Modded Mustang Forums banner

Selling Estimate for 89 GT

957 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  saltydog_NM 
#1 ·
Hey Everyone,

I am looking to sell my 89 GT. It has been a great pony for the past 4 years, but I live in downtown Chicago and it has become an problem in terms of space and gas and I never drive it.

The problem is I just don't know how much to sell it for. It runs great, it turns over immediately even in the dead of winter. It has 142,000 miles on the original engine. An interior in great condition with no rips or tears in the fabric. It is very responsive and the transmission seems to be in great condition as well. It never slips or acts up. I also installed a few bolt ons:

Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back Exhaust
BBK Long Arm Cold Air Intake
Adjustable Clutch Cable

Nothing else fancy.

It does have a few things that I want to take into account though.
There are a few small rust spots. A small spot on one of the wheel wells, a spot on the rear hatch and some developing rust underneath the ground effects.

It also burns a bit of oil. I add a quart or two every few weeks and it seems to smoke a little from the left side of the engine bay after I push her a little harder.

The black paint job does look a little worn and such, but I plan on buffing it up before selling it. I also need to put the door trim back on, as it has come off over the past few years.

Does anyone have an idea of what I could sell it for? Or maybe I need to include some more information?

Thanks guys!

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats a hard one, but id say start at 2500... cause everyone is goign to beat you down...
I would.. but its a good starting point if the body is in really good shape..

#3 ·
I just sold a 89 GT that was fairly nice condition for $4500. It had the stock short block, E303, Fully ported big valve E7's, ported Explorer intake, 65mm tb, 24 lbs injectors, C&L 73mm, MAC shorties, off-road X-pipe, Flowmaster cat back, freshly rebuilt T5, new clutch, 3.73's, upper & lower control arms, etc. Nothing crazy, but a nice driver.

#5 ·
The right person would definately pay 2k for it.

#6 ·
wow 4500 i didnt think i could get that for mine even tho the engine is worth that much. makes me feel better about the 4000 i paid for mine. not that im saying yours is bad at all. mine has badly faded paint and few rust spots but kool i would never sell it unless i got what i paid for it.

#7 ·
I'll ask for 2500 and see where that will get me. I'll get the craigslist ad ready to go and post it on here too. Thanks for the tips gents.

The funny thing is, I know that someday down the road I will want to get another fox... Sucks to have to sell this one for now.

#10 ·
When you say it has rust spots.... do you mean holes or surface rust ?

#12 ·
god damn can i move to where ya'll are buying $1500 5.0 5spds? a car like he described goes for $3000-3500 on average up here....hell most rollers here are $1500

#13 ·
If it didn't burn oil I would say you could definitely get 2500 for it, but probably around 2k.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.