3.55 Rear end gears, awaiting purchase
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:13 PM   #1
Regular

Sinatra is on a distinguished road

3.55 Rear end gears, awaiting purchase

I have stumbled upon 3.55 gears from a 2001 cobra. Will the go in my 94 gt?

Old November 9th, 2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

Yup.
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:31 PM   #3
Regular

Talked him down to $40. Brand new. Score.
Old November 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sinatra View Post
Talked him down to $40. Brand new. Score.
That's an awesome price. I have 3:55 brand new still in the box that I bought 10 years ago a still haven't put them in. Lol

I'm thinking about selling them. But there's no way in hell I'd let them go for 40 bucks. I'm thinking about going with 3:73 now. Not sure yet what I'm going to do

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears

Last edited by ryanw; November 9th, 2011 at 09:01 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old November 9th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Regular

Originally Posted by ryanw View Post
That's an awesome price. I have 3:55 brand new still in the box that I bought 10 years ago a still haven't put them in. Lol

I'm thinking about selling them. But there's no way in he'll I'd let them go for 40 bucks. I'm thinking about going with 3:73 now. Not sure yet what I'm going to do
I wanted 3.73 but this was too good to pass up. 3.55 should be totally sufficient. Have been keeping my eyes pealed to craigslist since I got the car.

I just remembered that I changed the rear gasket, all new fluids when I got it. What a waste that was lol
Old November 10th, 2011, 10:48 AM   #6
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking about selling them. But there's no way in hell I'd let them go for 40 bucks. I'm thinking about going with 3:73 now. Not sure yet what I'm going to do
Yeah, the set of 3.73s I just got in had been sitting in my garage for about 7 years, hahaha.

If you've already got 3.27s (per your sig), I don't think the jump to 3.55s would be worth it from a seat-of-the-pants perspective. Now, if you've done the math for the quarter, and know that 3.73s would add a shift, 3.55s would be a better choice, but that's about the only situation in which I think you're better off with the higher gears.

Basically 3.55s are only getting you a 8.5% increase, where 3.73s get you 14%.
Old November 10th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #7
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Are you installing them yourself? If not...

3.55 gears, $40. Install, $300-400 depending on your area, total cost. $440
New 3.73 gear, $180, $300-400 depending on your area, total cost. $580, only $140 more.

You already have a 3.27, 3.55 is not a big jump at all, 200 rpm cruising, 300 at shift point. If you are tweaking your track end rpm and tire swaps can't make up the difference and the 3.55 gets you where you want to be then go for it, other than that, a waste.

Buy the good deal on the 3.55's, assume they are in good shape, resell them for the average going rate on Corral and then buy some 3.73 or 4.10's.

Last edited by nolife; November 10th, 2011 at 12:00 PM.
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #8
Regular

Originally Posted by nolife View Post
Are you installing them yourself? If not...

3.55 gears, $40. Install, $300-400 depending on your area, total cost. $440
New 3.73 gear, $180, $300-400 depending on your area, total cost. $580, only $140 more.

You already have a 3.27, 3.55 is not a big jump at all, 200 rpm cruising, 300 at shift point. If you are tweaking your track end rpm and tire swaps can't make up the difference and the 3.55 gets you where you want to be then go for it, other than that, a waste.

Buy the good deal on the 3.55's, assume they are in good shape, resell them for the average going rate on Corral and then buy some 3.73 or 4.10's.
Installing myself . I'm going from stock to 3.55s...should be a nice difference.
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #9
MM Fanatic

89 GT

fogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
Now, if you've done the math for the quarter, and know that 3.73s would add a shift, 3.55s would be a better choice, but that's about the only situation in which I think you're better off with the higher gears.

