5lug rearend swap
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 14th, 2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Gt
Not Slow

Hunt_chevs is an unknown quantity at this point

5lug rearend swap

Im contemplating the idea of swapping in a '98 rearend into my fox. What other concerns do i need to consider such as brake issues.
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #2
Resident Know-it-all

92 blk/blk coupe
9.70@140

nxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of light

If you do nothing, both wheeels will stick out about 3/4" further than they are now. Best way to do it is buy the brakes, order caliper brackets from northracecars.com, and get a set of 5 lug fox-length axles and you are set. I cant stand my wheels sticking out tho
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 14th, 2013, 09:32 AM   #3
Regular

1987 Mustang LX
14.2@98

MattFrancis will become famous soon enough

Or you could just run an 8 inch wheel in the back im pretty sure. I am planning on the my 5 lug swap in march on my spring break. I have fox length 5 lug axles, the caliper brackets, antimoan brackets, 95 gt rear calipers and ebrake cables, 95gt brake booster/master cylinder...etc.

'87 Sonic Blue 5.0 - Tremec t5
Edelbrock Performer 5.0
BBK 70mm TB + Egr
MSD Ignition
MAC CAI
BBK Shorty Headers
BBK O/R X-Pipe
Mac Produmps
3.73's
A9P -SCT Dyno Tuned
5 Lug / Rear Disc
18" Saleen Reps

BROKE-ASS-COLLEGE-KID CLUB
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:31 AM   #4

91 Stang

elarm1 is on a distinguished road

I have the cobra brake setup and it was less headache to just put in fox length axles and buy the brackets from lmr.

91 LX 306, AFR's, T5Z, 373, 5 lug real 03 cobra wheel swap with Cobra brakes front and rear, Tokico Ill's, Tokico springs, MM Suspension goodies, MGW Short Shifter
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #5
4 cam 4 life

1989 LX Coupe
6.1@111mph

NeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of light

I just took my stock caliper brackets. Cut a slice in them, swapped sides and slipped them on the inside of the housing axle flanges. Almost perfect for the fox axles and didn't have to buy anything.

But a 96-98 housing/axle will fit not problems other than the wheels sticking out too far.
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
Priest of the Car Gods

Clapped-out '90 GT 'vert
~5.5 seconds off TTOD :(

ReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond reputeReverendDexter has a reputation beyond repute

You're going to need to swap to a 4-wheel disc brake master cylinder and proportioning valve. I'm also not sure how the e-brake works when you do the swap.
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:01 AM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Gt
Not Slow

Hunt_chevs is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nxcoupe View Post
If you do nothing, both wheeels will stick out about 3/4" further than they are now. Best way to do it is buy the brakes, order caliper brackets from northracecars.com, and get a set of 5 lug fox-length axles and you are set. I cant stand my wheels sticking out tho
got a pic?
Old February 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #8

91 Stang

elarm1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ReverendDexter View Post
You're going to need to swap to a 4-wheel disc brake master cylinder and proportioning valve. I'm also not sure how the e-brake works when you do the swap.
E brake calbes will have to be swapped out as well. If that route will be taken, you will have to swap all the parking brake stuff out and weld the gears of the parking brake

Mustang SVE 5 Lug Disc Brake Conversion: Part 2 - Rear Brakes

91 LX 306, AFR's, T5Z, 373, 5 lug real 03 cobra wheel swap with Cobra brakes front and rear, Tokico Ill's, Tokico springs, MM Suspension goodies, MGW Short Shifter
Old February 14th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #9
PhD in Procrastinology

1991 GT 347CID &'14 GT/CS
1d 7h 43m 18.63s @.7

1BDSTNG is a name known to all1BDSTNG is a name known to all1BDSTNG is a name known to all1BDSTNG is a name known to all1BDSTNG is a name known to all1BDSTNG is a name known to all

Great info. I'll be doing the 5 lug/rear disc swap. @NeverEnuff...I love your avatar

1991 GT- 347ci
2014 GT/CS
Instagram: @1bad_5oh
Originally Posted by Imran View Post
i clamp it with my teeth and hold it in my mouth.
Old February 14th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #10
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MattFrancis View Post
Or you could just run an 8 inch wheel in the back im pretty sure. I am planning on the my 5 lug swap in march on my spring break. I have fox length 5 lug axles, the caliper brackets, antimoan brackets, 95 gt rear calipers and ebrake cables, 95gt brake booster/master cylinder...etc.

Putting a 8" wide wheel wont fix the problem with the axles being 3/4" longer on each side, in fact it would make the problem worse. The wheel would be even closer to the fender ( im speaking as if the stock bs was used) i believe the solution would be to pick a wheel that has the correct size bs to compensate for the wider axles. Then for the most part you can pick how ever wide of a wheel you want

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.