Mustang Dyno vs Dyno Jet - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
BLOWN89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 139
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Mustang Dyno vs Dyno Jet

Just wondering if theres any difference in horsepower rating between a mustang dyno and a dyno jet. I have heard that a mustang dyno is better for tuning because you can almost simulate everyday driving rather then the dyno jets wide open throttle only.
BLOWN89 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 06:15 PM
The Razor's Edge
 
White Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: roanoke va
Posts: 4,396
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to White Thunder
every dyno is different i will try and look it up

founder of the FTN Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzy View Post
how do you put someones quote in your sig?
White Thunder is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 06:19 PM
The Razor's Edge
 
White Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: roanoke va
Posts: 4,396
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to White Thunder
from what i get from this there saying that the mustang is more of a real world rwhp number and the dyno jet is more close to your flywheel numbers....im sure someone else will chime in

From what I am told the Mustang dyno gives you a "true" or real world rwhp... i.e. my '00 FRC put down 307 rwhp stock, using 12% drivetrain loss and that is 348 flywheel hp (factory rated 345 hp)...My '02 Z06, on the same Mustang dyno, put down 348 rwhp stock, divide that by 12%, using the same 12% drivetrain loss is 395 fwhp (factory rated at 405 hp)


Again...285 rwhp using 12% drivetrain loss gives 324 fwhp, factory rated 320 hp...If you use the DynoJet hp, then you get the following...315 rwhp with 12% drivetrain loss gives 358 fwhp, factory rated 320 hp...So you see, it sound great to think these engines are putting out this kind of power, but it's just not as realistic of a number as you get with the Mustang Dyno...

founder of the FTN Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzy View Post
how do you put someones quote in your sig?
White Thunder is offline  
post #4 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM
MM Fanatic
 
JBIGBOOTSY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hobart Indiana
Posts: 4,422
         
iTrader: 0 reviews
every dyno usually varies some even if they are the same model.


Bolt-on Abraham Lincoln Log motor. With extra wiring.
JBIGBOOTSY is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 06:27 PM
The Razor's Edge
 
White Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: roanoke va
Posts: 4,396
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to White Thunder
yeah thats what i heard too

founder of the FTN Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzy View Post
how do you put someones quote in your sig?
White Thunder is offline  
post #6 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
1slo5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Posts: 11,367
           
iTrader: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0
Chassis dynos are tuning tools and that is it. You can run your car on any chassis dyno and make simple change like repositioning the car on the rollers or change from slicks to street radials and see a horsepower change.

My daily driver has 16 cylinders and 4400hp @ 1000 rpm....


***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
1slo5.0 is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 07:20 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
TurboLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 8,781
Blog Entries: 1
   
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to TurboLX
We have a Dyno Jet at the shop

pretty much different setups, they both measure torque and do the HP caculation automaticlly from the torque curve

1988 LX Coupe 2.5L, GT35R, 44mm WG, 32psi, C16.
TurboLX is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 334
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
to give you an idea on the number differences, the following is taken straight from the C&L Performance website

"We have received a report from a "concerned customer" who informed us that some people believe that the dyno chart at the bottom of this page has incorrect information. Apparently, people on internet web forums somehow believe that we "do not know what we are talking about" due to the fact that we state that a stock 2003-2004 Cobra made "only" 316 rear wheel horsepower on a MUSTANG dyno. Since "everyone knows that these cars make at least 360 rear wheel horsepower stock" and these people must be ignoring the first three charts on the page, we felt it necessary to explain. The first three charts on this page were tested using DYNOJET dynos, which is an inertia style dyno. The SAE corrected numbers that it delivers are what most people use when trying to compare horsepower numbers "on the internet", because it is the most commonly used type of dyno. The chart at the bottom of the page was generated from testing on a MUSTANG dynamometer, which is a load bearing dyno, and these dynos will typically read about 14% lower than the Dynojet numbers that most people are used to seeing.

If you take the baseline value that is mentioned (316) and multiply it by 1.14, you will 'amazingly' come up with a value of 360.24 HP as the "stock" adjusted value. In addition to this, if you take the peak "after" horsepower reading of 372.9 (which was measured with an exhaust upgrade and our air intake assembly) and multiply it by 1.14, you will achieve a value of 425.1 HP. If you look at the second dyno chart on this page, you will find that another vehicle with the similar modifications (exhaust upgrade and our air intake) just so happened to make 426.44 HP on a Dynojet, which is only 1.3 HP off from this adjusted value. Even though the base values are lower when using a Mustang brand dyno, you will notice that the improvement of 22 rear wheel horsepower that was measured when testing our intake assembly was not substantially different than the gains shown in the first two dyno tests on this page. If this doesn't make sense to you, then we strongly suggest that you do not "contribute" to the education of people in your community on the internet message boards. The caption under the last dyno chart explicitly states that this vehicle was tested on a Mustang dyno. We hope that this information will clear any confusion that might have existed in the mind of any internet "experts" who were unaware that different types of dynos exist and that they can actually deliver different horsepower readings."

