Junkyard gt40p bundle
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:26 AM   #1
Regular

86, 87-93 lx int/ext 5.0

Fbody is on a distinguished road

Junkyard gt40p bundle

Has anyone bought a bundle from a junk yard along the lines of gt40p heads, upper/lower with TB and spacer, Injectors? What price range do you think it'd be around? i was going to buy a set of gt40p heads that came off a buddys car for 75 bucks without pushrods or rockers with unknown miles and unknown valve springs. Thinking it might just be better to pick up the top end of an explorer and go ahead and do the whole new valve spring upgrade to make sure and know. Also will an SN95 brake fluid reservoir fit fox? not too big of fan of this metal ugly one.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2013, 02:00 AM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Ford Mustang GT

ryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of lightryanw is a glorious beacon of light

My 91 came with a plastic reservoir. Im not sure what year that started

DART 331ci stroker, AFR 185 heads,
Trick Flow R intake,
Accufab 70mm tb, 75mm pro m Maf, 30lb injectors,
jba headers, 2 1/2" x pipe
flowmaster super 10 mufflers,
255 fuel pump,
3:27 gears

Last edited by ryanw; July 20th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:16 AM   #3
Regular

1989 Mustang GT
12.99 @104.7

Kujo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Fbody View Post
Has anyone bought a bundle from a junk yard along the lines of gt40p heads, upper/lower with TB and spacer, Injectors? What price range do you think it'd be around? i was going to buy a set of gt40p heads that came off a buddys car for 75 bucks without pushrods or rockers with unknown miles and unknown valve springs. Thinking it might just be better to pick up the top end of an explorer and go ahead and do the whole new valve spring upgrade to make sure and know. Also will an SN95 brake fluid reservoir fit fox? not too big of fan of this metal ugly one.
I would pick up those GT40Ps for 75 bucks. junkyards usually want more than that because they're out for money. You can have the springs checked to see what they are, if they're aftermarket that's already a step inthe right direction.
Old July 20th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
ADL
Regular

1987 GT

ADL is on a distinguished road

The last time I bought a complete engine (throttle body to pan) the cost was $500 in Dec/2006. That was for a 2002 (last year) with 62,000 miles. Opened it up to change the pan/front cover to Mustang stuff and it looked brand new inside. Worked good for me because I used the entire engine along with the required performance mods.

One of my best friends bought a complete one (not sure of year) with 90,000 miles on it for $400 within the last couple of months.

A pair of P heads for $75 is about as cheap a buy-in as you're going to get. Unless they've already had a spring upgrade, figure your going to need a set of springs and definitely a valve grind. That they are missing rockers and push rods, not a big deal for most as aftermarket roller rockers and heavy duty hardened push rods are likely to be used anyway.

The intakes are easy to find, there's usually 20 of them for sale on Ebay at any given time for $100-$200.

The throttle body is not a plug-n-play. Besides adding the 90 degree curved tube for the valve cover breather hose to attach to, you have to change the bottom plate on the throttle shaft to one from a Mustang so the attachment and lever ratio is correct.
Old July 20th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Regular

86, 87-93 lx int/ext 5.0

The heads did have 1.7 rockers used with a b303 cam and worked fine, he sold the rockers off of them.
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Regular

86, 87-93 lx int/ext 5.0

How long would you imagine stock valve springs would last up to a b303 cam?
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:49 PM   #7
ADL
Regular

1987 GT

I would not recommend ever running the stock P springs with any performance cam, not even a stock Mustang HO cam. They are simply too weak.
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:18 PM   #8
Regular

86, 87-93 lx int/ext 5.0

He said he assumes they are stock springs, but the car ran with b303 cam and 1.7 rockers on them, id imagine they're upgraded.
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:49 PM   #9
ADL
Regular

1987 GT

Technically, the cam will run on those springs but it is not advisable. Valvetrain stability in the upper revs is going to be none.
Old July 21st, 2013, 05:22 PM   #10
Regular

86, 87-93 lx int/ext 5.0

Hm im unsure of the cam ive got in my car now and not sure if my motor was swapping from 86 to and 87-93 car or not, i've got so many unknowns i feel i should just replace everything, even if i just do these gt40p heads i will still have to buy oil pump, valve springs, gasket kit, valve covers, all fluids, dowell pins, new upper, lower, TB, injectors, fuel rail, timing sprockets and chain, and im sure there's more im forgetting... I'm going to add it all up tonight but it almost seems if its just buying used cast iron heads, used TB intake etc if its just $500 more or less than i feel i should just buy a complete upper end kit from LMR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.