Basically 3.55s are only getting you a 8.5% increase, where 3.73s get you 14%.
You've got to look at that in a different perspective. Acceleration is what gets you through the 1/4 faster and 3.73's will accelerate the car faster than 3.55's will. Just because you will have to add a shift doesn't mean that you'll go slower, quite the opposite. Ideally, you want to be at the top of 4th gear in a 5 speed car when you cross the traps. Depending on engine, trans, and tire size that may or may not make 3.73's a better choice, but usually lower power cars benefit from more gear in the 1/4 and get you closer to the top of 4th at the traps.
Old November 10th, 2011, 04:30 PM   #10
MM Fanatic

89 GT

fogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura aboutfogged306 has a spectacular aura about

Installing myself . I'm going from stock to 3.55s...should be a nice difference.
What is your stock ratio? If it's 3.27, you're going to be disappointed like nolife suggested.
Old November 10th, 2011, 05:59 PM   #11
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

I think every one is getting me and Sinatra confused. I'm not sure what his stock gear is. But I'm the one that has the 3:27 in my car now. And I also have 3:55 new still in the box. I was thinking of getting rid of the 3:55 and getting some 3:73. Would I be better off throughing in the 3:55, or would I be better off getting the 3:73.

I have a 5 speed, and I'm will end up supercharging it wary next year. The car will not see that much track time. Knowing all this, what do you think

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears

Last edited by ryanw; November 10th, 2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:27 AM   #12
Regular

Originally Posted by fogged306 View Post
What is your stock ratio? If it's 3.27, you're going to be disappointed like nolife suggested.
I'm pretty sure stock 5.0gt are 2.73 gears.
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:35 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

mustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nice

I'm pretty sure stock 5.0gt are 2.73 gears.
stock 5.0 with 5spd is 3.08
04 N/A Terminator swap,T56,O/R X pipe, Borla Stingers,Tubular front suspension,Coilovers,Koni Shocks/Struts,MM Subframe Connectors,Steeda front/rear sway bar,MGW short throw shifter,staggered Cobra wheels,Cobra front/rear bumpers,S281 Wing,300rwhp
Old November 11th, 2011, 11:51 AM   #14
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

Originally Posted by mustangmaniac95 View Post
stock 5.0 with 5spd is 3.08
Not exactly. 3.08s were a factory option, but the stock gears were 2.73s.
Old November 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM   #15
The Big Spoon

88 5.0 5 Speed Notch <><
never fast enough

jessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to all

perhaps 3:08's came w stick. my lx coupe is a 5 spd and came w 3:08. i swapped in a whole other rear from a 92 lx auto vert and it was a 2.73.

Originally Posted by 302Army187 View Post
old 5.0's are like a box of chocolates.......... never know what your gonna get
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:03 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

mustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nicemustangmaniac95 is just really nice

i bought my car all stock and the original owner got the factory option 3.27 gears
04 N/A Terminator swap,T56,O/R X pipe, Borla Stingers,Tubular front suspension,Coilovers,Koni Shocks/Struts,MM Subframe Connectors,Steeda front/rear sway bar,MGW short throw shifter,staggered Cobra wheels,Cobra front/rear bumpers,S281 Wing,300rwhp
Old November 11th, 2011, 01:11 PM   #17
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

At least with foxbodies, 3.27s were a factory option, but only behind automatics. Guess that changed with SN95s.
Old November 11th, 2011, 02:44 PM   #18
The Big Spoon

88 5.0 5 Speed Notch <><
never fast enough

jessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to alljessemachone is a name known to all

or it could be a gt vs lx thing.

Originally Posted by 302Army187 View Post
old 5.0's are like a box of chocolates.......... never know what your gonna get
Old November 11th, 2011, 03:15 PM   #19
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert

Originally Posted by jessemachone View Post
or it could be a gt vs lx thing.
Huh? No. For foxbodies (at least aero cars), 2.73s were stock, 3.08s were a factory option, and 3.27s were a factory option behind automatics. GT vs LX had nothing to do with it.
Old November 11th, 2011, 06:37 PM   #20
Regular

1989 LX

ELEX is on a distinguished road

swap me out your 327 rear for my 373 rear, bam! done

89 notchback | 306, cam, t5
79 notchback | Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 3.55 Rear end gears, awaiting purchase
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need advice for supsension upgrade to awaiting '12 GT ragz06 2011 - 2014 1 February 28th, 2011 11:03 AM
Preview of parts awaiting install PapaSmurf 99 - 04 20 November 5th, 2008 05:02 AM
newest purchase + question on rear end kuskye25 5.0 Mustangs 16 February 27th, 2008 10:59 PM
rear end gears theyanks904 V6 Mustangs 11 February 19th, 2008 08:53 AM
Gears and t-lok - group purchase DaemonJ V6 Mustangs 2 February 14th, 2007 07:27 PM