Mustang Dyno vs Dyno Jet
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old November 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM   #1
Regular

1989 mustang LX
11.42 @120

BLOWN89 is on a distinguished road

Mustang Dyno vs Dyno Jet

Just wondering if theres any difference in horsepower rating between a mustang dyno and a dyno jet. I have heard that a mustang dyno is better for tuning because you can almost simulate everyday driving rather then the dyno jets wide open throttle only.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 28th, 2007, 06:15 PM   #2
The Razor's Edge

White Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to White Thunder

every dyno is different i will try and look it up

Originally Posted by skuzzy View Post
how do you put someones quote in your sig?
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM   #3
The Razor's Edge

White Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the roughWhite Thunder is a jewel in the rough

from what i get from this there saying that the mustang is more of a real world rwhp number and the dyno jet is more close to your flywheel numbers....im sure someone else will chime in

From what I am told the Mustang dyno gives you a "true" or real world rwhp... i.e. my '00 FRC put down 307 rwhp stock, using 12% drivetrain loss and that is 348 flywheel hp (factory rated 345 hp)...My '02 Z06, on the same Mustang dyno, put down 348 rwhp stock, divide that by 12%, using the same 12% drivetrain loss is 395 fwhp (factory rated at 405 hp)

Again...285 rwhp using 12% drivetrain loss gives 324 fwhp, factory rated 320 hp...If you use the DynoJet hp, then you get the following...315 rwhp with 12% drivetrain loss gives 358 fwhp, factory rated 320 hp...So you see, it sound great to think these engines are putting out this kind of power, but it's just not as realistic of a number as you get with the Mustang Dyno...

Old November 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM   #4
MM Fanatic

1990 LX hatch

JBIGBOOTSY is just really niceJBIGBOOTSY is just really niceJBIGBOOTSY is just really niceJBIGBOOTSY is just really niceJBIGBOOTSY is just really nice

every dyno usually varies some even if they are the same model.

Bolt-on Abraham Lincoln Log motor. With extra wiring.
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM   #5
The Razor's Edge

yeah thats what i heard too

Old November 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #6
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0

Chassis dynos are tuning tools and that is it. You can run your car on any chassis dyno and make simple change like repositioning the car on the rollers or change from slicks to street radials and see a horsepower change.

***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
Old November 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM   #7

1988 Mustang LX Turbo

TurboLX has a spectacular aura aboutTurboLX has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to TurboLX

We have a Dyno Jet at the shop

pretty much different setups, they both measure torque and do the HP caculation automaticlly from the torque curve
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:23 PM   #8
Regular

1992 LX 5.0

Devine is on a distinguished road

to give you an idea on the number differences, the following is taken straight from the C&L Performance website

"We have received a report from a "concerned customer" who informed us that some people believe that the dyno chart at the bottom of this page has incorrect information. Apparently, people on internet web forums somehow believe that we "do not know what we are talking about" due to the fact that we state that a stock 2003-2004 Cobra made "only" 316 rear wheel horsepower on a MUSTANG dyno. Since "everyone knows that these cars make at least 360 rear wheel horsepower stock" and these people must be ignoring the first three charts on the page, we felt it necessary to explain. The first three charts on this page were tested using DYNOJET dynos, which is an inertia style dyno. The SAE corrected numbers that it delivers are what most people use when trying to compare horsepower numbers "on the internet", because it is the most commonly used type of dyno. The chart at the bottom of the page was generated from testing on a MUSTANG dynamometer, which is a load bearing dyno, and these dynos will typically read about 14% lower than the Dynojet numbers that most people are used to seeing.

If you take the baseline value that is mentioned (316) and multiply it by 1.14, you will 'amazingly' come up with a value of 360.24 HP as the "stock" adjusted value. In addition to this, if you take the peak "after" horsepower reading of 372.9 (which was measured with an exhaust upgrade and our air intake assembly) and multiply it by 1.14, you will achieve a value of 425.1 HP. If you look at the second dyno chart on this page, you will find that another vehicle with the similar modifications (exhaust upgrade and our air intake) just so happened to make 426.44 HP on a Dynojet, which is only 1.3 HP off from this adjusted value. Even though the base values are lower when using a Mustang brand dyno, you will notice that the improvement of 22 rear wheel horsepower that was measured when testing our intake assembly was not substantially different than the gains shown in the first two dyno tests on this page. If this doesn't make sense to you, then we strongly suggest that you do not "contribute" to the education of people in your community on the internet message boards. The caption under the last dyno chart explicitly states that this vehicle was tested on a Mustang dyno. We hope that this information will clear any confusion that might have existed in the mind of any internet "experts" who were unaware that different types of dynos exist and that they can actually deliver different horsepower readings."

