I'm back, with rod bearing question
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 30th, 2013, 02:33 AM   #1

1988 Mustang

88Saleen is on a distinguished road

I'm back, with rod bearing question

Hey, I've been gone for a while but back in it now. For guys that don't know I built a 331 stroker engine. Scat crank and rods with probe pistons, anderson N-71 cam, TF TW 205cc fully CNC'd heads, TF R-series intake.

I am finally allowed the money from the "boss" and found the time to finish my car, or at least get it running for now. I have a moates quarter horse installed in EEC and I'm using BE and EA for tuning. Fired her up and heard a knock and immediately knew it didnt sound good. Did a little investigating and tried locating it, hoping it was in the top end! Low and behold with the engine pulled back out a few hours later, I found one loose rod cap! The journal on the crank looks fine and the bearing wasn't even spun. There was a little bit of crap in the oil pan, but nothing in excess. It is a green engine having just a few thousand RPMs for running time, what would you guys do, should I get a new set of rod bearings? The bearing looks new still and the crank journal looks perfect also.

something i forgot to mention is that i had good oil pressure, running just above 60psi at idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2013, 06:20 AM   #2
Regular

5.0freak is on a distinguished road

If everything looks ok I would let it ride. But if there is material in the pan I would dig a little deeper and find out where it came from first.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #3

1988 Mustang

After sleeping on it and looking up the price, I'm just going to replace the bearing. It's $11 and a few days shipping.
Old March 30th, 2013, 01:25 PM   #4
mr. chokebot

1988 Moosetang GT
12 minutes@14.23kph

WillyT will become famous soon enough

Correct, replace the bearing.

I'd be more concerned with how the cap worked itself loose in the first place. That doesn't just 'happen'. Either somebody forgot to torque the bolts or the bolts started stretching.

Don't just treat the symptom, dig deeper! You don't want that cap coming off when it's spinning at 5k.
Old March 30th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #5
Resident Know-it-all

92 blk/blk coupe
9.70@140

nxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of light

Yeah, for sure. Check the torque of all the bolts in that bottom end. You've shown yourself that you didn't check it thoroughly enough the first time you did it. You are a very lucky individual.
Old March 30th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #6

1988 Mustang

Yeah, ill be verifying all the mains and caps. It truly is a huge bummer when i found that. I honestly thought I would be above that kind of mistake, cause that could have been a hell of a lot more expensive than just an $11 bearing.

Spent the day today cleaning up the engine harness and all the harness's under the hood. When i originally put the engine it, I was in a little bit of a hurry to get her running after so long and didn't do the best job at cleaning them up. It was definitely easier doing it after i pull the engine out. Next saturday will be the next start up and I am very excited to hear what it is truly supposed to sound like haha, and i guarantee there will never be a loose cap again haha

Another question i have is which coolant temp sensor does the computer use, the one in the intake manifold, or the one that is in the heater pipes going to the firewall?
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:31 AM   #7
Resident Know-it-all

92 blk/blk coupe
9.70@140

nxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of lightnxcoupe is a glorious beacon of light

Heater pipes. Rule of thumb, computer uses two or three wire sensors, never a one wire sensor.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:12 AM   #8

1988 Mustang

Originally Posted by nxcoupe View Post
Heater pipes. Rule of thumb, computer uses two or three wire sensors, never a one wire sensor.
Right, that is exactly what i was assuming, I just wanted to confirm my assumption. Now to find a fitting to get that sensor back in the cooling system somehow... I deleted my heater and all those goodies.

I'm thinking about finding a reducer to fit in the threaded hole in the top of the intake near the t-stat where the heater pipes previously went, but the thread sizes are different and it seems like i tried before and was not able to find a fitting to reduce it to fit the coolant temp sensor. Anyone every done this, and where did you end up putting it?
Old March 31st, 2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Resident Know-it-all

92 blk/blk coupe
9.70@140

Go to lowes, or napa, get a 1/2" pipe reduced to 3/8" pipe, it'll be a sleeve. It's what I use.
Old March 31st, 2013, 02:19 PM   #10

1988 Mustang

Awesome, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.