Starter Solenoid - 3 pole to 4 pole wiring
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 21st, 2012, 02:06 PM   #1
TJP
Look Ma! My First Post!

TJP is on a distinguished road

Starter Solenoid - 3 pole to 4 pole wiring

I've searched but couldn't find anything about this particular question.

Just picked up a 92 Fox. The engine starts fine but the starter keeps spinning for about 2 seconds after. I believe the starter solenoid is the problem so I picked up a new one but it is 4 pole and the original is 3 pole.

I haven't picked up a service manual yet but thought I'd ask if anyone has run into this. If so, how did you wire it up? If not, where'd you get a 3 pole solenoid? All I can find are 4 pole.

Thanks!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 21st, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2
Enthusiast

1989 GT

ALMOST STOCK will become famous soon enoughALMOST STOCK will become famous soon enough

You can do a search for part # Motorcraft Solenoid Switch SW1951-C
or Ford part # Motorcraft SW-1951-C E9TZ-11450-B.

You can also find the 3 post solenoid at

MOTORCRAFT Part # SW1951C
or
1985-93 Mustang Starter Motor Relay/Solenoid at LRS - Free Shipping!
Old September 22nd, 2012, 02:23 AM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

What is the 4th pole for any how... does any one know ?

Cuz all we need is 3 post.

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Enthusiast

1989 GT

ALMOST STOCK will become famous soon enoughALMOST STOCK will become famous soon enough

This is what little I know about it...

With the four-pole solenoid the two small posts are for the coil. One post goes to switching power the other to ground. The two large posts are for power distribution. The mounting base of the four-pole solenoid is insulated thus the need for the grounding post.
Starter Solenoid - 3 Pole To 4 Pole Wiring?? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

It has slightly longer post than the stock starter solenoid if someone needs to add more wires to the starter solenoid and, the ST404 is a VERY common "alternative" part for other stock applications. Works on trucks, cars, several different styles of tractor ignitions as well.
Stock starter relay / solenoid comparison vs Echlin ST404. (Pics) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

I saved some of the pic from that thread when it was posted... see below

Last edited by ALMOST STOCK; October 25th, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Enthusiast

1989 GT

Originally Posted by TJP View Post
I've searched but couldn't find anything about this particular question.

Just picked up a 92 Fox. The engine starts fine but the starter keeps spinning for about 2 seconds after. I believe the starter solenoid is the problem so I picked up a new one but it is 4 pole and the original is 3 pole.

I haven't picked up a service manual yet but thought I'd ask if anyone has run into this. If so, how did you wire it up? If not, where'd you get a 3 pole solenoid? All I can find are 4 pole.

Thanks!
Just came across this...

SW1951C | eBay

E9TZ11450B | eBay

Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:34 PM   #6

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK View Post
This is what little I know about it...

With the four-pole solenoid the two small posts are for the coil. One post goes to switching power the other to ground. The two large posts are for power distribution. The mounting base of the four-pole solenoid is insulated thus the need for the grounding post.
Starter Solenoid - 3 Pole To 4 Pole Wiring?? | Mustang Forums at StangNet

It has slightly longer post than the stock starter solenoid if someone needs to add more wires to the starter solenoid and, the ST404 is a VERY common "alternative" part for other stock applications. Works on trucks, cars, several different styles of tractor ignitions as well.
Stock starter relay / solenoid comparison vs Echlin ST404. (Pics) - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

I saved some of the pic from that thread when it was posted... see below
Okay, that makes sense. Because i know the 3 post solenoid gets its ground from being bolted to the car. There for, only the trigger wire needs to be conected in order to complete the circuit.

But what your saying is the 4 post solenoids does not get its ground from the solenoid being bolted to the car, and that a wire needs to be run either from the body of the car or the negative of the battery over to the 4 th pole of the solenoid/relay which is how the solenod/relay completes its circuit.

Do i have that right ?

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Old September 22nd, 2012, 12:52 PM   #7
Enthusiast

1989 GT

I'm reading that just like you so I'll say yes you do have it right.

I have great faith in the person in that thread that said
The mounting base of the four-pole solenoid is insulated thus the need for the grounding post.
and he's never steered anyone wrong that I know of.
Old September 22nd, 2012, 01:02 PM   #8

1991 Ford Mustang GT

Originally Posted by ALMOST STOCK View Post
I'm reading that just like you so I'll say yes you do have it right.

I have great faith in the person in that thread that said
and he's never steered anyone wrong that I know of.
Cool bro...

Ya , i was looking over on corral last night for the answer, and some one posted that the 4 th post was for older cars that needed a extra wire run to the coil ( or some thing like that) but other wise its not used.... that statement didnt make sence to me, but yours does.

Nice post, ive been curious about that as of late.

Trick Flow R intake,
255 fuel pump,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.