95mm MAF System for 03-04 Cobra Mustangs
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #9

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

Speedstang302 will become famous soon enoughSpeedstang302 will become famous soon enough

just remove motor and do an engine dyno..then do drivetrain loss math...and voila...
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM   #10

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Devine View Post
to give you an idea on the number differences, the following is taken straight from the C&L Performance website

"We have received a report from a "concerned customer" who informed us that some people believe that the dyno chart at the bottom of this page has incorrect information. Apparently, people on internet web forums somehow believe that we "do not know what we are talking about" due to the fact that we state that a stock 2003-2004 Cobra made "only" 316 rear wheel horsepower on a MUSTANG dyno. Since "everyone knows that these cars make at least 360 rear wheel horsepower stock" and these people must be ignoring the first three charts on the page, we felt it necessary to explain. The first three charts on this page were tested using DYNOJET dynos, which is an inertia style dyno. The SAE corrected numbers that it delivers are what most people use when trying to compare horsepower numbers "on the internet", because it is the most commonly used type of dyno. The chart at the bottom of the page was generated from testing on a MUSTANG dynamometer, which is a load bearing dyno, and these dynos will typically read about 14% lower than the Dynojet numbers that most people are used to seeing.

If you take the baseline value that is mentioned (316) and multiply it by 1.14, you will 'amazingly' come up with a value of 360.24 HP as the "stock" adjusted value. In addition to this, if you take the peak "after" horsepower reading of 372.9 (which was measured with an exhaust upgrade and our air intake assembly) and multiply it by 1.14, you will achieve a value of 425.1 HP. If you look at the second dyno chart on this page, you will find that another vehicle with the similar modifications (exhaust upgrade and our air intake) just so happened to make 426.44 HP on a Dynojet, which is only 1.3 HP off from this adjusted value. Even though the base values are lower when using a Mustang brand dyno, you will notice that the improvement of 22 rear wheel horsepower that was measured when testing our intake assembly was not substantially different than the gains shown in the first two dyno tests on this page. If this doesn't make sense to you, then we strongly suggest that you do not "contribute" to the education of people in your community on the internet message boards. The caption under the last dyno chart explicitly states that this vehicle was tested on a Mustang dyno. We hope that this information will clear any confusion that might have existed in the mind of any internet "experts" who were unaware that different types of dynos exist and that they can actually deliver different horsepower readings."

95mm MAF System for 03-04 Cobra Mustangs

Its about time one of these companies goes off on all of the internet experts out there.

Old November 29th, 2007, 05:01 PM   #11
Regular

1989 mustang LX
11.42 @120

Thanks Devine you answered my question perfectly. I put down 389hp on a mustang dyno and a guy at my work put down 460hp on a dyno jet and he keeps saying how much more power he has then me, but according to this info were prety close to even on power.
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM   #12

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

Originally Posted by BLOWN89 View Post
Thanks Devine you answered my question perfectly. I put down 389hp on a mustang dyno and a guy at my work put down 460hp on a dyno jet and he keeps saying how much more power he has then me, but according to this info were prety close to even on power.
Tell him to meet you at the track. We race cars, not dynos.

Old November 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM   #13
Regular

1989 mustang LX
11.42 @120

Well are track is closed down for the winter so I have been trying to get him to meet up and race but every time I call out he seems to never show I thought those 03-04 cobra guys werent suppose to be scared of anything.
Old November 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

88mm

Goblin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Goblin Send a message via Yahoo to Goblin

Well are track is closed down for the winter so I have been trying to get him to meet up and race but every time I call out he seems to never show I thought those 03-04 cobra guys werent suppose to be scared of anything.
03-04 cobra owners have alot to fear out there. They just dont know it.
Old November 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #15
The Razor's Edge

1989 mustang LX
12.00 @120.70

if thats your time i think you will beat him

depends on how well he drives i guess...

Old November 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

88mm

Goblin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Goblin Send a message via Yahoo to Goblin

Originally Posted by White Thunder View Post
1989 mustang LX
12.00 @120.70

if thats your time i think you will beat him

depends on how well he drives i guess...
450rwhp in an 03 cobra at a conservative 3700lbs, with stock IRS, 3.55 gear, and a SEMI okay driver is mid 12s on DRs @3000ft alt. Ask me how i know.. If hes going 12ohs at 120.. he doesnt need to worry if the cobra is making similar power. 03-04s are tanks compared to foxes.
Old December 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM   #17

2007 Outlaw Mustang GT
13.813 @ 103.86

07OUTLAW is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Tell him to meet you at the track. We race cars, not dynos.
this is great. I'm blown89's brother in law so I have been in on this BSing ring so I'm so glad to hear this quote. Old boy with the cobra needs to put on his big boy pants and take the beating he has coming to him.
Old December 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM   #18

Blown5.0 is on a distinguished road

Call his ass out then, Race each other.
1.70 0-60ft 11.20 @124
Old December 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM   #19

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

Speedstang302 will become famous soon enoughSpeedstang302 will become famous soon enough

naked fist fight...that always solves it...

make sure you're drunk...evens out everything...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Mustang Dyno vs Dyno Jet
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mustang dyno 00GT 99 - 04 25 August 31st, 2007 09:12 AM
Dyno Jet vs Mustang dyno bransdaman78 General Tech 6 April 2nd, 2007 05:23 PM
2001 Mustang GT Dyno..... HELP bnicholl Modular Mustangs 10 February 15th, 2007 10:31 PM
Mustang Dyno Global Dyno Day! BadMoFo Southeast 1 September 20th, 2006 04:09 PM
Mustang Pegging Out Dyno AtlanticBlue99 Videos 4 September 7th, 2006 11:03 PM