How can u tell if its the starter or the solenoid?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 27th, 2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Regular

noyz25 is an unknown quantity at this point

How can u tell if its the starter or the solenoid?

Most of the time it cranks but sometimes it dont. And push starting a mustang by yourself is noooo fun.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #2
El Conquistador

83 coupe

whiteboycustom is just really nicewhiteboycustom is just really nicewhiteboycustom is just really nicewhiteboycustom is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to whiteboycustom Send a message via Yahoo to whiteboycustom

do u have headers on ur car???i know once i put my long tubes on the starter wouldnt want to turn over once it was hot
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

heat soak ?
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM   #4
Banned

1965 Mustang Fastback

nba1341 will become famous soon enough

the solenoid will make a little smoke come out of it

[COLOR=red][B]slow car club - crew member 7 of 9

[COLOR=White]Mood: Cool :cool:
[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]
Old October 27th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

TENGRAM is on a distinguished road

if it cranks too slow to start it sounds more like a cable problem. if when it doesn't start it doesn't do anything at all it could be a tfi issue.
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:01 PM   #6
The Razor's Edge

White Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to White Thunder

advance auto buddy

Originally Posted by skuzzy View Post
how do you put someones quote in your sig?
Old October 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #7
RLY SRS

ChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant futureChrisJ has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ

When it doesn't start does it click or anything?

Just in case you guys dont know the starter solenoid is on the driver side fenderwell...Not that bad for heatsoak...
Old October 27th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #8
Regular

noyz25 is an unknown quantity at this point

No click no nuthing. And yeah when it does start it goes like crank pause crank pause VROOOM. Could that be cuz i have my timing at 14 advance?
Old October 27th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #9
Banned

1965 Mustang Fastback

nba1341 will become famous soon enough

have you tried banging on the solenoid?

[COLOR=red][B]slow car club - crew member 7 of 9

[COLOR=White]Mood: Cool :cool:
[/COLOR][/B] [/COLOR]
Old October 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #10
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

Speedstang302 will become famous soon enoughSpeedstang302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by noyz25
No click no nuthing. And yeah when it does start it goes like crank pause crank pause VROOOM. Could that be cuz i have my timing at 14 advance?
whats done to the motor..i'd say if no bigger cam i'd do 12* i run 14* w/ f303 cam and 1.6's
Old October 28th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #11
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

It could be either. Even with some troubleshooting, there are problems with both that will give the same indications. I will venture a guess though that if you hear absolutely nothing at all, not even the solenoid click when attempting to start, it is something between the ignition switch and the solenoid and not the starter.
You can just about narrow it down by trying a temporary jumper.
Two words of caution
1) Put you car in N if 5 speed or park if auto because doing this jumper thing I am describing bypasses the N safety switch and the clutch switch so be careful, double check it, really.
2) Keep the keys out of the ignition while doing this and just in case, take the rotor out as well to keep it from actually starting.

Place a small jumper wire between the positive on the battery and the small threaded stud on the top of the solenoid. The car should crank and keep cranking the whole time this jumper is attached. If you do not hear the solenoid click, the solenoid is bad or the ground for it is bad. If the solenoid clicks but you do not hear the starter engage, it is the wiring to the starter, the starter itself, or it could still be the solenoid.

If the solenoid clicks and the starter turns over fine then it is something from the ignition switch to the solenoid which includes the clutch switch.

If you are not sure what small screw terminal on the solenoid I am referring to attaching the jumper on, look through a manual or a wiring diagram somewhere. Don't just start touching things with a live jumper wire attached to the the battery.

Being an intermittent problem makes things a little tricky. The next time it does not start for you, listen for the solenoid click, that is the major thing for narrowing it down. There are a lot of things that click when you turn the key, have someone close to the solenoid to make sure.
Report back your results and we can take the next steps!

Don't forget to put the rotor back in
Old October 28th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #12
Regular

BigBlockFairlane is on a distinguished road

The whole system needs to be be looked at. 1st, the solinoid is cheap. Just swap in a new one.

I personally bet the battery is going or you have a bad ground.
Try hooking a set of jumpercables from the block to the frame when the problem happens and see if it fixes it. If yes, bad ground.

Also a bad voltage regulator or alternator will keep the battery from charging. (all my cars are pre 1971 so forgive me if the VR is electronic or part of the computer or something)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: How can u tell if its the starter or the solenoid?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Starter/solenoid problem WIKD 2.3 Mustangs 2 October 4th, 2007 07:15 PM
solenoid after solenoid after solennoid fakesaleen General Tech 13 May 11th, 2007 09:42 PM
starter solenoid question fastford3388 5.0 Mustangs 2 April 23rd, 2007 10:40 PM
Starter solenoid? 8A_Honda 5.0 Mustangs 9 March 13th, 2007 12:23 AM
Starter or Starter Relay cobralini 5.0 Mustangs 7 August 3rd, 2006 06:34 PM