Valve adjustment on Ford 302
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #1

1988 5.0 Mustang Coupe

Wilhelm is on a distinguished road

Valve adjustment on Ford 302

Hey all,
I've recently been fixing all the little annoying things on my fox body and one of the things left that still annoys me is the lifter tick from the engine, due to the valves needing to be adjusted.

I would attempt to do it myself, but I'm short on time lately with work and school and I would rather just have it done properly.

So my question is this: How much would it cost to have a shop adjust the valves on my mustang? It's a 1988 Mustang with a SBF 302 motor (still fuel injected).

Let me know if any other information is needed.

Thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #2
Enthusiast

'88 Mustang GT

DigitalDC89 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to DigitalDC89

Do you mean a valve job? Because The stock rocker arms aren't adjustable, just torque to spec and go. Maybe one got loose, or a pushrob is bent a little. Pull the valve covers and take a look before paying a shop to do it.
Old April 12th, 2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Because SBF

1969 Mustang Mach 1
6.12@112

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle
69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of

Have you called a shop to ask? It's simple to do yourself.
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

gaymaro
12.97 @140mph

flattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura about

When your valve train is stock like yours and the lifters are ticking, thatd just be the lifters ticking lol.
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:11 PM   #5

1988 5.0 Mustang Coupe

The motor is not stock, it has COMP Cams Roller Lifters & COMP Cams 1.6 Roller Rockers.
Old April 12th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #6
Banned

flyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really niceflyin ryan is just really nice

idk I useally have a friend do this shit but how i've done it before with my father was :

You have to be on the base circle of the camshaft in order to adjust the valve train.
To adjust per cyl:
-adjust the intake valve when the exhaust lifter/pushrod on the same cyl is just starting to come up. 1/4 turn on the adjuster nut and lock

-adjust the exhaust valve when the intake lifter/pushrod on the same cyl is 3/4 of the way down. 1/4 turn on the adjuster nut and lock

or use of a dial indicator, I would measure .050 preload at the lifter. Check 2, 3 or 4 different lifters noting the rotation amount (1/2, 3/4, full turn) to get to the .050 preload. Then adjust the others to this amount
Old April 12th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

89 GT

fogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura about

Are they stud rockers or pedestal? What heads? Who did the work on the engine? Do you know if the pushrod length is correct? Hydraulic lifters or solid? Lots of info needed to have an idea to tell you what you need to do or where to look. For all we know, you may have a mis-match if parts if you're not stock and adjusting them all you want won't help.
Old April 12th, 2011, 09:00 PM   #8
Because SBF

1969 Mustang Mach 1
6.12@112

69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of

The key to setting the proper preload, is being able to find 0 lash. 0 lash is when all the slack is taken out of the valvetrain, so there is no slack between the cam lobe, lifter, pushrod, and rocker.

Rotate the engine in it's normal direction, and right when the exhaust valve moves, stop the rotation. Now you're ready to adjust the intake valve. Loosen the retaining nut, until the rocker arm is loose. Now, slowly tighten the nut with one hand, and spin the pushrod with the other. Just as soon as you feel a small amount of tension on the pushrod, stop tightening the nut. This should be 0 lash. It should be the point where there is no slack (lash) in the valvetrain, but not tight at all, if that makes sense. You may try it several times to get a feel for it.

Once you get to 0 lash, tighten the nut another 1/2 turn to set your preload. Now you're done with that valve.

Now, continue turning the engine until the intake valve cycles fully open, and then closes about 1/2-2/3 of the way, and set that valve the same way. Find 0 lash, then set the preload. Do this for all the cylinders, and you're good. Easy stuff.
Old April 13th, 2011, 12:44 PM   #9

1988 5.0 Mustang Coupe

Alright thanks guys, I'll probably be taking the valve covers off this weekend to give it a try and I'll report back with my findings.

Cheers.
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #10

1988 Mustang

88Saleen is on a distinguished road

depending on what cam you have it may require more preload. it its stock cam 1/2 turn would be good. Call the cam manufacture if its aftermarket and ask them the recommended preload.
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:38 PM   #11
Because SBF

1969 Mustang Mach 1
6.12@112

1/2 turn will work with most any cam. When you get into changing the dynamics of the cam, you can change preload. Typicall, if you want it to rev a little higher, you go with less preload, and you can add some bottom end and throttle response with a little more preload. 1/2 turn will always work though.

Even on my cam, bullet recommended 1/2 turn, and it's 242/250 @.050.
Old April 13th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #12

1988 Mustang

88Saleen is on a distinguished road

mine was reccomended 1 turn, and its a 232/240 at .050"
Old April 13th, 2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Because SBF

1969 Mustang Mach 1
6.12@112

One turn is a shitload. I've heard of people running that much by their own decision, but I've never seen a manufacturer recommend that much the more preload you put on it, the less margin for error there is.

A lot of the preload depends on the lifter as well. I wouldn't put a turn on a stock lifter, but that's just me.
Old April 13th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #14

1988 5.0 Mustang Coupe

I believe the motor has an F303 cam in it. It is also my understanding that not many people like the alphabet cams but it will have to work for now. How many people would recommend a Trick Flow cam in the future?
Old April 14th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #15
Regular

oldfox is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
One turn is a shitload. I've heard of people running that much by their own decision, but I've never seen a manufacturer recommend that much the more preload you put on it, the less margin for error there is.

A lot of the preload depends on the lifter as well. I wouldn't put a turn on a stock lifter, but that's just me.
I always go with a 1/2 turn also. But if you look at a lifter when it's not pumped up and play with it you would be surprised how much leeway there is
to work with when compared to how much the rocker arm moves down per turn.
Not me I agree 1 full turn is a shitload LOL

Last edited by oldfox; April 14th, 2011 at 10:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Valve adjustment on Ford 302
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Valve Lash Adjustment IcantDo55 5.0 Mustangs 6 April 2nd, 2008 09:50 PM
rocker/valve lash adjustment Hunt_chevs 5.0 Mustangs 5 March 25th, 2008 02:55 AM
Valve lash adjustment shurb125 5.0 Mustangs 8 March 10th, 2008 09:52 PM
Valve adjustment 91 5.0 lx hatch 5.0 Mustangs 7 September 26th, 2007 02:00 PM
valve adjustment 86_Notch 5.0 Mustangs 0 March 28th, 2007 08:48 PM