Modded Mustang Forums banner

Gear ratio

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  1BADSTANG 
#1 ·
My car has stock gears. Im definitely doing 3.73's (set i know i should do 4.10's just let me get my 3.73's.) How can i figure out my stock gearing in my 1988 mustang gt? thanks everyone/ also whats the best intake to use? the manifold has upper and lower right? i see people using gt-40 but is that a contender to the real deal? what is the real deal? Im planning on getting a set of heads also probobly AFR but what are a cheaper set that are almost as good flowing? thanks a lot everyone try and help me out :3gears

#4 ·
notsoslow50 said:
youll be fine with 3.73's. you can also get tfs heads they will run a little bit more than a grand. but gt40's arent bad either, they jsut are toublesome,from what i hear, when it comes to celarence from headers to spark plugs.
the gt40 ones dont have any clearence issues I belive its the gt40p heads that have the issues with spark plug angle you need to buy special headers made for them. And they are not cheap

#5 ·
8t6gt said:
notsoslow50 said:
youll be fine with 3.73's. you can also get tfs heads they will run a little bit more than a grand. but gt40's arent bad either, they jsut are toublesome,from what i hear, when it comes to celarence from headers to spark plugs.
the gt40 ones dont have any clearence issues I belive its the gt40p heads that have the issues with spark plug angle you need to buy special headers made for them. And they are not cheap
gt40p's have trouble with the spark plug clearance and the header,and what afr heads are you looking at.

#6 ·
if you KNOW you should get 4:10s, then why are you going with 3:73s? haha, you said it, I am just asking.

When you say GT40, are you referring to the Gt40 irons, gt40p irons, gt40X aluminum, I believe there is also gt40y and gt40 turbo swirl...

the aluminum gt40x heads arent bad...But comparing a gt40 or gt40p iron head with a TFS or AFR head is CRAZY...if you have the money, go with a good aluminum head...I see alot of good stuff with Vic JRs too.

#7 ·
i wouldnt put victors jrs on a mildly modified 302.

#9 ·
that came out wrong,i mean why put them on a 302, thats had no internal work!!there too big for one, they might work well with a 347 though.And if you were to use a 302 with these heads you would have to rev the hell out of it to make good power.

#10 ·
+1...victor jrs are good for highly modified 302's or strokers...i had performer rpms on my 1st stang..and it only had cam, and CAI and that car ran awesome...

#11 ·
I even called edelbrock a while back and they recommended performers over the vic jrs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.