87 Mustang Door Jam Switch?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 12th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #1

saleenxxx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to saleenxxx Send a message via Yahoo to saleenxxx
Question

87 Mustang Door Jam Switch?

Hello guys and Gals,

Boy do I have a stupid question that has been bugging me! Anyway I have an 87 GT that I just got out of the paint shop and have some electrical problem. The Dome lights are staying on. I've checked the actual courtesy switch and all the door jam switches including the rear hatch and still can't find out what the heck it is!! Its frustrating because I have to remove the fuse in order for the battery not to drain, which leads me into the next question. What is the purpose of the switch on the bottom right attached to the body? If you open the driverside door and look on the bottom right area there is a door jam switch (made entirely of plastic). This switch is pretty beat up and after following the single wire I found that it connects to the seatbelt assembly on the inner quarter panel. Is this right? Please HELP!!
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:49 AM   #2
MM Fanatic

ryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the rough

Yeah that is correct and not your problem. Try unplugging the door jam sensors in the front of the door. One of them may not be working correctly. Also one of them may not be being depressed all the way do to realignment of the doors etc...

I had to put a small washer behind one of mine to get it to depress far enough to shut the light off.
89 LX procharged 302 515 hp 497 ftlbs 10.7 @130 mph - sold it

Old November 12th, 2007, 12:56 AM   #3
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute

The one made completley out of plastic your talking about it for the seat bealt. Notice somtimes when the seat belt locks that you have to open the door to get it do unlock. That is the purpose of the switch
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:02 AM   #4
MM Fanatic

ryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the roughryans88gt is a jewel in the rough

Another possible problem is the light dimming switch has failed in the full on position, which turns on the dome light.

Old November 12th, 2007, 01:03 AM   #5
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute8t6gt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ryans88gt View Post
Another possible problem is the light dimming switch has failed in the full on position, which turns on the dome light.
The headlight switch could be the problem too
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:09 AM   #6

Thanks for the quick reply, ill do more trouble shooting on the actual dimmer switch! Any idea what the SN stands for in SN-95? Just something that was on my mind, I've heard it used so much in describing the 94 and 95 just a thought...
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #7
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

Originally Posted by saleenxxx View Post
Thanks for the quick reply, ill do more trouble shooting on the actual dimmer switch! Any idea what the SN stands for in SN-95? Just something that was on my mind, I've heard it used so much in describing the 94 and 95 just a thought...
i have no idea what it stands for. And wuick replys there is people who are always on. Like me and speedys on alot too. And Whitethunder
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:18 AM   #8

hmmmm...ok thanks again.. Ill keep you posted on the fix. Ill also have to buy this replacement seat belt switch at the dealership, does it go by " Seat Belt Switch"? Or any proper name, part number so they know what the heck im talking about? can't seem to find a part number any ideas can help
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #9
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

hmmmm...ok thanks again.. Ill keep you posted on the fix. Ill also have to buy this replacement seat belt switch at the dealership, does it go by " Seat Belt Switch"? Or any proper name, part number so they know what the heck im talking about? can't seem to find a part number any ideas can help
its not the seat belt switch causing the problem I just told you what the switch was. Thats not your problem DONT BUY ONE. Its most likley the headlight switch

And a headlight switch you can get at advanced auto parts for like 12 bucks start there
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:27 AM   #10
MM Fanatic

headlight switch causing the dome light to stay on??

you mean the dimmer switch right?

Old November 12th, 2007, 01:30 AM   #11

Ohh yeah, I can rest assured that its not the problem just want to replace this switch (seat belt) as well. I am going to fiddle around with the actual headlight dimmer switch and see if this works to solve the dome light issue, im thinking that maybe disconnecting it from the socket can tell me if this works, correct?
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:40 AM   #12
Mustangs optional

1970 Boss 302

headlight switch causing the dome light to stay on??

you mean the dimmer switch right?
Umm mabey.
Old November 12th, 2007, 01:47 AM   #13
Enthusiast

1990 mustang gt
eventually

chickenbot can only hope to improve

did somebody say junkyard?

ps what part of tx?
Trick Flow Track Heat u/l intake
3.55 gears
MSD distributor, Blaster Coil, and 8.5mm wires
Old November 12th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #14
MM Fanatic

Ohh yeah, I can rest assured that its not the problem just want to replace this switch (seat belt) as well. I am going to fiddle around with the actual headlight dimmer switch and see if this works to solve the dome light issue, im thinking that maybe disconnecting it from the socket can tell me if this works, correct?

Yes, the default unplugged operation is off. I'd try the same thing with the courtesy switches too.

Old November 12th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #15

Thumbs up

Yes, the default unplugged operation is off. I'd try the same thing with the courtesy switches too.
Thanks, ill follow up with you all....
Old November 12th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #16

No luck at my local junk yard for the Seat belt switch
Anyone out there have a part number for this switch so i can order it?
The dimmer switch isn't the problem unplugged it still leaves the dome lights on going to try removing the R/S door jam switch this is the only one left plugged..
Old November 12th, 2007, 08:46 PM   #17
MM Fanatic

If it isn't that the only one left is the hatch!

If it still stays lit, just remove the bulb from the dome light and be done with it...

Old November 14th, 2007, 02:43 AM   #18

GOT IT!! Passenger door jam switch was grounding itself on the inside. Kinda weird I took it off and noticed it was plugged but on one wire it was either rubbing or might have melted through the insulation, just taped it, cleaned it off and presto!
I found that switch for the seat belt at another salvage yard. It's non electrical just a thick cable that pulls out the seat belt mechanism, not even worth the trouble of installing just needed that switch to cover the hole. Thanks again for all the help!!
Old November 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM   #19
MM Fanatic

Yeah, I just put some rubber grommets in those holes when I removed my stock seatbelts. Glad you fixed the problem!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 87 Mustang Door Jam Switch?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
65 Mustang Glove Box Door! Please Help! nba1341 Classic Mustangs 11 April 29th, 2011 11:33 PM
Where is the BRAKE LIGHT RELAY SWITCH on a 2000 Mustang???? Mrs_Mustang V6 Mustangs 5 August 15th, 2007 10:46 AM
mustang run wout a neutrual switch? 89Domindart 5.0 Mustangs 21 January 30th, 2007 07:39 PM