Modded Mustang Forums banner

Starter Solenoid - 3 pole to 4 pole wiring

10K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  ryanw 
#1 ·
I've searched but couldn't find anything about this particular question.

Just picked up a 92 Fox. The engine starts fine but the starter keeps spinning for about 2 seconds after. I believe the starter solenoid is the problem so I picked up a new one but it is 4 pole and the original is 3 pole.

I haven't picked up a service manual yet but thought I'd ask if anyone has run into this. If so, how did you wire it up? If not, where'd you get a 3 pole solenoid? All I can find are 4 pole.

Thanks!

#3 ·
What is the 4th pole for any how... does any one know ?

Cuz all we need is 3 post.

#4 · (Edited)
This is what little I know about it...

With the four-pole solenoid the two small posts are for the coil. One post goes to switching power the other to ground. The two large posts are for power distribution. The mounting base of the four-pole solenoid is insulated thus the need for the grounding post.
Starter Solenoid - 3 Pole To 4 Pole Wiring?? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

It has slightly longer post than the stock starter solenoid if someone needs to add more wires to the starter solenoid and, the ST404 is a VERY common "alternative" part for other stock applications. Works on trucks, cars, several different styles of tractor ignitions as well.
Stock starter relay / solenoid comparison vs Echlin ST404. (Pics) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

I saved some of the pic from that thread when it was posted... see below

#6 ·
This is what little I know about it...

With the four-pole solenoid the two small posts are for the coil. One post goes to switching power the other to ground. The two large posts are for power distribution. The mounting base of the four-pole solenoid is insulated thus the need for the grounding post.
Starter Solenoid - 3 Pole To 4 Pole Wiring?? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

It has slightly longer post than the stock starter solenoid if someone needs to add more wires to the starter solenoid and, the ST404 is a VERY common "alternative" part for other stock applications. Works on trucks, cars, several different styles of tractor ignitions as well.
Stock starter relay / solenoid comparison vs Echlin ST404. (Pics) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

I saved some of the pic from that thread when it was posted... see below
Okay, that makes sense. Because i know the 3 post solenoid gets its ground from being bolted to the car. There for, only the trigger wire needs to be conected in order to complete the circuit.

But what your saying is the 4 post solenoids does not get its ground from the solenoid being bolted to the car, and that a wire needs to be run either from the body of the car or the negative of the battery over to the 4 th pole of the solenoid/relay which is how the solenod/relay completes its circuit.

Do i have that right ?

#8 ·
I'm reading that just like you so I'll say yes you do have it right.

I have great faith in the person in that thread that said
and he's never steered anyone wrong that I know of.
Cool bro...

Ya , i was looking over on corral last night for the answer, and some one posted that the 4 th post was for older cars that needed a extra wire run to the coil ( or some thing like that) but other wise its not used.... that statement didnt make sence to me, but yours does.

Nice post, ive been curious about that as of late.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.