Fan/pulley quick help
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 16th, 2013, 04:47 PM   #1
Regular

1988 My Way

demolitionman will become famous soon enough

Fan/pulley quick help

Need some fast help please and thanks in advance. Doing a underdrive conversion today and I'm trying to pull the fan off to give me some room but can't seem to figure it out - newb I know but how does it come off? I removed the small coil piece figuring it would slide off but it won't. Do I need to remove the pulley screws first and then the rod slides out? Pics attached Fan/pulley quick help-imageuploadedbyag-free1361051220.188516.jpgFan/pulley quick help-imageuploadedbyag-free1361051232.987853.jpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1988 LX AOD - Cobra Clone Body - TFS TW Heads - TFS Stage 1 Cam - FRS 4:10 Gears - Mass Air 24lb Inj - 93 Cobra Intake Ported 1" Spacer - BBK 70mm TB - Steeda Pulleys - Racing Pistons - BBK Cold Fender Air - Flowmaster 40s-
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2013, 05:23 PM   #2
Enthusiast

1993 Mustang GT
Slower than you

shamrock81887 is on a distinguished road

I would have just unscrewed the 4 bolts on the pulley side and left the fan clutch alone man. You need to unbolt the 2 bolts on top that hold down the shroud then unbolt the 4 bolts on the pulley that hold the fan on there, then manuver the fan out through the bottom by pulling the shroud up a bit which gives it the clearance.

Your welcome.

93 GT Black/Black
Stock 5.0 under 100k
5 speed 3.08's
Eibach pro kit
Maximum Motorsports PHB
Weight Jacker LCA's
Strut Tower Brace
Functional Cervini's Ram Air Hood
Toyo Proxes 4 tires
Mach 1 Upholstery (Still waiting to be installed)
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:31 PM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Like mentioned, 4 bolts on fan that holds it to the water pump. Then remove the shround bolts (two on top) and pull the two out the top at the same time. After you pull those 4 bolts, you need to 'pop' the fan free by pulling it off the snout of the water pump. It will most likely be on there pretty good. Don't slam it to hard forward into your radiator. You'll see what I mean when you get to that point, lol.
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #4
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Yeah I figured out I should do the pulley side first and I put the fan bolts back in. Now the problem I'm having is keeping the pulley from turning to wrench the bolts off since there is not enough room for the smallest ratchet. Any tricks?

1988 LX AOD - Cobra Clone Body - TFS TW Heads - TFS Stage 1 Cam - FRS 4:10 Gears - Mass Air 24lb Inj - 93 Cobra Intake Ported 1" Spacer - BBK 70mm TB - Steeda Pulleys - Racing Pistons - BBK Cold Fender Air - Flowmaster 40s-
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #5
Enthusiast

1993 Mustang GT
Slower than you

Hold the fan lol. Thats what I do.

93 GT Black/Black
Stock 5.0 under 100k
5 speed 3.08's
Eibach pro kit
Maximum Motorsports PHB
Weight Jacker LCA's
Strut Tower Brace
Toyo Proxes 4 tires
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:43 PM   #6
Enthusiast

1993 Mustang GT
Slower than you

Or if you must get another wrench and put it on one of the other bolts and pull opposite directions until you have them all broke loose enough.

93 GT Black/Black
Stock 5.0 under 100k
5 speed 3.08's
Eibach pro kit
Maximum Motorsports PHB
Weight Jacker LCA's
Strut Tower Brace
Toyo Proxes 4 tires
Old February 16th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #7

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Breaker bar between fan shaft and bolt head.
Old February 16th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #8
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Originally Posted by shamrock81887 View Post
Or if you must get another wrench and put it on one of the other bolts and pull opposite directions until you have them all broke loose enough.
Thanks that's what ended up doing it. Holding the fan it would still turn but in the end I got it out and about to put everything back together. Sorry guys sometimes after a few hours of things I hit a mental wall and should take a break and just calm down and think it through.

Old February 16th, 2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Enthusiast

1993 Mustang GT
Slower than you

Glad I could help man.

