Supercharger vs. Turbocharger
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:36 AM   #1
Born N raised Mustang Kid

1991 Mustang GT

YancyD is on a distinguished road

Okay guys, the ultimate question... Now this is not going to happen soon, jut reasearching right now. So I have a 1991 Mustang 5.0 once this engine dies I will replace the rebuilt 302 I have in my garage. This 302 is stock engine wise. Now I'm wanting to put twisted wedge heads on and insert the trick flow cam. Intake is still a question, I already have the GT40 upper and lower intake. But the super charger I'm looking at is the Kenne bell Roots supercharger MUSTANG 5.0 (1) this supercharger replaces the upper intake. Turbo wise... Idk where to start. The setup for the new engine with the trick flow stuff and the 3.55 gears I have it should be fine in low torque range so that's where I'm hesitating on the turbo and supercharger. I hate how difficult the turbos are but are they really worth it? I've rode in one before and it is pretty cool but idk... Thoughts?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2014, 02:46 AM   #2
Enthusiast

02 boosted GT, 14 GT

SC46 will become famous soon enough

Turbo seems complicated. But I kinda wish I spent the extra money to boost for more future power that I doubt my v3 can make. I'd say it's worth it, they're more efficient but more prone to boost leak. But they're badass

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old March 28th, 2014, 03:01 AM   #3
4 cam 4 life

1989 LX Coupe
6.1@111mph

NeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of light

Turbo > Super anytime.

They really aren't that bad. Buy a good kit...and itll be worth it.

Tuning is easy too. No different than a roots or centri...just maf, AFR, timing...all the usual stuff. Best part about a turbo car is its NA...till you start getting in it. Supercharger you are always spinning that thing...
Old March 28th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Regular

landonvan is on a distinguished road

What so difficult about a turbo. More power and better on engine and drivetrain. And he's right. It's like the same daily driver you always had until you lay into it. Then just hang on for the ride.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #5
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

gaymaro
12.97 @140mph

flattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
What so difficult about a turbo. More power and better on engine and drivetrain. And he's right. It's like the same daily driver you always had until you lay into it. Then just hang on for the ride.
Who ever engineered the fox body made so everything possible melts with a turbo kit in the bay.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:10 AM   #6
4 cam 4 life

1989 LX Coupe
6.1@111mph

NeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of light

lol. So move whatever needs to be moved away from hot parts. Ceramic coating and wrap helps too.
Old March 28th, 2014, 07:23 AM   #7
Regular

landonvan is on a distinguished road

Ok that part is true. ��
But other than that they are great systems.
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #8
Enthusiast

02 boosted GT, 14 GT

SC46 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by landonvan View Post
Ok that part is true. ��
But other than that they are great systems.

Agreed. They're just a little more complex install wise compared to a centri. But personally I would still turbo. I wish I would have, don't get me wrong I love my centri setup but compared to a turbo setup and wanting more power I shoulda bit the bullet for extra $ and gone turbo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Old March 28th, 2014, 02:58 PM   #9
Enthusiast

1984 Mustang 5.0 L

4eyedfoxdriver is on a distinguished road

If I'm going to the trouble to turbo, I would not use the stock block. There's so much power available, you could split the block in no time.

83 GT : 3.55, TW170 , fms intake ,650dp ,OR H, Mac dumps,
Fordstrokers 347 on order....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.