How do you change out the speedo gear?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:29 PM   #1
Regular

1989 GT Hatch

YNOT is on a distinguished road

How do you change out the speedo gear?

I have a new speedo gear (red 7T 21) in the mail for my 89' 5.0 5-speed that is going into the shop and getting Ford Racing 3.73's this Friday.

How/where do I change that speedo gear? Any links?

I was just looking after I ordered on other sites and they offer a 6T 18 and a 7T 21. I thought I needed the 21 but now I don't know.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Regular

1991 Mustang GT

fastford3388 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fastford3388

i'm pretty sure you just pull the speedo cable out of the tranny (it is held in by one bolt.) and there should be a c clip type thing holding it in place. I've done this atleast 5 times on autos, 5 speed should be similar.

- '90 Mustang LX-Sold "Debbie"
- '89 Mustang GT- Deceased "Lucy"
- '91 Mustang GT-70,000 mi "The Unicorn"

Old May 1st, 2007, 10:04 PM   #3
Regular

1993 Mustang LX Vert

shurb125 is on a distinguished road

Whoever you bought the gears from should be able to tell you what color you need. The actual gear is located at the transmission end of the speedometer cable, it is on the drivers side of the transmission, the cable is held down with a lock shaped like a "U" and is held down by a bolt that goes into the housing. Just take out that bolt, slip out the "U" shaped lock and pull the cable out and change the gear on the end, I beleive it is also held on by some sort of clip also. Hope that helps.
Old May 2nd, 2007, 09:43 AM   #4
Enthusiast

stang fanatic is on a distinguished road

the driven gear as said before is haeld in place by a c-clip on the end of the cable. the drive gear, on the trans is retained with a spring clip and the tailshaft housing must be removed to replace the gear.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: How do you change out the speedo gear?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How can I change my speedo for 4.10's? militant54 96 - 98 20 October 17th, 2007 04:22 PM
Speedo Gear G.T. Rags 96 - 98 5 September 17th, 2007 06:58 PM
speedo change thetrooper31 V6 Mustangs 2 June 28th, 2007 01:40 PM
What Speedo Gear Do I Need? Casper98GT Modular Mustangs 1 May 24th, 2007 01:03 AM
3.73 and speedo gear untamed97stang Modular Mustangs 4 April 26th, 2007 11:31 AM