93 GT Black/Black
Stock 5.0 under 100k
5 speed 3.08's
Eibach pro kit
Maximum Motorsports PHB
Weight Jacker LCA's
Strut Tower Brace
Toyo Proxes 4 tires
Old February 16th, 2013, 09:25 PM   #10
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Ok so after all that work taking the majority of the front of engine compartment off I finally got to the point of installing the first new pulley. So I hand turn in all the bolts and low and behold none of my tools will work to torque them down because the heads of the bolts are tight up against the pulley wall. What kind of design is this for god sakes? The only solution I can think of is to go to the hardware store tomorrow and find some bolts the same length and diameter thread but with a smaller head. That should work right?

Second question: on the bottom drive pulley the bolts were really hard to get free. While wrenching on them to get them loose the entire bottom drive would turn. Is that ok? Will it mess with my timing or anything? I know the numbers are on that for timing so it makes me nervous.

Old February 16th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #11
Enthusiast

1993 Mustang GT
Slower than you

Dunno about the first part of the question, maybe you just have some thick walled sockets. If the only way to get to the bolts is by socket then you may just need a thinner socket, if you can fit a wrench in there than that may be your best bet. But on your second question don't worry about it, it's not gonna mess with your timing or mess anything up. I did the same thing when I replaced my harmonic balancer, I did notice a ticking noise once I got everything back together and started it up which scared the living shit out of me but it went away after a couple of revs.

93 GT Black/Black
Stock 5.0 under 100k
5 speed 3.08's
Eibach pro kit
Maximum Motorsports PHB
Weight Jacker LCA's
Strut Tower Brace
Toyo Proxes 4 tires
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Thanks sham - yeah there is no way to fit a wrench in there and I'm pretty sure my sockets are normal sized as I tried both sets - I will figure it out by new bolts or just find a way to work them in tight enough

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:27 PM   #13
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Did some reading around the web and found a few entries about having to get new belts due to the smaller pulley size so that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for all the input.

Old February 16th, 2013, 11:28 PM   #14
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Bolts

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:41 AM   #15

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

Mine have always came with allen head bolts, but I've always only bought the same set each time. And speaking of belt, you may need a new one of them too, seriously. Having the motor turn won't affect anything as your distributor is turning with it. No worries man.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #16
Resident Know-it-all

92 blk/blk coupe
9.70@140

nxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, if you bought them used, then someone kept the bolts. Your originals wont work. You need to go buy some 3/8" allen head socket bolts, 1" long at the hardware store. I buy them in bulk because cust always buy them used and never get the bolts, so I charge them for them.
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #17
Resident Know-it-all

92 blk/blk coupe
9.70@140

nxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of light

Oh and easiest way to break water pump pulley bolts loose is to do it before belt comes off or use a pipe wrench, open the jaws just far enough apart to slide over the edge, tip wrench opposite of direction the you,re turning the wrench, and adjust as necessary.
No, turning the crank pulley doesnt hurt anything. And grabbing the fan blade on a viscous drive fan? Lol itll turns.
Old February 17th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #18
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Originally Posted by nxcoupe View Post
Yes, if you bought them used, then someone kept the bolts. Your originals wont work. You need to go buy some 3/8" allen head socket bolts, 1" long at the hardware store. I buy them in bulk because cust always buy them used and never get the bolts, so I charge them for them.
Just read this now but guess what I bought at the hardware store this morn! I went through all the bolts until I decided those would work - 3 bucks a piece but I had a gift card from ace so it all worked out.

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Regular

1988 My Way

Fan/pulley quick help

Originally Posted by FastStang91Lx View Post
Mine have always came with allen head bolts, but I've always only bought the same set each time. And speaking of belt, you may need a new one of them too, seriously. Having the motor turn won't affect anything as your distributor is turning with it. No worries man.
Should I get a different size?

Old February 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM   #20
In over my head

1990 GT
Slow?

dbshea is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by demolitionman View Post
Should I get a different size?

You'll need to figure that out yourself, depending how much your pulleys changed will determine it. Run a piece of string the same route your belt will run, measure the length. Spend money accordingly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.