94 mustang gt idle problems
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old February 19th, 2012, 10:50 PM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

1994 Mustang GT
14.7@97

coltenr is on a distinguished road

94 mustang gt idle problems

hey, I just got a 94 gt(5-speed), the guy i got it from didn't know much about it either because he just got it on a trade. anyways, by the looks of it, it has gt-40 heads, svo intake, e cam, shorty headers, msd 6al ignition and distributor.
my problem im having with it is, it's not idling right, when im stopped it will idle fine(around 800rpms), but when i go to shift from 1-2-3 etc. it steadily idled at 1500 in between shifts. as well if i rev the car to about 2500(while sitting still), it will take a while(3seconds approx.) for the rpms to drop back down to 800. i tested the tps and it read 1.15(ignition on but car off).

so i took the throttle body off, cleaned it along with the tps and iacv, put them back on and it was just a tad better. still did the rev and it will stay up in rpm thing, so i unplugged the tps and it ran fine and when i revved it, it would drop back down to where it's supposed to be. I plugged it back in and now it doesn't have a cold start idle of 1500or whatever it's supposed to be, it just starts and idles at running temp rpm of 600 now...
I would like to know if anybody knows what my problem could have been, because obviously if i didn't fix anything, the problem is still there and will come back to bite me in the butt in a little while. thank you
the computer was swapped to a fox body computer with maf btw
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Enthusiast

2005 Mustang GT

bl_rdrgz is on a distinguished road

Tps is supposed to be set at .98. Get some Carb cleaner and spray down your engine a little at a time. If your rpms change at all. You have a leak in that area. Clean the MAF. and also run your codes. If you start and it idles at running temperature your ECT may be bad. But runs your codes before you go replacing things.

BROKE-ASS-COLLEGE-KID CLUB
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:14 AM   #3

1994 Mustang GT
14.7@97

Originally Posted by bl_rdrgz View Post
Tps is supposed to be set at .98. Get some Carb cleaner and spray down your engine a little at a time. If your rpms change at all. You have a leak in that area. Clean the MAF. and also run your codes. If you start and it idles at running temperature your ECT may be bad. But runs your codes before you go replacing things.

ok, I will clean the MAF AS soon as i can. umm.... what does ECT stand for?
a couple days after i cleaned my tb,tps and iacv, when i started the car, it idled at running tempature like you mentioned.(and continues to do so). Thank you
Old February 28th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

MustangV6Man? can only hope to improve

Definitely clean the MAF / Air filter for shits and giggles, check TPS volts, but this sounds very much like IAC. And double check vac lines.
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT
12.9@113

brody904 has a spectacular aura aboutbrody904 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by coltenr View Post
ok, I will clean the MAF AS soon as i can. umm.... what does ECT stand for?
a couple days after i cleaned my tb,tps and iacv, when i started the car, it idled at running tempature like you mentioned.(and continues to do so). Thank you
Gay

Old February 29th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #6

1994 Mustang GT
14.7@97

I cleaned the MAF last night, the tps read 1.15 without car running(key turned to on). I changed a vac line(under the rear of plenum) but need to take the fender off to get the other line, to finish!
Also my car ran better with the TPS disconnected, WTFlip! I need to get a 94 mustang chilton manual! haha

Cody, your language is anappropriate... lol You gonna help me out when i drop the tranny? Ill let you catch it when i take the last bolt out! (:
Old February 29th, 2012, 08:19 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2000 Mustang GT
12.9@113

brody904 has a spectacular aura aboutbrody904 has a spectacular aura about

I cleaned the MAF last night, the tps read 1.15 without car running(key turned to on). I changed a vac line(under the rear of plenum) but need to take the fender off to get the other line, to finish!
Also my car ran better with the TPS disconnected, WTFlip! I need to get a 94 mustang chilton manual! haha

Cody, your language is anappropriate... lol You gonna help me out when i drop the tranny? Ill let you catch it when i take the last bolt out! (:
Lol ill help you. No biggie. If the t5 is similar to t45 its not too heavy.

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #8

1994 Mustang GT
14.7@97

changing the tps soon because the idle actually got worse since the last time i posted! lol
When I fix the problem, I'll post the solution on here!
Old March 8th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Enthusiast

2005 Mustang GT

bl_rdrgz is on a distinguished road

ECT: engine coolant temperature sensor. Have you ran your codes yet?

BROKE-ASS-COLLEGE-KID CLUB
Old March 8th, 2012, 02:53 PM   #10
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

changing the tps soon because the idle actually got worse since the last time i posted! lol
When I fix the problem, I'll post the solution on here!
Test the tps first, and ajust it before you replace it. Just cuz its at 1.15 volt with the throttle closed doesnt mean it bad.

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/250922-94-mustang-gt-idle-problems.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread 94 mustang gt idle | Ford Mustang Discussion Forums - MuscularMustangs.com | BoardReader This thread Refback November 23rd, 2012 05:35 PM

Threads Similar to: 94 mustang gt idle problems
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mustang idle surge and base idle reset 1slo5.0 5.0 Mustangs 50 June 15th, 2012 12:34 PM
'04 Mustang GT Idle Problems - shaking 40YRMustang 99 - 04 11 February 3rd, 2012 03:28 PM
Idle Problems Chasinsparks 99 - 04 3 December 5th, 2007 06:10 AM
Idle Problems Kosinski 96 - 98 5 November 14th, 2007 07:10 PM
Idle Problems Code 1506, Idle Overspeed Error jagstang96 96 - 98 3 August 29th, 2006 04:11 AM