Turn Signals Problem
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 15th, 2007, 11:42 AM   #1
Regular

1988 Mustang GT Vert

ridebmxfbm is on a distinguished road

Turn Signals Problem

My turn signals work when they want to, then when they don't they stay solid and dont blink when I switch them on... I also tryed a new MFS switch and it did the same thing... Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks...
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #2
MM Fanatic

baine21225 has a spectacular aura aboutbaine21225 has a spectacular aura aboutbaine21225 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to baine21225

i had a similar problem with my headlights, i found that it was one of the wires in the connector that goes into the back of the steering column. it was only loose and wiggled about a 16th of an inch but thats what fixed it for me
Old August 15th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Regular

hopper is on a distinguished road

this tends to be a problem i found with the light bulb itself.. check the connection at the bulb and make sure the receptical isn't full of unwanted shit. clean it an put some diolytic grease in there.
hope this helps
Old August 15th, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Have you looked at the plug in blinker module? Its only like $2 at any auto parts store (you know, they thing that makes that clicking noise when you have the turn signal on).
They flash based on the current flow. That is why when you have a burned out bulb, they flash really slow or not at all (not enough current to flash) and when you have a shorted or screwed up bulb, they flash really fast (too much current).
If you put the turn signal to the left and the front and rear turn signals light up at normal brightness but do not actually flash (and the same for the right side), I would replace the flasher module.
It is mounted in the fuse box and may require a 90 degree turn to get it out.

Edit: add a little more stuff I forgot about. Next time the turn signals stop working, try the hazards. They use most of the same wiring as the turn signals and will help you narrow the problem down based on if they work or not while the run signals do not.
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:12 PM   #5
Regular

1988 Mustang GT Vert

the hazards blink good, but the turn signals dont they just stay solid...
Old August 16th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #6
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ridebmxfbm
the hazards blink good, but the turn signals dont they just stay solid...
From what I can see with the diagrams I have, the only difference is the actual turn signal switch and that $2 metal can flasher unit thing I described in the last post. Basically, if the hazards work, the wiring to the lights, the lights themselves are fine, if the turn signals come on but don't flash, you also know that the are getting power that way as well but just not flashing which also should eliminate your turn signal switch being bad. I'd say try the $2 flasher thing. Worst case, you are only out a few bucks.
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:34 AM   #7
Regular

1988 Mustang GT Vert

Sry I toke so long to post again, there's no flasher module on the fuse box... whereelse could it be?
Old August 20th, 2007, 05:32 PM   #8

92_LX_5.0 is on a distinguished road

i had this problem several times with my fox body, replace your ignition swith....does the AC stop working?
Old August 20th, 2007, 06:42 PM   #9
Regular

1988 Mustang GT Vert

idk I dont have a/c, but everything else is fine besides the turn signals they work when they want too, the hazards flash fine, but the turn signals stay solid when you put them on...
Old August 20th, 2007, 10:16 PM   #10

92_LX_5.0 is on a distinguished road

i am telling you, i thought it was really weird but try replacing the ignition switch....i took the cover off of my steering column and i put pressure on the ignition switch and everything would work, if i took pressure off, it would do exactly as you are describing...
Old August 21st, 2007, 02:43 PM   #11
Regular

1988 Mustang GT Vert

I will try that thanks 92 lx.. I'll let you know how it goes thanks
Old August 21st, 2007, 03:07 PM   #12
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

You have got to have a turn signal flasher module somewhere in the car, if it is not on the front of the fuse box, try the back of it or somewhere in the area. It is a shiny metal or plastic can device that is about just over an inch across and about an inch tall. Although this is of no use to you, the one for the emergency flashers is normally behind the glove box (it is a different model). These things do fail and 9 out of 10 times when they do, your turns signals light up but do not flash. It might not be the problem but I'd verify that before you did anything else.
Old September 4th, 2007, 10:41 PM   #13
Regular

1988 Mustang GT Vert

I found a circular can flasher behind the fuse box and I changed it out for a new one, but still my turn signals do not flash they stay solid but my hazards flash...
Old September 4th, 2007, 11:22 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2002 Mustang GT

neverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura aboutneverfastenough1 has a spectacular aura about

I believe this has come up before and that there is a seperate flasher for the hazards which is on the fuse panel and one for the turn signals which is in the steering column or under the dash, can't remember. Usually if it is a bulb out, the flasher will flash fast, and when the flasher is out it will come on and not flash.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Turn Signals Problem
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TURN SIGNALS STOPPED WORKING!! HELP!! 1answer Modular Mustangs 7 July 8th, 2007 12:17 AM
Anyone Have Sequential Turn Signals? 96Snaker Audio/Video 18 March 18th, 2007 12:11 PM
Ranger Turn Signals Stan27 All Other Vehicles 8 July 30th, 2006 12:58 AM
Turn Signals todd5501 General Tech 4 April 29th, 2006 08:29 PM