How to power shift?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:46 PM   #1
Regular

93'_GT is on a distinguished road

How to power shift?

I got a 1993 Mustang GT kinda stock. I thought i could shift.......untill i saw this vid. He makes the car sound like an auto with a shift kit!!!
HOW can i shift like this, He says to NEVER let up on the gas but if you look at it you can see his right foot move. Can i do this with a PRO 5.0, BBK clutch cable/quadrent and a stock transmission?

http://videos.streetfire.net/categor...87fbe7dc64.htm
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM   #2
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute

Damn that guys good but this will problly det moved to the clubhouse
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Anatidaephobic

1966 Ford Mustang
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Vinyl66 has a spectacular aura aboutVinyl66 has a spectacular aura aboutVinyl66 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Vinyl66

i could be wrong but i thik he's just slamming gear at high rpm without using the clutch. once your that high rpm you can just slam it and it should mesh. i could be serioucly wrong tho haha
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM   #4
The Razor's Edge

White Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to White Thunder

thats pretty good but i know i can shift that good too....i move my hands around the same way when i shift. if he is moving his right foot he might be going to half throttle so he doesn't hit the rev limiter......i love the sound of the supercharger.....

Originally Posted by skuzzy View Post
how do you put someones quote in your sig?
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:11 PM   #5
The Razor's Edge

White Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the rough

i've heard that some cars have a rpm they can do that at i don't know if he is either. I wouldn't try it...

Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:41 PM   #6
Regular

Has any one done this with a fox mustang?

Stock 5.0 Engine M/T Drag Radials
E.T.- 13.859
MPH-97.23
60 foot-1.853
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM   #7
MM Fanatic

ryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the rough

Powershifting is just shifting without letting off the gas pedal. You still use the clutch, there is no magic rpm. If you try to shift a syncro trans without the clutch and full throttle, you'll be picking up the pieces for a week.

In general, powershifting is good for like 1-2 tenths at the track and will decrease the lifetime of your transmission and clutch components to about 1/3 of their normal lifetime. Whether or not that is worth it is up to you!

yeah, you can powershift a stock fox mustang if your syncros are still in good shape.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 03:56 PM   #8
Regular

HAH they are and I plan to keep it that way Thanks for the info
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:12 PM   #9
Anatidaephobic

1966 Ford Mustang
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS

Vinyl66 has a spectacular aura aboutVinyl66 has a spectacular aura aboutVinyl66 has a spectacular aura about

good info i think ill try it with my 2000 kia sephia haha
Old October 3rd, 2007, 04:48 PM   #10
MM Fanatic

ryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the rough

The more horsepower you have, the harder powershifting is on your drivetrain, so you can probably powershift a 4 banger all day long everyday and not hurt anything...well, let me know if anything breaks
Old October 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM   #11
Anatidaephobic

1966 Ford Mustang
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS

went ok i wish it had a tach in it but i was a little jerky i need some practice. although it was funny because some ricer in a honda civic wanted to race haha.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM   #12
Anatidaephobic

1966 Ford Mustang
2012 Hyundai Elantra GLS

so of course i lit off the NOS and smoked'em
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM   #13
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute

I can do it with mine at about 5000 rpms I let off the gas pedal half way slam in the clutch real quick and throw it in third as fast as possible. And the same for fourth I got a hurst shifter wich makes it alot easyer but i dont do it alot only when there is a car that I am running that is not a ricer
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:48 PM   #14
Regular

sivart is on a distinguished road

i cant drive with sandals to save my life, they always get stuck on the floor...but i could powershift with my old car but havnt tried with the fox...just yet

And it scared the crap out of me.

So that's it...............

After today, NO MORE READING.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 06:59 PM   #15
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

Originally Posted by sivart
i cant drive with sandals to save my life, they always get stuck on the floor...but i could powershift with my old car but havnt tried with the fox...just yet
Then go out there and do it but if you got the stock shifter without shift stops and the stock throw be carefull because you dont want to over shift it to much I didnt even beat on my shifter when I had the stock one in it. When you buy a short shifter like the Hurst billet plus I have you will take the stock one out and its like sheet metal compared to the hurst base its amazing the difference
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:08 PM   #16
The Razor's Edge

make sure when your shifting into 2nd and 4th that your not looking like your starting a lawn mower, nice smooth shifts. Take your time and learn when the best time to shit. I wouldn't recomend going to 6 grand and then shifting you have to do it a lil earlier....

Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:18 PM   #17
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

definityl dont go to 6 grand try it at 4 grand or lower first to get the hang of it I tried a 3grand the first time I ever did it so you can get the throw down
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:37 PM   #18
Regular

sivart is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 8t6gt
Originally Posted by sivart
Then go out there and do it but if you got the stock shifter without shift stops and the stock throw be carefull because you dont want to over shift it to much I didnt even beat on my shifter when I had the stock one in it. When you buy a short shifter like the Hurst billet plus I have you will take the stock one out and its like sheet metal compared to the hurst base its amazing the difference
ill get a short throw pretty soon....i like the pro 5.0, my friend has one in his car and its super short and nice and smooth....the stock one is like the guy in the back can shift it to 2nd :wink

And it scared the crap out of me.

So that's it...............

After today, NO MORE READING.
Old October 3rd, 2007, 07:58 PM   #19
Regular

93fourbangerstanger is an unknown quantity at this point

ya double clutching works

it takes a little practice tho

its pretty much not letting of the gas all the way. shifting fast wial doing it it kinda gives your car a push as you shift but it will burn your clutch also...so dont do it tooo much

fukin gas prices!
Old October 3rd, 2007, 09:03 PM   #20
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 93'_GT
Has any one done this with a fox mustang?
I've tried several times in my stock 91 at the track years ago between 1st and 2nd. Didn't seem to be worth the beating or risk. Based on the limited amount of street racing I've seen, more people speed shift than don't speed shift and I thought it was very common.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: How to power shift?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
best shift....... lwhitetrash88l V6 Mustangs 25 June 19th, 2007 12:24 PM
shift kit theodoor24 Classic Mustangs 15 May 10th, 2007 06:58 PM
shift kit flattusmaximus78 V6 Mustangs 73 February 1st, 2007 03:21 PM
Looking for a shift kit Jaded25 V6 Mustangs 7 January 23rd, 2007 12:01 AM
Shift Kit trueballerisme V6 Mustangs 9 January 6th, 2007 08:20 PM