Fox Body Rear End Swap Problems
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 3rd, 2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Look Ma! My First Post!

RustySh4ckelfrd is on a distinguished road

Fox Body Rear End Swap Problems

Hey guys, I have a 1991 Mustang GT that I recently upgraded the rear end in. The rear end that was in it was the stock 8.8 rear end that had 2:73 gears (hence the upgrade). It had drum brakes as well.

This is where things get a little complicated. I had bought a parts car awhile back, a 1988 Mustang GT. The reason for buying it was because it had a 8.8 rear end in it with 3:73 gears and the price was reasonable to buy the rest of the car as well. So I bought the car and brought it home and started stripping parts off of it.

Just recently I finally got around to installing the rear end that was in that parts car into my actual driver (the 91 GT). The rear end that came out of the parts car had disc brakes instead of drum brakes, but still had 4-lug axles.

The rear end is currently installed in my car and it functions, but there are a few problems. First of all, the quad shocks that were the stock ones that go along with the stock rear end are no longer usable. We drove it down off the ramps and noticed the back end sat up real high and was as stiff as a board, so we got it back up in the air and found that the quad shocks were maxed out, so we took them out so that the rear suspension could actually function.

However, now that the quad shocks are out, the tires ( 17" rims, 255/45's) now rub going down the road quite a bit. We've been looking at it and it seems as though the rear end we put in is a little bit wider than the stock one that was in it. We've been thinking that the rear end with the 3:73's was out of a SN95 Mustang, which is why it had disc brakes, but then why would it still have 4 lug axles?

Another issue we have is that the e-brake cables don't reach quite far enough in this new rear end, they seem to be an inch or so too short. So do you guys have any suggestions on what e-brake cables would work?

So if any of you guys can shed some light on my problems that would be great. I basically just need to know what to do about the rubbing issue due to the wider rear end. I think it could be solved with new quad shocks, but I don't know which ones to buy due to not knowing what the rear end I have is originally out of, or if they even make quad shocks that would work. The issue seems to be where the quad shock bolts up on the rear end itself. On the stock fox body rear end the bracket was straight up and down, on this new one the bracket is at a bit of an angle, which is why the quad shocks don't work anymore.

Thanks in advance for taking your time to read this and help me out, I appreciate it greatly.

(ps. do any of you know right off hand which speedometer gear I need for the 3:73 gears so that my speedo is accurate?)
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2013, 03:00 PM   #2
Enthusiast

1984 Mustang 5.0 L

4eyedfoxdriver is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Differential, so it would be about .75in wider on each side. Also the mounts need to be fitted for the quad shocks on the Mustang.

83 GT : 3.55, TW170 , fms intake ,650dp ,OR H, Mac dumps,
Fordstrokers 347 on order....
Old August 3rd, 2013, 04:09 PM   #3
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

New quad shock are not going to solve your rubbing. If your tires were not rubbing with them on it is only because they were maxed out binding your suspension and holding the back of your car up in the air? Ride height and fender clearance has nothing to do with the quads. They are Ford's band-aid to limit wheel hop. If you are worried about wheel hop and do not want the quads, get just about any aftermarket rear control arm, the wheel hop will be reduced by at least the same amount that the quad shocks were capable of and your quad shocks can stay in the trash. That still leaves you with rubbing issue, get rims with more backspace, narrower tires, or roll your fenders?

Pulling an axle and measuring it would give you a better idea of what is in there, it is probably a TC or could be a mixture of things like a 95+ Mustang with 4 lug axles.
Old August 3rd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #4
ADL
Regular

1987 GT

ADL is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you definitely have an '87/'88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe rear axle. They came factory with 3.55 gears (manual trans) or 3.73 gears (automatic trans) and 4-lug disc brakes. The identical brake set-up was also used on the 1993 Cobra. The axle shafts in these rear ends are 3/4" longer for a 1 1/2" overall track width increase when installed in a '79-'93 Mustang.

Ford Motorsport / Ford Racing offered these same brakes in kit form (M-2300-C) for use on Mustang's but featured special caliper mounting brackets with an offset in them so that the Mustang's stock axles could be re-used and the stock track width retained.

The Ford kit is no longer available but North Race Cars currently produces similar brackets and they are of good quality. Removing the existing caliper brackets and installing the North Race Cars brackets would allow you to keep the disc brakes and restore the track width to stock and therefor resolve your tire rubbing issue.

The brackets are available directly from North Race Cars or Late Model Restoration sells them. Here is a link to LMRS:

1979-93 Mustang Rear Disk Brake Caliper Adapter Brackets for Use with 1987-88 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Calipers with Hardware - LatemodelRestoration.com

The axle damper brackets on the Thunderbird rear axle are different so they will either need to be modified or you will have to go without the axle dampers.

Nothing is ever easy...
Old August 5th, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Regular

1987 gt 5speed
13.74 stock w/3.73s

Bryanthehunter is on a distinguished road

definatly turbo coupe rear end. JUST did this and had exact same problems. take the quad shocks off and drill the hole's for them on the dif. 2inch's lower. and make sure you didn't tighten your control arms with the rear end hanging. tighten them as close to ride height as possible. this will fix all your problems, I litterilly just did this last weekend. You don't need any special brake brackets or anything but brake lines, the cables part#LRS-2635D form late model resto. and a 94-95gt master cylinder and proportioning valve. as long as you don't mind the width you'll be done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.