Electrical Issues :( (WITH VIDEO)
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
Regular

1987 Mustang LX 351W

Kent535 is on a distinguished road

Electrical Issues :( (WITH VIDEO)

Maybe you guys could help me diagnose this problem. Spent OVER 5 hours trying to find the issue but no luck. Been driving me crazy so alot of input from alot of different people would be great!
Will be watching this thread and responding for a while.
Any questions feel free to ask to help solve the issue quicker.

- Edelbrocke Performer Intake
- Holley 750cfm Double Pumper w/ Mechanical Sec.
- 5 Speed Manual T5
- Stock Rear End
- Mallory Ignition
Soon To Come
- 4 Point Roll Bar
- Paint
- Wheels And Slicks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 26th, 2013, 04:23 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Check your grounds under the dash and don't worry so much about the stock volt gauge anyway. You have the aftermarket one. And make sure your dash frame to chassis bolts are tight also. On second thought, just add a ground from chassis to dash frame. Pull it right from the battery if you want.
Old January 26th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Regular

1987 Mustang LX 351W

Originally Posted by FastStang91Lx View Post
Check your grounds under the dash and don't worry so much about the stock volt gauge anyway. You have the aftermarket one. And make sure your dash frame to chassis bolts are tight also. On second thought, just add a ground from chassis to dash frame. Pull it right from the battery if you want.
Well thats the thing. I wouldnt worry about it since my aftermarket one is reading right. but when i have everything on at idle the volts goes down.
Also my lights and turn signals dont work because i left that connected directly to the efi wiring harness and when the stock gauge voltage drops the lights turn signals and radio shut off :/
- 5 Speed Manual T5
- Stock Rear End
- Mallory Ignition
Soon To Come
- 4 Point Roll Bar
- Paint
- Wheels And Slicks
Old January 26th, 2013, 08:25 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Like I said, it's probably a ground issue since the aftermarket gauge isn't dropping. That would signal an alternator problem. The grounds for the instrument panel, radio, etc. are are on the underside of the dash on the dash frame. Also make sure your battery to chassis ground is good also. You're gonna have to get under there and get your hands dirty. No one can tell you the exact spot to look to fix your problem. It could be a number of things. Grounds first, then go from there.
Old January 27th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #5
Regular

deltahector89 is on a distinguished road

Is that alternator from a carbed car? They put out alot less juice then an alternator from an efi car. Almost looks to me like your alternator isnt sufficent enough to run the massive amount of electronics you got in that thing. Just saying if that 351 swap is using a carbd alternator thats possibly only putting out 60 amps then thats your problem
Old January 27th, 2013, 01:14 PM   #6
In over my head

1990 GT
Slow?

dbshea is on a distinguished road

While I have nothing new tech wise to say (I think these guys covered my opinion well) I must say, that's the best "help" thread I've seen! The video was smart man.
Old January 27th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Regular

1987 Mustang LX 351W

Originally Posted by deltahector89 View Post
Is that alternator from a carbed car? They put out alot less juice then an alternator from an efi car. Almost looks to me like your alternator isnt sufficent enough to run the massive amount of electronics you got in that thing. Just saying if that 351 swap is using a carbd alternator thats possibly only putting out 60 amps then thats your problem
The alternator is a 70 Amp replacement. My electric fans pull 30 amps alone.
I am curious and probably guessing this is the issue however it seems to be fine at idle. Does anyone know how many amps an aftermarket Double spark ignition box consumes?
- 5 Speed Manual T5
- Stock Rear End
- Mallory Ignition
Soon To Come
- 4 Point Roll Bar
- Paint
- Wheels And Slicks
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Regular

87 mustang gt

Stang6er is on a distinguished road

I have a msd 6a box that pulls 1 amp per 1000 rpm. Idk bout other boxes
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9
Regular

Seems like the accessories ran off of the fuse box are taking the hit while the accessories ran off the battery are ok, what is the voltage at the post on the back of the alternator? Then check voltage at the end of the lead from the alternator to see if their is a parasitic loss in the charging cable. Then check the voltage at the fuse box.. Where did you tap into for your aftermarket voltage gauge? It doesn't dip does it?
Old January 28th, 2013, 12:23 AM   #10
Regular

1987 Mustang LX 351W

Seems like the accessories ran off of the fuse box are taking the hit while the accessories ran off the battery are ok, what is the voltage at the post on the back of the alternator? Then check voltage at the end of the lead from the alternator to see if their is a parasitic loss in the charging cable. Then check the voltage at the fuse box.. Where did you tap into for your aftermarket voltage gauge? It doesn't dip does it?
I will check the voltage when i get my fuel cell in the trunk(Tuesday afternoon) Waiting on some fittings. As far as the accesories EVERYTHING including (fuel pump,fans, ignition box, coil, and all of the gauges are running directly off the battery via the switch panel. The radio is ALSO connected direct to the radio via a toggle switch. What gets to me is that even tho the radio is connected direct it is acting up with voltage issues(Cutting in and off)
- 5 Speed Manual T5
- Stock Rear End
- Mallory Ignition
Soon To Come
- 4 Point Roll Bar
- Paint
- Wheels And Slicks
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #11
Regular

So the yellow and red wire from the radio are direct? Ran your own ground too then? Just making sure your not using anything from the factory harness
Old January 28th, 2013, 05:42 PM   #12
Regular

1987 Mustang LX 351W

So the yellow and red wire from the radio are direct? Ran your own ground too then? Just making sure your not using anything from the factory harness
Well the red wire is
Dont know about the yellow one
- 5 Speed Manual T5
- Stock Rear End
- Mallory Ignition
Soon To Come
- 4 Point Roll Bar
- Paint
- Wheels And Slicks
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Regular

Red wire is only for memory, ie clock presets etc. yellow is the actual power wire and if that's ran into the factory harness then that to is ran to the fuse box
Old January 28th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #14
Regular

just remember under powering electronics is just as bad as overpowering them. Underpowering creates heat. heat is the most common cause of electronic failure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.