Modded Mustang Forums banner

1988 Ford Mustang GT Convertible Mustang Problems

8K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  jpalm 
#1 ·
My uncle gave me a white 88 Gt vert for free, and it runs perfect but has some things that need to be worked on.. For one the horn doesnt work at all.. I was driving it today and out of nowhere theres a squeaky sound from the car that u really cant hear it unless u pay close attention to it.. could it be the shocks, suspension? Thanks

#3 ·
Could be a belt or worn brakes too. I never heard a squeaky throw out bearing, but I never owned a T-5. I have heard throw out bearings go grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You know that grinding sound. I couldn't figure out how to spell it.

#5 ·
Rustbelt said:
my horn or cruse doesnt work as well!
The cruise and horn contacts in the wheel share the same ground. Sounds like you could have a ground problem. Check both fuses. Run a wire from the battery to the horn or horns to see if they work. But the common denominator is the wheel contacts and the ground for the wheel.

#7 ·
neverfastenough said:
Could be a belt or worn brakes too. I never heard a squeaky throw out bearing, but I never owned a T-5. I have heard throw out bearings go grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. You know that grinding sound. I couldn't figure out how to spell it.
my dad's truck has a bad throw bearing and it sounds like a bird chirping under the car. it's kind of weird.

#8 ·
GTsetGO said:
neverfastenough said:
my dad's truck has a bad throw bearing and it sounds like a bird chirping under the car. it's kind of weird.
Hmmm, have to keep that in mind if mine ever starts sounding like tweetie. Thanks man.

#9 ·
there are so many ways for these cars to sqeak. on my car where the top hooks to the clamp was bent so the hooks didnt hold it down tight and it took me for ever to find out that was where the sound was coming from.

You could try some subframe connectors and that would take out the flex that these cars are known for. also lubercate all the hinges that move the top.

#11 ·
Deff.. not the throw out bearing guys... im just confused now as to what it is...? The horn also havent tried the cruise yet but will tommorow but there isnt even a horn button like cushion there to press the horn... Thanks again will 225/55/16 fit good with my pony wheels, will they rub or anything? Thanks

#12 ·
i doubt they would rub on anything unless something came loose in the wheel well.

all the regular fuses are good i need to hunt down the fuse links to check those. it looks like i have to tear into the steering col. to check the llinks there. thanks.

and this is odd i cant find the horn? where is the stock location? i think the prev owner removed it.

#15 ·
sometimes it is kinda jumpy, and now at times not always wen i start it has a buzzing kind of noise maybe coming from the back ? I also sometimes get really rough idle it bounces slowly from 700 to 1500 and 1000 and over and over again...

#18 ·
Thanks for that, I will try it tommorow, now I'm having a headlight problem they dont go on when i switch them on I have to play around a little with the directional light stick and push it back as if to stay in high beams and it will go on sometimes and will flicker at times or shut off with my fog lights being off... I still can't figure out how to fix the horn either, it just won't work Thanks...

#19 ·
electrical problems

Have had a few over the years on a convert and and LX, found that the ignition switch was bad on the LX (no turn signals, no a/c), when I took the connector off of it, it fell off the column. On the 91 convert, had a multitude of electrial problems and found the multi-fuction switch to be bad (turn signals, wipers, headlight bright/dim, etc....) Hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.