How long do I wait if I flooded my engine?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old April 5th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Regular

1992 Mustang LX Hatch

Danno is on a distinguished road

How long do I wait if I flooded my engine?

Subject says most of it. My car cranks really slow once it's warmed up, and this time I guess I gave it too much gas trying to jump start it and it won't fire up anymore. I pulled all of the plugs, left them out for a few hours, cranked the engine a couple times to try to push out any gas from the cylinders, and actually replaced the plugs with new plugs and it still won't start. All of this was within 5 hours of the engine being flooded. Do I need to wait a whole day or something? Help please?
Best ET: 12.2 @ 111MPH, 1.7 60 ft
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Regular

1992 mustang lx 5.0

92Lx5.0 is on a distinguished road

Should have been unflooded by now tbh check your work make sure everything was put back together right, couldn't say what it is honestly, dOes it crank but not strart? Could be your stater
Old April 5th, 2013, 11:37 PM   #3

1989 5.0 Lx

shadowfox78541 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to shadowfox78541 Send a message via Yahoo to shadowfox78541

OR A COIL THAT ISN'T GIVING THE SPARK IT NEEDS ANYMORE
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
Regular

1992 Mustang LX Hatch

Danno is on a distinguished road

Dumb question - I have wondered if my slow cranking was starter based, so could a bad starter allow the engine to turn over but not actually fire up? I thought the starter was just a mechanism to crank the engine and that it had nothing to do with actually making the cylinders go bang. I ask because just last week I bought a new starter but haven installed it yet. Maybe I should?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Best ET: 12.2 @ 111MPH, 1.7 60 ft
Old April 6th, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5

2003 Grand Cherokee

03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute03SonicBoom has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you flood your engine REALLY bad, you should be able to start it almost immediately with the proper technique. When it floods, push the gas pedal to the floor (and leave it there) and crank. This causes the valve to open up all the way and allow the most air into the engine.

When I was a kid I flooded the engine bad a few times. But I've never removed plugs or anything. Usually just wait 5-10 minutes and go again.
Old April 6th, 2013, 10:29 AM   #6
In over my head

1990 GT
Slow?

dbshea is on a distinguished road

I didn't think efi could flood, guess I was ignorant. But yea man, your starter could be on its way out for sure. How slow are we talkin here? Does it crank faster when the plugs are out?
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #7
Regular

1992 mustang lx 5.0

92Lx5.0 is on a distinguished road

Go to autozone/ oriellys and get your battery/alternator and starter checked they'll tell you if you need to replace anything otherwise do like OP says and check coils but idk if that's the problem... either way won't hurt to check.
Old April 6th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Enzo_Guy has a spectacular aura aboutEnzo_Guy has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Enzo_Guy

Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Dumb question - I have wondered if my slow cranking was starter based, so could a bad starter allow the engine to turn over but not actually fire up? I thought the starter was just a mechanism to crank the engine and that it had nothing to do with actually making the cylinders go bang. I ask because just last week I bought a new starter but haven installed it yet. Maybe I should?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
That was exactly what I was thinking when I read your first post, it typically takes 10 minutes at most before you can restart a flooded engine.

Think of it like an old dirt bike: if you kick it over very slowly will it ever start? Probably not. Also make sure you get the correct starter! A lot of parts places, if you go in and ask for a Mustang 5.0 5-speed starter, will hand you one for a 164-tooth flywheel which will not properly engage the 157-tooth flywheel the '87+ manual cars use. Friend had this problem with a Ford Racing crate hooked to a Ford Racing T5, he initially got a 164-tooth starter so I get him one for an automatic (157-tooth cars prior to '87 were automatic then Ford used the same size flywheel for both) and it works great.
Lowered truck? No

When you have a Ford Ranger packing a turbo 4-cylinder, all you can do is park in the back of the car show and realize that you're one-of-a-kind.
Old April 6th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #9
Enthusiast

Enzo_Guy has a spectacular aura aboutEnzo_Guy has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Enzo_Guy

Originally Posted by dbshea View Post
I didn't think efi could flood, guess I was ignorant. But yea man, your starter could be on its way out for sure. How slow are we talkin here? Does it crank faster when the plugs are out?
Electronic fuel injection typically can't, though I'm sure there could be an exception somewhere. Mechanical fuel injection on the other hand can, depending on the design, flood sometimes even easier than a carburetor. The old Corvette Rochester units were infamous for flooding (especially the first '57 "fuelie" system that was updated for '58 but the problem was never completely eliminated) as were many of the older late-'50s and early-'60s throttle body injection systems found on Pontiacs, Ford Y-blocks, and other NASCAR-oriented motors. These were soon banned by NASCAR and the NHRA, leaving fuel injection to be used primarily by European manufacturers like Porsche for FIA rally and road course racing (mostly in Group 3 GT/sports cars and Group 4/5/6 prototypes, due to the very high homologation requirements of Group 2 touring cars it would be the early-'70s before FI started showing up in any real quantity).

All of these vehicles, even as recent as the GM TBI, were certainly capable of flooding as they introduced the air/fuel mixture 100% mechanically just like a carburetor (early vehicle computers sometimes only controlled ignition timing and air/fuel delivery was still completely mechanical). Of the early mechanical FI cars, I believe the only exception was the Mercedes 300SL since it was a direct fuel injection system; provided the ignition system was working properly it theoretically shouldn't flood during startup (I won't even pretend to own one so I'm not 100% sure). On the other hand, the old gullwing cars were infamous for flooding while moving hahaha!
Lowered truck? No

When you have a Ford Ranger packing a turbo 4-cylinder, all you can do is park in the back of the car show and realize that you're one-of-a-kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.