Speedometer probs!? help please
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:08 PM   #1
Regular

1985 Mustang GT

matt0114 is on a distinguished road

Speedometer probs!? help please

I recently purchased an '85 GT and the speedometer didn't read anything at all, so i got a new speedometer gear put in (car has 3.73 gears and didn't have the right speedo gear) but it still isn't working right. The speedometer originally just sat at 0 mph, now the speedometer just acts funny... sometimes it will sit at 0mph, sometimes it will jump around constantly, and sometimes it is pegged all the way past 85 mph. anyone know what to do?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 31st, 2007, 02:38 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

2013 Mustang GT
12.34@113.20

sonicblue will become famous soon enough

check the speedometer cable
2004 mustang gt 520rwhp, 491 trq sold
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:43 PM   #3
MM Fanatic

ryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the rough

The speedometer is mechanical, so you can eliminate electrical problems.

The problem could be the speedometer itself is broken, the drive gear on the output shaft of the transmission isn't in the correct location, or the speedometer cable is messed up. From the sounds of it, I think you have a bad gauge.
89 LX procharged 302 515 hp 497 ftlbs 10.7 @130 mph - sold it

Old October 31st, 2007, 02:43 PM   #4
Regular

1985 Mustang GT

check it as in how? the shop that replaced the gear on the end of the cable didn't say there was any problem with the cable itself... he said it may be a gear inside the transmission that needed to be replaced as well, but he wants way to much monies to pull the transmission, so im trying to find out whats up before i call my granddad to get his mechanic to look at it for me (he lives about 2 hrs away, so i want to know most/all my options before i head out there. )
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:46 PM   #5
Regular

1991 Mustang GT

fastford3388 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fastford3388

for 3.73's you need the red gear for your speedometer cable. If you go to ford and tell them the info on your car and just tell them you need the red gear, they should know what you are talking about. double check the connections in the tail shaft and in the back of the gauge, make sure the bolt that holds the cable into the tail shaft is tight. the chances that the gauge is broken is unlikely.

hope that helps

- '90 Mustang LX-Sold "Debbie"
- '89 Mustang GT- Deceased "Lucy"
- '91 Mustang GT-70,000 mi "The Unicorn"

Old October 31st, 2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Regular

1991 Mustang GT

fastford3388 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fastford3388

Oh and don't pull the tranny! i don't know what mechanic thinks that pulling the tranny will help but they are wrong. replacing this gear is easy and it can be done in 1/2 an hour with a floor jack and a 10mm wrench.

- '90 Mustang LX-Sold "Debbie"
- '89 Mustang GT- Deceased "Lucy"
- '91 Mustang GT-70,000 mi "The Unicorn"

Old October 31st, 2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Regular

1985 Mustang GT

well my ford place must be full of dumbasses cause i told them my setup and they didn't know what they needed to give me o.O the only thing they had instock was a black speedo gear (20 tooth) and they had some 21 tooth gears on order. Its only like 8$ for the gear so i went ahead and got the 20 tooth gear. < i had read on the forum last week sometime that the 3.73 gears you needed the 20 / 21 tooth gear.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:54 PM   #8
Regular

1985 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by fastford3388
Oh and don't pull the tranny! i don't know what mechanic thinks that pulling the tranny will help but they are wrong. replacing this gear is easy and it can be done in 1/2 an hour with a floor jack and a 10mm wrench.

he said that the tranny would need to be pulled to look at the gear that is inside the tranny (the gear that the speedo gear connects to) and yeah, he wanted 300$ just to drop the tranny.... i think i paid 200$ total in labor for my grandfathers mechanic to fully replace the tranny in my truck.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:55 PM   #9
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

Your cable may be stiff or kinked and need some lubrication. If it is getting stuck, this may also explain the reason you needed a gear. You can pull the instrument cluster and gain access to the cable and can get some wd40 or light oil in it. That is a lot of work though if that is not your problem.
Old October 31st, 2007, 02:58 PM   #10
Regular

1985 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by nolife
Your cable may be stiff or kinked and need some lubrication. If it is getting stuck, this may also explain the reason you needed a gear. You can pull the instrument cluster and gain access to the cable and can get some wd40 or light oil in it. That is a lot of work though if that is not your problem.

its not getting stuck, it just doesn't give an accuratge reading. kinda bounces around anywhere from 0 -85+...... its getting really annyoing having to follow other people around so im not speeding everywhere i go
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:04 PM   #11
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

nolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the roughnolife is a jewel in the rough

