Things I noticed when doing the 5.0 swap into 4 cyl car
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:03 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Enthusiast

OTreborO is on a distinguished road

Things I noticed when doing the 5.0 swap into 4 cyl car

Electronic fuel pump on the Fox body cars is the same for the 4 cyl vs the 8 cyl.

The fuel lines can be easily removed from the 4 cyl, and moved to the 8 cyl. The 4 cyl is on the driver side, while the 8 cyl is on the passenger side.

Headlight/alt wiring is switched 180 degress on the 4 cyl/8cyl. The alt is on the driver side on the 4 cyl

Wiring harness is not bad to change over, I only found one connector that was different. It was the one that is on the driver's side of the car, and does not get swapped out. The one harness is a 3 plug, the other is a 2 plug. The wires are color coded, so just snip the connector off of the v8 and solder it to the 4 cyl harnesss. The wires are color coded, so I guess you don't even need the connector. One of the wires is not used anyway, and this will be easy to fiqure out. It is the one that is not there on the other harness :-)

The fitings for the cruise control/throttle are different, so take the ones off of the v8 car.

Update to post:

I tried to use the old 4 cyl wiring harness for the fusebox, but it would not work. Maybe if it is the same year, but the 4 cyl was a 89 and the 8 cyl was a 90, and there were alot of changes from 89 to 90. I went back to the salvage yard, and got the complete harness, and I do mean complete from the same car that I got the engine. I was having problems with the fuel pump, horn, lights, etc. Now all is ok.

Wow, this has been one heck of a project
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

11.21@123 -150 shot

orangeRcode is on a distinguished road

Good post. Thanks for sharing.
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM   #3
Enthusiast

OTreborO is on a distinguished road

Brakes

I also changed the front springs to the 8 cyl car springs, the rear springs are the same, but I pulled them all, and put new coil spring insulators, available at autozone in black or red. Front part number 4.6102G, rear part number 4.6101G. I also put new sway bar to lower control arm hardware and rubber, again from autozone in red or black. When installing the sway bar I found out that I had to connect the lower control arm to sway bar hardware first, then lift up on the sway bar, and start the bolts that attach it to the frame. If I attached the sway bar first, I wasn't able to connect the other hardware. This may have been because the engine was not in the car.

If you use the v8 front brakes, which I suggest, you will also need the little bracket that connects the flexible brake hose to the solid brake line. This clip/bracket attaches to the car, and is different for the 4 cyl brakes vs the 8 cyl brakes.

Oh yeah, I also changed the rack and pinnion steering because the fittings on the v8 pump are different than the 4 cyl pump, the v8 also has an extra length of tubing for the fluid, I guess for cooling??? It is mounted in front of the radiator, and goes through the frame on the drivers side, and circulates the fluid.

If you are not having fun yet, I suggest you go ahead and also change out the heater core.

Enjoy
Old June 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1999 Ford Mustang V6
14.79 @ 92.15

AtlanticBlue99 is a glorious beacon of lightAtlanticBlue99 is a glorious beacon of lightAtlanticBlue99 is a glorious beacon of lightAtlanticBlue99 is a glorious beacon of lightAtlanticBlue99 is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via AIM to AtlanticBlue99

Great info!
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic8_7.gif
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old June 6th, 2006, 11:55 PM   #5
Enthusiast

stang fanatic is on a distinguished road

yo are correct on the p/s tubing...it was to cool the fluid cause the v8 typically had the sport steering set up

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith. "
Old June 14th, 2006, 11:40 PM   #6
Regular

ttop5.0 is on a distinguished road

good info bro, thanks
Old July 26th, 2006, 05:47 PM   #7

wv_horse_trader is on a distinguished road

If I remember correctly that extra fitting on the 4 cyl p/s is a WOT cutout switch to give the 4 banger more power when hitting the gas. You still have that hose? Do you want the car to hook or corner? in reference to swapping the 4 cyl springs - Yeah I was little suprised to find the 88 liter Fuel Pump on an 88 4 -Banger was the same as a 86GT - I reasoned then that Ford worked out the kinks on the 86GT since it also had a smaller throttle body then the 87s ( I believe 55 mm vs 58 mm)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/2377-things-i-noticed-when-doing-5-0-swap-into-4-cyl-car.html
Posted By For Type Date
Untitled document This thread Refback April 17th, 2013 06:21 AM

Threads Similar to: Things I noticed when doing the 5.0 swap into 4 cyl car
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
You Know What I Just Noticed? MSO The Clubhouse 50 November 9th, 2007 02:34 PM
Just noticed something today Murderjetz General Tech 6 October 25th, 2007 05:21 PM
k so i've noticed MSO The Clubhouse 4 September 2nd, 2007 04:31 PM
I know that all of you have noticed this. noob The Clubhouse 22 July 17th, 2007 11:53 PM