88' Cam Suggestions
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 27th, 2011, 12:23 AM   #1

2001 Cobra

lanceab149 is on a distinguished road

88' Cam Suggestions

Hi everyone, I am about to start rebuilding the engine in my 88 5.0 and I want to put in a performance cam, but I have seen some other people that put in cams that are way too big and the car has trouble starting and has an extremely rough idle, and honestly I have hardly any cam knowledge. I'd like something somewhat mild. In my rebuild I am going to port and polish the heads, maybe oversized pistons(if i have to hone the cylinders much), put the Ford Racing Cobra EFI Intake Manifold kit, CAI, and maybe headers. Any suggestions on a cam brand/size would be great.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 27th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #2
Enthusiast

Canary yellow 1990 GT
Praying for 11's after winter mods

LSX Freak is on a distinguished road

Don't waste a dime on your stock heads......
Old December 27th, 2011, 01:16 AM   #3
Sheriff Metal Face

1990 Notch 5.0

Chris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the roughChris951 is a jewel in the rough

Not gonna work on speed density
Old December 27th, 2011, 08:52 AM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

If your car is a 49 state car from 88 and doesn't have mass-air, then there are very few cams that you can run without running into driveability issues unless you were to get a custom chip burned for it. If that is going to be your setup for a while, and you really want everything that you can get out of it, I would either A: Get a cam that will work with speed density, or B: Just do the mass air conversion now.

Also, if you are paying money to port and polish stock heads, you are throwing money out the window. Not worth the money spent. You could go find yourself a set of explorer heads and pick up more power, if you are on a budget.
Old December 27th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #5

2001 Cobra

What would I have to do for the mass air conversion?
Old December 31st, 2011, 12:09 AM   #6
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Computer, mass air harness, mass air meter... Just google it. Easy as shit.
Old January 2nd, 2012, 05:15 AM   #7
MM Fanatic

Best wifey EVAR!

HighDensity has much to be proud ofHighDensity has much to be proud ofHighDensity has much to be proud ofHighDensity has much to be proud ofHighDensity has much to be proud ofHighDensity has much to be proud ofHighDensity has much to be proud ofHighDensity has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lanceab149 View Post
What would I have to do for the mass air conversion?
Basically look at it like this, your '88 has "speed density" and is setup to run on a specific setup. Any drastic change to that setup will cause problems. Yeah, you could burn a chip, but just not what I would do for this. From '89+ mustangs came with "mass air flow" (call it MAF) that basically automatically adjusts for moderate levels of modification. This link is pretty self explanatory and don't be scared of doing it, it is so simple, even switching the pins out in the computer (see link) is simple. I did the entire process (many years ago in my parents garage at age 20) in less than two hours. You can buy the components new ($$$$) or used from junk yards with wrecked '89-93 5.0's just make sure you get the right one (manual or automatic) along with a calibrated MAF sensor and harness. There are kits available for everything you need, your choice. Anyway, here's the info:

Mustang Mass Air Conversion StangNet

Originally Posted by FastStang91Lx View Post
Computer, mass air harness, mass air meter... Just google it. Easy as shit.
Yep
MM+ Cleavage Club #28
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:24 PM   #8

2001 Cobra

Originally Posted by HighDensity View Post
Basically look at it like this, your '88 has "speed density" and is setup to run on a specific setup. Any drastic change to that setup will cause problems. Yeah, you could burn a chip, but just not what I would do for this. From '89+ mustangs came with "mass air flow" (call it MAF) that basically automatically adjusts for moderate levels of modification. This link is pretty self explanatory and don't be scared of doing it, it is so simple, even switching the pins out in the computer (see link) is simple. I did the entire process (many years ago in my parents garage at age 20) in less than two hours. You can buy the components new ($$$$) or used from junk yards with wrecked '89-93 5.0's just make sure you get the right one (manual or automatic) along with a calibrated MAF sensor and harness. There are kits available for everything you need, your choice. Anyway, here's the info:

Mustang Mass Air Conversion StangNet

Yep

Thanks for the info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 88' Cam Suggestions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any suggestions?? 2002TBGT 99 - 04 2 August 3rd, 2011 09:26 PM
cam suggestions??? 96_5.0_Mustang General Tech 2 January 25th, 2010 12:40 AM
wax suggestions 08blkgt500 General Car Care & Detailing 19 September 3rd, 2009 07:28 AM
Need suggestions mustang95 5.0 V6 Mustangs 12 August 21st, 2009 10:54 AM
Need Suggestions ThE GhOsT RiDer 5.0 Mustangs 48 December 29th, 2007 05:23 PM