As it gets stuck it starts to twist up and then gets unstuck, that would cause jumping because it is moving fast and slow on the speedo end. If it really gets stuck good, it will twist up and break or the gears will strip out and the speedo will then not move at all. If you have long periods of no movement on the speedo, it is probably not the cable as it would have broken already.
Old October 31st, 2007, 03:15 PM   #12
Regular

1985 Mustang GT

but it doesn't seem to be stuck, it just goes whereever it wants.... i think i am confused though
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:23 PM   #13
MM Fanatic

91GT, 88GT, 02GT

If the cable is sticking or getting hung up.
Both ends of the speedo cable have to spin around the same amount of times. Assume you are going 40 mph, the cable at the transmission end may be spinning at a constant 100 rpm. The end at the speedometer may stop spinning or spin really slow for a short period and the cable builds up some tension, suddenly it breaks free and now spins 150 rpm to catch up with the other end and then gets stuck again. They still turn the same amount of times overall but the speedo end is erratic because it is getting caught up which causes your speedo to read erratic. This can happen on a much smaller scale and cause your speedo to bounce around and read all over the place. This extra cable tension can eventually cause the gear to strip out as well.

This may not be your your specific problem but it is one thing that it could be.
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:50 PM   #14
Regular

03 Mach 1

kreil45 is on a distinguished road

hope this helps mine was masking alot of noise and was inaccurite. now with the speedo cable the part that goes in the tranny is metal and the part that goes in the speedo is plastic. i heard that you can buy the all metal.i took out my cluster and found that the plastic peice was broken off in the gauge so when the cable turned it was turning the broken piece but, not like it was suposed to. so i took a small i mean small drill bit and SLOWLY drilled it into the broken piece in the gauge and then pulled it out. the lube up the new/used cable put it all back together. and know i can see how fast i am going when i am smoking the rice burns . hope that helps and i hope i was clear. it was in head.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:53 PM   #15
MM Fanatic

ryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the rough

If you gauge is sticking at 85, your gauge is bad, unless you are doing over 85.
89 LX procharged 302 515 hp 497 ftlbs 10.7 @130 mph - sold it

Old November 14th, 2007, 09:25 AM   #16
Regular

sneezingfox is on a distinguished road

I just put a new transmission (replacement) and new speedo cable and noy at about 75mph, my speedo reads 140+! A friend said that it needs time to "settle". True, or untrue?!
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:28 AM   #17
Banned

1988 Mustang Notch
it's a bad bitch..i promise

CAMN89GT is loose again, somebody get the straightjacket

Originally Posted by sneezingfox View Post
I just put a new transmission (replacement) and new speedo cable and noy at about 75mph, my speedo reads 140+! A friend said that it needs time to "settle". True, or untrue?!
nope not "true" , you got something wrong in there. are you sure u have the correct speedo gear?

Tuned by [B][I][U]Kurgan Motorsports[/U][/I][/B]
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

1990 Mustang GT
havent gone since gears

Iwannagofast will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Iwannagofast

when i first got my car i took in out to see how fast it would go and when i got to 125 the needle just fell all the way past 140 and when i slowed down it came back out.....hasnt done it since
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:28 AM   #19
Regular

sneezingfox is on a distinguished road

Yes, I am sure I have the right gear. I didn't change it. The only thing I changed was the speedo cable. I just found out however that the trans that I put in is out of a 92 gt. Mine is a 1989. WIll that cause any issues?
Old November 18th, 2007, 10:07 PM   #20
Enthusiast

02 Mustang GT
Cant wait to find out

Black Five 0h is on a distinguished road

mine bounces around also, i put a new gear in for 3.55's and put the new cable in, about an hour job not so bad but make sure its the right one for your car (cruise contol or not) thats why mine bounces around they gave me one without cruise

"We build it up, run it hard, we know whats breaking and we enjoy it breaking, we dump money into it, we re-build it stronger, run it harder in anticipation of it breaking again. We are sick individuals."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Speedometer probs!? help please
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PC probs.. El_Cangri The Clubhouse 4 July 28th, 2007 02:27 AM
More probs alabamastanger 5.0 Mustangs 1 June 5th, 2007 06:34 PM
Probs alabamastanger 5.0 Mustangs 7 May 30th, 2007 06:30 PM
sig probs. joka187 ModdedMustangs.com Feedback Forum 1 May 14th, 2007 12:18 AM
TPS probs Invictus Modular Mustangs 15 November 23rd, 2006 09:17 PM