Idle Issue
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #1

Brandon950stang is on a distinguished road

Idle Issue

Ok im having a idle issue and im not sure on what route to take. iac, maf, tps.... where to start. car is basically a stock 5.0 with a cobra upper and lower intake, full exhaust, and a intake. has 9mm ford wires msd cap and coil. and the egr has been deleted. now as far as the idle goes. its rough. the rpms drop down and go back up. rpm also drops when i turn the steering wheel. sometimes dies if i dont give it gas if the wheel is turned all the way. Heres what i checked out. when i pull the plug on the iac the car dies. when i pull the plug on the maf the idle stables out for a few seconds then starts to get rough and the car will die. i checked my firing order and everything is good. the exhaust also smells like its running rich. now as far as checking the timing. someone put a adjustable timing pointer on there so who knows if its set right. on that subject anyone know where it should be set at or have a picture of there adjustable pointer so i can compare them? I would really like to figure out whats causing the rough idle. i would also like to figure out why my rpm's drop slow. its a standard car and when i push in the clutch it seems like rpm/s drop slow. any ideal would be great. thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 12th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Sounds like your ignition module in the steering column may be on its way out. Also, as far as the timing, you need a piston stop and turn the motor over till it hits. Mark that and then turn it backward until it hits again. Mark that, and then the middle of the two is 0. Then go 12-14 degrees advanced from that and you'll be golden!
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:10 PM   #3

yeah i thought about the ignition module but im just not to sure. i unpluged it checked connections and everything looked ok. maybe ill try to replace it. on my car its actually located in the pass fender.
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:15 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Originally Posted by Brandon950stang View Post
on my car its actually located in the pass fender.
WTF?
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:24 PM   #5
Regular

1996 Mustang 5.0

96StAnG5.0 is on a distinguished road

Id say its your timing bro,my car use to do the same thing.. Set your timing, you can go by what he said OR the EZ method get a digital timing gun and shoot it also..Id loosen that screw to the timing enough to turn it,then start the car and look towards your firewall theres a little connector or "jumper" pull that out so you can set your timing.. Then move the distributor a LITTLE bit i mean an 1/8th of an inch at a time and each time you move it tap or rev the throttle not all crazy just a small rev. Let it come back down and see if it adjusts and the car runs smoother. When you like how its running plug that connector back in,turn off the car and tighten the bolt to the distri. Then drive off give the computer a few mins of so to adjust it takes some time.. Also try resetting the IAC and set your idle i did both and mines is OK for the most part..

A Ricer is a stupid young idiot who thinks he is a car expert after watching The Fast and the Furious, Pimp My Ride, and playing Need For Speed Underground-LMFAO
Old April 12th, 2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Regular

1996 Mustang 5.0

96StAnG5.0 is on a distinguished road

oops not the firewall its next to the MAF sensor lol

A Ricer is a stupid young idiot who thinks he is a car expert after watching The Fast and the Furious, Pimp My Ride, and playing Need For Speed Underground-LMFAO
Old April 13th, 2012, 09:42 AM   #7

I set the timing but I still dont know if its right cuz I dont know if the adjustable timing pointer is set right. So im,going off a pointer that could be set wrong.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Idle Issue
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
02 4.6 idle issue Mustang02gt 99 - 04 2 December 31st, 2010 12:22 PM
Idle issue pr gt 2005 - 2010 3 January 21st, 2010 06:00 PM
Idle issue. Jims88gt 5.0 Mustangs 4 September 29th, 2009 11:21 AM
Low Idle Issue batlaxe 5.0 Mustangs 6 February 9th, 2009 10:30 PM
idle issue UNOH98stang 96 - 98 8 August 30th, 2007 02:56 PM