Modded Mustang Forums banner

e-fan wiring options

4K views 21 replies 5 participants last post by  VM0824 
#1 ·
ok so i just got my self a brand new 3 core all alluminum radiator. came with two 10" 13amp puller fans. previously, i was running a 16" 8amp fan on a 25amp thermostat relay kit which was ground switched, not power like normal.

soo now, i have 3 fans, 34amps, and a 25amp relay. BUT i have a second 25amp relay laying around. these are standard bosch type relays with wiring like so:

obviously instead of a bilge pump as in the image, it would power the fans..i stole this image from google...

now i could put one 13amp and one 8amp on a single relay. then put the remaining 13 amp on the second relay somehow switched by the same thermostat signal (i imagine i could just splice into the signal wire). but im worried that power spikes when they first come on will blow the fuse or relay.
HOWEVER, the preferred method would be to somehow conjoin the relays in a manner that they become a single 50amp relay...in which case, a power spike would have plenty of room before it would blow a circuit.

ideas?

See less See more
#2 ·
So you want to run all three fans? Don't use that drawing for whatever that is, with 87A to ground, it won't work with what you want.

Use one relay from your original setup to turn on your original fans and to trigger the second relay which can power the third fan through its own fused power line.

Basically, the 12v line that runs to your existing fans probably connected to 30 on your existing relay, tap into it and attach it to 86 on your other relay, 85 to ground. 87 to a fused source capable of handling your new fans, and 30 to the new fan. When your first relay triggers to turn on the fans, it will also turn on the second relay and turn on that fan. Each fan will have its own power supply and fuse and you will be safe. A better method would be to take the trigger for your first existing relay (probably) pin 86 and also run it to pin 86 on the new relay and wire the second setup the same way as the first with each fan having its own separate fused supply. With the second method, one of the relays can still fail and at least one of your fans will still work. I can try to draw something up..

#3 ·
I'm thinking I'll put the 16" on my intercooler. Then the two smaller on the radiator

#4 ·
Best method in my opinion. Hopefully your temperature trigger switch is capable to driving two relays. If not, only connect your sender to the top relay 86 and tap into 87 from the top relay and connect it to 86 on the bottom relay. For this application, the normally closed pin 87A on both relays is not needed.

Get these, they make working with these relays so much easier, they even have ganged units for multiple relays.

EDIT: I updated the picture.

#5 ·
Does your new fan have a fan shroud ?

I think 3 fans is really, really over kill... just my opnion though

#8 ·
No they just have there individual shrouds.

Is your intercooler in the front? You are only generating boost that needs to be cooled while you are moving, while moving, natural air flow will be much more than ANY fan can put through it. Don't bother with an intercooler fan at all.
Fair enough I'll just delete the 16"

Sent from my MB860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#6 ·
would you suggest me simply running the intercooler fan all the time? Then I'd have a 25 amp relay for each of the other fans

#10 ·
I think your old 16 inch fan will cool you just fine all by its self if you use a fan shroud with it.

#11 ·
I'm trying to think how I could make one

#12 · (Edited)
ok plans have begun to fab up an aluminum shroud to cover the radiator and fit with all the extra turbo piping i have. using the 2 10" fans

Edit: also I set up the second relay to be triggered from the first one's power. Therefor I don't have to worry about the thermostat not being able to trigger two relays

#14 ·
i made a cardboard model the other day of a shroud. 24" across. 16.5" high. 2" deep on the bottom. 2 3/8" deep on top. That'll squeeze the two fans in there so that one fan is higher than the other (since theres turbo piping in the way). but it'll cover the whole radiator.

#17 ·
still gotta do some wiring, started to rain here so i called it a day. but here it is.

basic aluminum sheet, cut and corners welded to the needed measurements

mating it to the new radiator

traced outside, then cut half inch inside that mark plus extra for mounting points. had to position the fans this way to fit with turbo piping

rough cut and paint

assembled

installed

#20 ·
i purposely put them on top for ease of disconnect in case i need to take it off. i mean im pretty bad at making things look good, just functional lol. and yea idk where 80watts came from, the company said they're 13 amps which would be like twice that wattage. and i dont remember the cfm i just remember that the two of them push more air than the 16" i had in there.

#22 ·
2" on the bottom. 2.5" on top. and thx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.