Modded Mustang Forums banner

94-98 Wiper Cowl repair

9K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  orangestang42 
#1 ·
ok my wiper cowl underneath my windshield wipers is cracked and faded and looks like ****, i want to take it off and repair it and paint it black...but i dont know how to get it off and was hoping someone could give me a rundown on how to get it off the car, its already cracked so im not worried about that. But i will not pay what the price they want for a new one, so it will be easier to just glue it and paint it...thanks for the help

#7 ·
but anyways im tryin to save some money and do the repair myself, what i was planning on doing was glue the broken pieces, use body filler to fill in the cracks, then use a primer, and then finish it off with gloss black and clear coat...

#9 ·
Thats a waste of time in my opinion. there time better spent doing other things. all the time you will spend glueing, adding body filler sanding priming and painting then then it may not even look right. if the cowl were 300-400 dollars then id say yes try and repaire your old one but im willing to bet you can pick one up for less then a 100-150

#10 ·
yeah, but i am on a STRICT budget right now and i think the money could be used elsewhere, and i know it something i could do by myself to where it would come out looking halfway decent or even better than it does now, its faded from the sun and cracked on the ends, i mainly just want to get rid of the dullness, i want to get gloss black on it so it will shine, it just throws the look of the whole car off

#11 ·
I understand but it sounds like it wont be as strong and your going to spend 30-40 dollars just trying to repair it. so for another 60 dollars you have some thing that looks good and saved you a **** load of time. But its your money not mine so i get it. just wanted to give you a different point of view. Good luck with it hope it comes out good

#12 ·
yeah i understand what your saying, but pretty much the only thing im gonna use is primer, spray paint, sand paper, and glue which most of the stuff i already have...so im gonna give it a shot. I have some of that gorilla glue and its pretty strong so im just going to load that up on there and sand any of the extra and then try to get it back on without breaking it, if it does break i wont be bummed out because it will shine again...it just looks SOO bad right now, lol

#14 ·
Do you guys realize that the sn95 cowl panel is removable? Its a piece of plastic held down by clips. remove the wiper arms, slip your hand in under the rubber where the hood hinges are, and pull. Then go to the junkyard and get one for 30 or so dollars.

#15 ·
I know it removable. thats what im saying just replace it. I didnt know you could get it for 30 dollars though. thats the way to go for sure. I 100% agree

#16 ·
and yes i know its removable, its already off the car, but the junkyards do not have them because most of them are either gone or broken by the time the car gets there, ur lucky if u can find one, but i started the prep work already but the one side is gonna be cracked because i cant get it to glue back together but it wont bother me to much because i fixed the other side
will be painting in the morning

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.