need FAST help please
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 20th, 2013, 01:54 AM   #1
Regular

1988 mustang 5.0

8850d is on a distinguished road

need FAST help please

Ok please no down talk I all ready did have done many times on other cars with no issues. So I cut the coils on my fox I did the rear one full coil cut. It dropped the rear driver side perfectly where I want it at the top of the tire for some reason it dropped the passenger rear side a half a inch higher I drove it and tried to get it to settle but no luck. From bottom of rim lip is 22 inch to fender and 22 1/2 inch's on the passenger side I have to try and spin the coil to see if the high spot will turn to get that half inch gone or cut a little more off. it is very noticeable :.

OK NOW the question I have no clue how much to cut the front and don't want to put together to take apart and cut more or take rear apart to cut more. Might have no choice I know there longer coils but should I just do half a coil or go full coil I don't want it any lower and want it the same height. Has any one done this what is the difference in cut from front to rear to get the same height a half coil difference from front to rear the same I have no clue? some people say one coil in rear adn half in front does anyone know if this gives it the same drop and levels the ride or gives it a slight rake? I am trying to get a fast answer for I am finishing the rear to get same height in the early am then starting to take front end apart to do front at around 9 am I hope.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

94 Mustang Gt

nkausch will become famous soon enoughnkausch will become famous soon enough

Start at half a coil and go from there. Trust me its better to go in little increments. And it's easy to take springs out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

70mm Turbo Build
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #3

TXMAG is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by nkausch View Post
Start at half a coil and go from there. Trust me its better to go in little increments. And it's easy to take springs out

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This. Every car is a little different so there is no "one size fits all" answer.

Just keep in mind that it's a Hell of a lot easier to take more off than to put some back on.
Old September 20th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

gaymaro
12.97 @140mph

flattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura about

Fuggin swap from left to right and your body weight should drop it when your in it.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Measure from the ground to the fender lip btw. Not from the bottom of the rim.
Old September 20th, 2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Regular

1988 mustang 5.0

ok thanks all or the answers yes I know can cut more off CAN'T put more back on and also I measured from bottom rim lip to fender for the fact my ground is so un level LOL I live in the foot hills and the drive way is circular and very uneven I am going to start this now will let you all know the outcome with pic's
Old September 20th, 2013, 05:41 PM   #6
Regular

bottle fed 02

Bham gt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 8850d View Post
ok thanks all or the answers yes I know can cut more off CAN'T put more back on and also I measured from bottom rim lip to fender for the fact my ground is so un level LOL I live in the foot hills and the drive way is circular and very uneven I am going to start this now will let you all know the outcome with pic's
That could be the problem
Old September 20th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Better than Drugs!

96 Cobra, panty dropper
Slitherin @ the speed of smell

mayosailor27 has a spectacular aura aboutmayosailor27 has a spectacular aura about

The first you do when checking suspension is get it level. Come on man.
98 GT-traded
98 GT-parted
94 GT/Cobra-sold
95 Cobra Saleened-sold
97 Cobra-sold
99 GT-sold
97 Cobra-sold
95 Cobra- sold
97 Cobra-parts
96 Cobra-sold
96 Cobra- Project "Dead Pony"

MM Cobra member 969
Old September 28th, 2013, 01:15 AM   #8
Regular

1988 mustang 5.0

been very busy but I got it all done I was getting about half inch difference on my property so I stopped took it to the gas station and it was at 25 inches in the front and at 25 1/4 in back I am very pleased with how it came out. It looks way better it also handles better and I am very surprised it did not effect the ride quality that much at all. I have a integra I once cut coils before I got the suspension done and OMG NEVER again it made the ride quality so horrible. I am very shocked it did not do the same on the mustang I have read the first coils are dead coils don't know if true or not but it did not make it a horrible ride at all.

I also was messing around with plasti dip the last few days I did the bottom of the car all the way around made hash marks on both sides I did all the black on the car mirrors windshield wipers rear quarter panel windows and all the trim I also did the hood with a strip from the top up by the firewall grate that kind of v's down to the bumper it came out very good I will try and upload the pic's tomorrow. Next will be the rim's
Old September 28th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #9
Regular

1991 Mustang LX

RicksMach1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TXMAG View Post
This. Every car is a little different so there is no "one size fits all" answer.

Just keep in mind that it's a Hell of a lot easier to take more off than to put some back on.
lololl!!!
Old September 28th, 2013, 11:52 PM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

1993 Mustang GT

fb93 is a glorious beacon of lightfb93 is a glorious beacon of lightfb93 is a glorious beacon of lightfb93 is a glorious beacon of lightfb93 is a glorious beacon of lightfb93 is a glorious beacon of light

BTW, if the rear springs are not positioned the same, meaning the cut end of one spring is facing to the left side of the car and the cut end of the other spring is facing the right side of the car, there can be 1/4" difference in ride height. If they are facing the same direction now, try turning one of them. It might help, might not.

Same deal with the fronts as far as positioning goes, but i have no idea of the difference side to side.
Old October 4th, 2013, 08:32 PM   #11
Regular

1988 mustang 5.0

I am trying to upload the photos right now. I know what you mean by the cut springs pointing the same way. I put the pig tails facing the driver side as stated before and it makes sense when you look at it that it is the right way they go.

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

e5e93e45-adf3-45a0-ad2e-6761bd45aa01_zpsbebaf46e.jpg Photo by a50stang | Photobucket

That should take you to all my pictures I THINK???? I am new to this photobucket crap and trying to add pictures to this sight

---------- Post added at 05:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 PM ----------

So what you will be looking at is a 88 mustang 5.0 bought 100% stock. I have added bbk equal length shorty headers BBK off road H pipe Spin tech mufflers dumped at rear axles. I also have added Trick Flow track heat upper and lower manifold msd coil BBK C/A/I. I am running lower springs AC works great timing is set at 14* and ProForm electric fan and I bypassed the smog pump shorter belt. I might have more I am forgetting. It is just my work in progress and daily driver slowly but shurly getting done I do all my own work. The side got hit by a car on christman eve last year guy backed into me. I got a nice check for it and my uncle who is a body man for ford for 25+ years fixed it the RIGHT way and showed me the how to's so I can go around myself now and fix the little nicks and dings. never bothered about the primer spot id doesn't bug me that much and it has the clear coat in the primer so it is fine plus I wanted trick flow and other performance stuff. I went on a plasti dip adventure to see if I would like that color scheme and I do. I need to put more coats on spoiler and hood for it is rattle can streaked. Soon I will have a nice short shifter I also have a Jensen indash dvd touch screen with a nice system lows mids highs and subs all Rockford Fosgate.

The only thing I did not like about the car when bought was the red and black interior BUT now I don't mind red and black ( car body was red and gray did not go with red and black I thought ) I like the red and black interior now. I am going to get it painted that scheme with a 93 cobra front bumper and saleen spoiler. Then get the interior redone it is very nice and clean but has some carpet stains I cant get out and a wear rip on side of front driver seat and it is very thin upholstery on driver and passenger seats also. I am thinking of having the seats done red outside in leather or the same vinyl that is in it and black insert.

So check it out let me know what you guys think how it looks things that should stay or go I did the hash marks there the same on both sides measured it all out and what not. did gas door also just to see what it would look like hey its just dip right peel it off gota love it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.