94 Mustang GT Modded By Chimps
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 3rd, 2012, 10:54 PM   #1

Spinetingler is on a distinguished road

94 Mustang GT Modded By Chimps

I have a grocery list of problems with a 94' GT with a 5 speed. I was told that it has a zoom kevlar racing clutch. At 2,500 rpm there is a very noticeable vibration. Above or below is smooth. Also the speedo is off by 7 mph. When the speedo reads 70 mph there is such a crazy palpable and audible vibration that I just pull it into neutral and coast until it goes away.
It will grind at times going into 2nd and 5th. It has popped out of gear in 5th many times. Suspecting clutch and flywheel. Thanks for any help.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 3rd, 2012, 11:14 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

Possible the clutch is not alinded right.

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
Old January 4th, 2012, 01:55 AM   #3
Regular

1991 gt convertible

thisguysride is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to thisguysride

the gears grinding could be a clutch issue, the popping out of fifth gear would almost make me think tranny internal problem, but then again if your clutch is out of wack you may not be going into gear completely. one thing i would try is once your in fifth gear, without touching the clutch let off the accelerator and pull the shifter down as if trying to slide it into gear. take not as to if it seems to completly slide int o gear and afer your do so note as to weather it pops out of gear after doing this.. if its a brand new clutch it could be grabbing alot. even when shifting. i had this problem on my cummings when i put a heavy towing clutch in. grabbed way more than it should have when shifting, did this for anout 2k miles till it wore itself in. then never had the problem again. you could also have a broken spring on the clutch...
Old January 5th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #4

Thanks guys! Also if I go for a high RPM launch...it will slip as though it is not even in gear.
I have to do a rolling launch or it slips terribly. Not sure if too much motor for the clutch/tranny or just another incompetent mod from the previous owner. Car is referred to as a "home made" car by a technician buddy of mine. LOL!
Old January 5th, 2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

91 Mustang GT
8.97 @ 162

gripthenboost will become famous soon enoughgripthenboost will become famous soon enough

pics of said home made car and ill tell you if its home made.
Old January 6th, 2012, 12:16 AM   #6

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

And pics of said chimps who did the modding...
Old April 12th, 2012, 05:10 PM   #7

Also, at speed between 65 and 75 will get tremendous vibration that shakes entire car and shifter shakes so hard that you can hear it rattle in the opening of for the tranny. Below 65-75 and is very smooth as if nothing wrong. Also get weak vibration at exactly 2500 RPM.
Will try to get pics up soon so everyone can get a good laugh. Previous owner painted it yellow. Looks like a hi-liter!
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:06 PM   #8

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Vibration at certain rpm can be as simple as u joints. You have to remove the driveshaft to check. It's not just a 'wiggle it and it feels good' thing.
Old April 12th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #9
95ish5.0

1995 GT
Slow

SSteady98 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to SSteady98

Originally Posted by FastStang91Lx View Post
Vibration at certain rpm can be as simple as u joints. You have to remove the driveshaft to check. It's not just a 'wiggle it and it feels good' thing.
^^^^This.
The chimps that modded my car snapped two bolts off in the rear end yolk for the drive shaft. had to get those out, and get new ones since the TWO LEFT INSIDE OF IT BROKE. two left. inside of it. 4 bolts should go in there. That said, I had to replace the worn ass ujoints as well. Vibration isn't so bad(the shaft itself is a little dinged up from the chimps)

I get some pretty good vibration too, but that's because this tko tranny isn't mounted right. when we took the motor out to try and fix a knock along with a very very gone clutch( said chimps really fucked this car up) we had to jack it up. it's a "Custom" fabricated mount, and I didn't mount it right.

I really hate having to fix problems that a prior owner created due to stupidity.
FR500's all the way around
Cobra R Hood
*Want*
Gears, Cam, TW Heads, Turbo(Last)

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:19 AM   #10

Drive shaft and U joints have been replaced. Still have the same shuttering/vibration at 65-75 Mph. Have not had driveshaft checked to see if it is balanced. Nothing changed from the swap of the U joints and shaft though. Very much looking strongly at clutch and tranny internals.
Old May 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by FastStang91Lx View Post
And pics of said chimps who did the modding...
They've moved on to other cars.. Looks like they are doing some recon on a Hyundai

http://youtu.be/GCoIyoP_n3g
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:59 PM   #12

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

I think ive met one of those chimps..... they put in my motor mounts afew years back, using some over sized nut as a spacer...... i have no idea why.... i didnt find this out until i swaped in my new motor

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
Old May 15th, 2012, 02:23 AM   #13
Hardcore Enthusiast

furreal302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Spinetingler View Post
Very much looking strongly at clutch and tranny internals.
This sounds like the problem and you will probably find other stuff messed up while you're working on it. I am SO glad mine was stock when I bought it. I hate fixing other peoples half assed jobs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 94 Mustang GT Modded By Chimps
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
90 Mustang LX modded ecu southernpafoxes 5.0 Mustangs 8 February 11th, 2011 06:56 PM
New to Modded Mustang 00_NewEdge New Members Introductions 22 January 31st, 2010 04:12 PM
New to modded mustang LilRed06 GT 2005 - 2010 22 August 24th, 2008 05:52 PM
Hello Modded Mustang TorqueO New Members Introductions 12 September 13th, 2007 10:59 AM