Throttle body/ egr spacer question
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old September 4th, 2010, 04:14 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

86 Mustang GT

zacfaughn is on a distinguished road

Throttle body/ egr spacer question

Just bought an 86 5.0 less than a month ago. I've never been a big car guy until I purchased her. So I will probably have a lot of questions that seem basic to the average mustang guru. I want to order a throttle body/ egr spacer and they come in sizes from 65 mm like up 105mm. Which one would fit in mine?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2010, 08:56 AM   #2
MM Fanatic

89 GT

fogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura about

What intake is on the car? What are your plans for the car?
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:06 AM   #3

86 Mustang GT

Well my plans for the car are to replace everything that's crapper out. The guy I bought it from kind of did the bare minimum to keep the wheels rolling. Like I said I honestly know little about cars but I'm doing my best to learn. As far as the exhaust I believe it's the stock manifold.
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:10 AM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fogged306 View Post
What intake is on the car? What are your plans for the car?
Originally Posted by zacfaughn View Post
Well my plans for the car are to replace everything that's crapper out. The guy I bought it from kind of did the bare minimum to keep the wheels rolling. Like I said I honestly know little about cars but I'm doing my best to learn. As far as the exhaust I believe it's the stock manifold.
No.. he means your air intake manifold. on top of the engine where your TB and EGR are conected.
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:16 AM   #5

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

And do you plan on sticking with the stock air intake manifold or go with a bigger better flowing one.Do you plan on changing your heads, exhaust ect... need to know these things in order to tell you what size TB and EGR would be best for your app
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:41 AM   #6

86 Mustang GT

As far as the intake manifold just looks like your basic manifold nothing impressive. I'd eventually like to get a trickflow or cobra intake manifold ... Or whatever someone else suggests. Should I just hold off and wait? I wish I could upload a pic but I'm having to do this all off an iPhone due to Internet in Germany
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:51 AM   #7

1991 Ford Mustang GT

I read some where that if your going to leave every thing stock then a 65mm TB is good. If you plan on just changing your air intake then also a 65mm TB is good. And if your going to go with a bigger cam and aftermarket heads along with the air intake maifold then 70mm TB is good. And if after all that you plan on using a power adder such as a supercharger then go with 75mm TB and above. WHAT DO THE REST OF YOU GUYS THINK ? IS THAT A GOOD RULE TO GO BY ? OR NO ?
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:01 AM   #8

86 Mustang GT

Right now I've got bbk headers.... Old and rusted. Going to be replaced. I'm satisfied with the intake manifold for now I just didn't know which would fit bc of the size of the hose going to the cold air intake... Which will also be replaced.
Old September 5th, 2010, 05:02 AM   #9

86 Mustang GT

Gotcha heads.... Not headers... Mulligan
Old September 5th, 2010, 09:19 AM   #10

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Originally Posted by ryanw View Post
I read some where that if your going to leave every thing stock then a 65mm TB is good. If you plan on just changing your air intake then also a 65mm TB is good. And if your going to go with a bigger cam and aftermarket heads along with the air intake maifold then 70mm TB is good. And if after all that you plan on using a power adder such as a supercharger then go with 75mm TB and above. WHAT DO THE REST OF YOU GUYS THINK ? IS THAT A GOOD RULE TO GO BY ? OR NO ?
The general concensus is to go with the biggest throttle body that fits on your intake.... meaning measure the throttle body opening on the intake, and go with the same size.

But if it were me, I wouldn't buy any until I changed the intake. The tiny little bit that you could see from a throttle body swap is not worth buying a throttle body twice. If you go with a TF intake, you're looking at a 75mm opening; cobra is 70mm. And you don't want to put a bigger tb on than the opening or you will have a nasty lip that will screw up the air flow.

The reason that I know this is because I have a 65mm, a 70mm and the current one on my car now - a 75mm.
Old September 5th, 2010, 11:05 AM   #11

86 Mustang GT

Thanks for everyone that helped me out w this. This really is addictive bc now I'm sitting here trying to figure out what else to throw into my 86.
Old September 5th, 2010, 01:28 PM   #12

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0

Don't bother with a throttle body on the stock 86 intake. If I remember correctly the throttle opening on the intake is 58mm. Putting a bigger throttle body on a poor flowing intake is a waste.

***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
Old September 5th, 2010, 03:03 PM   #13

86 Mustang GT

I did end up ordering it before I read final post. I'll throw it on there and if all else fails I'll just take it off.
Old September 5th, 2010, 04:13 PM   #14

1991 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Posted by zacfaughn View Post
I did end up ordering it before I read final post. I'll throw it on there and if all else fails I'll just take it off.
Get a better intake
Old September 5th, 2010, 10:25 PM   #15
Banned

flyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really nice

go to corral.net and check out the classifides section.. find an intake for much cheaper and bolt that new fresh throttle body on to that bitch.

an engine is a huge air pump so you want to get the air in with least amount of resistance as possible and the same goes with getting the spent air/fuel out of the motor with that said the biggest restrictions on your motor is the stock heads and stock intake manifold. So set your goals and then ask all the questions you can think of to get you to that goal with the car before spending any money and you'll be buying parts once rather then buying shit then having to rebuy a better or correct part
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/181980-throttle-body-egr-spacer-question.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Throttle body/ egr spacer question | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback March 24th, 2012 06:30 AM

Threads Similar to: Throttle body/ egr spacer question
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Throttle Body + Spacer question FortMustanger V6 Mustangs 11 May 21st, 2010 02:10 PM
Throttle body spacer question metallicat 2005 - 2010 V6 9 January 15th, 2009 06:27 PM
egr spacer with bigger throttle body fastford3388 5.0 Mustangs 6 July 9th, 2008 09:20 PM
throttle body spacer JASonic The Clubhouse 11 July 18th, 2007 09:46 PM
Throttle Body Spacer Question cobraetti 5.0 Mustangs 15 November 1st, 2006 05:32 PM