351c heads on 302
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 18th, 2010, 11:32 PM   #1

1990 Mustang LX

streetstrip302 is on a distinguished road
Question

351c heads on 302

Is it true I can bolt 351c heads onto my 302? What modifications have to be made to do this? Do the years and v's of the heads make a difference? Which ones should I avoid? WHAT ABOUT 351W HEADS? WOULD THEY BE EASIER? I FOUND A SET OFF A 71 FOR $50 whats the deal?
533 Crane Cam, Shorty Headers, Flowmaster 40 series, off-road x-pipe, no cats, no egr, underdrive pulleys, DOT slicks, Adj. fuel pressure reg, Fabrocated intake, short ram CAI, skinnies in front, ported E7, 1.6 rockers, valve to match cam, and more

Last edited by streetstrip302; December 18th, 2010 at 11:44 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 18th, 2010, 11:49 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

89 GT

fogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura about

Cleveland heads will work but you'll need a intake for it, different headers, notch the pistons or get cleveland specific ones, and I believe some of the waterjacket openings are in different spots. There may be more to it but that's all I remember at the moment. Look up the word clevor for more info if you don't get someone who's done it to reply to the thread.

All windsor heads will work on a 302, the 302 is technically a windsor engine. 351 heads aren't the greatest heads. GT-40s are still the best pushrod windsor head you can get out of the stock parts pile. Cleveland heads are a different story and aren't the poor flowing heads that the windsor ones are.
Old December 19th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #3

1993 lx
to be determined

93lxreef is on a distinguished road

Fogged 306 is right about water passages. the cleveland's waterneck is on the block, not the intake. I think frpp might offer the intake you need. 20 years ago ford motorsports did, anyway. I'm pretty sure the origional boss 302 was a 302w with cleveland heads....So that intake is out there. Good luck finding one, though. The 351w with cleveland heads was called a clevor..... ???? don't know if a 302 version was made??? I've got a friend that has the 351 clevor in his ski boat. Mercruiser made it. That intake won't work as it's the 9.5 deck 's width.

Cheapest way in the long run would be to stick with 302/351w heads..
good luck.

Old December 19th, 2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Regular

1981 4 EYED FREAK
9.48@147

rodeheavers is on a distinguished road

Its called a boss 302. A boss 302 is a 302 with cleveland heads. 351w heads on the other hand will bolt right on, with the exception of have 1/2" head bolt holes in the head, if you have this problem with higher hp you will need to get the special washers to fill in the space.

www.rodeheavershotrod.com
9.48@147 on pump gas through the
mufflers, still has pw,tilt,t-tops,all
lights, wipers!!!, check out the vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SloE3Zdetac
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #5

89 GT Convert, 66 Notch

femurphy77 is on a distinguished road

Listen to fogged306, search clevor. IIRC back in the day an outfit out of Arkansas made one of the first if not THE first intake to put cleveland heads on a 302 block. You had to drill a couple of steam vent holes into the heads, no big deal thought they provided a template for that and I believe the were like a 3/16" bit. If you're looking to recreate the boss 302 look this is a great way to do it. The water outlet isn't an issue, the intake you'll end up with will have the water neck in the standard 289/302/5.0 location.

All of that being said I have been contemplating just such a creature more to wow the parking lot crowd that wouldn't know better. I wonder though from strictly a performace standpoint with the trove of available 5.0 heads available nowadays, is this a worthy mod on a street performance motor? I'm guessing that due to the huge difference in port sizes that a set of rock stock cleveland heads would outperform an unmassage set of aftermarket 5.0 heads, am I off base here?

Check this link: http://tomsmustangbarn.tripod.com/sbossbuild.htm

Last edited by femurphy77; December 19th, 2010 at 11:31 AM. Reason: found link
Old December 19th, 2010, 11:49 AM   #6
Regular

Av8tor is on a distinguished road

If you check out the edelbrock site they make intakes for people who want to do a "clevor". They also have cleveland heads that are ready to go onto a windsor. I looked into doing it a bit as it seems like more of a unique way to do things. But from what ive read its not that hard at all to get the stock cleveland heads on.
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:33 PM   #7

1993 lx
to be determined

93lxreef is on a distinguished road

Here's a good read on the subject!

Ford Boss 302 Engine Build - Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine

Old December 20th, 2010, 12:59 AM   #8
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by 93lxreef View Post
Here's a good read on the subject!

Ford Boss 302 Engine Build - Modified Mustangs & Fords Magazine
good read

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
Old December 20th, 2010, 09:14 PM   #9
Regular

1984 Mustang LX

FOX347 is on a distinguished road

If you go with the cleveland heads make sure to find a pair of 4 valve heads and not the 2 valves of possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 351c heads on 302
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
351c 3x2 460brevill Classic Mustangs 1 June 21st, 2008 11:44 AM
351C rjhurtu 5.0 Mustangs 1 April 9th, 2007 09:12 AM
351c in a 96 v6 possible? 94v6blkndred V6 Mustangs 1 April 8th, 2007 11:43 PM
351c heads 1990CA50 5.0 Mustangs 2 February 7th, 2007 08:43 PM