95mm MAF System for 03-04 Cobra Mustangs
Devine is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Massachusetss
Posts: 6,000
   
iTrader: 1 reviews
just remove motor and do an engine dyno..then do drivetrain loss math...and voila...

2004 40th Anni Redfire GT- Cold air, Magnapack Catback, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Mach 1 Grille Delete, Cobra Mirrors, 18x9/10 Chrome Saleens
Speedstang302 is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old November 28th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
1slo5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Posts: 11,367
           
iTrader: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devine View Post
to give you an idea on the number differences, the following is taken straight from the C&L Performance website

"We have received a report from a "concerned customer" who informed us that some people believe that the dyno chart at the bottom of this page has incorrect information. Apparently, people on internet web forums somehow believe that we "do not know what we are talking about" due to the fact that we state that a stock 2003-2004 Cobra made "only" 316 rear wheel horsepower on a MUSTANG dyno. Since "everyone knows that these cars make at least 360 rear wheel horsepower stock" and these people must be ignoring the first three charts on the page, we felt it necessary to explain. The first three charts on this page were tested using DYNOJET dynos, which is an inertia style dyno. The SAE corrected numbers that it delivers are what most people use when trying to compare horsepower numbers "on the internet", because it is the most commonly used type of dyno. The chart at the bottom of the page was generated from testing on a MUSTANG dynamometer, which is a load bearing dyno, and these dynos will typically read about 14% lower than the Dynojet numbers that most people are used to seeing.

If you take the baseline value that is mentioned (316) and multiply it by 1.14, you will 'amazingly' come up with a value of 360.24 HP as the "stock" adjusted value. In addition to this, if you take the peak "after" horsepower reading of 372.9 (which was measured with an exhaust upgrade and our air intake assembly) and multiply it by 1.14, you will achieve a value of 425.1 HP. If you look at the second dyno chart on this page, you will find that another vehicle with the similar modifications (exhaust upgrade and our air intake) just so happened to make 426.44 HP on a Dynojet, which is only 1.3 HP off from this adjusted value. Even though the base values are lower when using a Mustang brand dyno, you will notice that the improvement of 22 rear wheel horsepower that was measured when testing our intake assembly was not substantially different than the gains shown in the first two dyno tests on this page. If this doesn't make sense to you, then we strongly suggest that you do not "contribute" to the education of people in your community on the internet message boards. The caption under the last dyno chart explicitly states that this vehicle was tested on a Mustang dyno. We hope that this information will clear any confusion that might have existed in the mind of any internet "experts" who were unaware that different types of dynos exist and that they can actually deliver different horsepower readings."

95mm MAF System for 03-04 Cobra Mustangs

Its about time one of these companies goes off on all of the internet experts out there.

My daily driver has 16 cylinders and 4400hp @ 1000 rpm....


***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
1slo5.0 is offline  
post #11 of 19 Old November 29th, 2007, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
BLOWN89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 139
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Thanks Devine you answered my question perfectly. I put down 389hp on a mustang dyno and a guy at my work put down 460hp on a dyno jet and he keeps saying how much more power he has then me, but according to this info were prety close to even on power.

89 hatch.....4,000 dollars..vortech supercharger kit.....3,800 dollars...built 306 windsor motor.....3,000 dollars beating a 75,000 dollar z06 corvette....PRICELESS UNTIL I SOLD THE CAR
BLOWN89 is offline  
post #12 of 19 Old November 30th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
1slo5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: North Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Posts: 11,367
           
iTrader: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN89 View Post
Thanks Devine you answered my question perfectly. I put down 389hp on a mustang dyno and a guy at my work put down 460hp on a dyno jet and he keeps saying how much more power he has then me, but according to this info were prety close to even on power.
Tell him to meet you at the track. We race cars, not dynos.

My daily driver has 16 cylinders and 4400hp @ 1000 rpm....


***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
1slo5.0 is offline  
post #13 of 19 Old November 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular
 
BLOWN89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 139
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Well are track is closed down for the winter so I have been trying to get him to meet up and race but every time I call out he seems to never show I thought those 03-04 cobra guys werent suppose to be scared of anything.

89 hatch.....4,000 dollars..vortech supercharger kit.....3,800 dollars...built 306 windsor motor.....3,000 dollars beating a 75,000 dollar z06 corvette....PRICELESS UNTIL I SOLD THE CAR
BLOWN89 is offline  
post #14 of 19 Old November 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,111
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Goblin Send a message via Yahoo to Goblin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN89 View Post
Well are track is closed down for the winter so I have been trying to get him to meet up and race but every time I call out he seems to never show I thought those 03-04 cobra guys werent suppose to be scared of anything.
03-04 cobra owners have alot to fear out there. They just dont know it.

Goblin is offline  
post #15 of 19 Old November 30th, 2007, 01:27 PM
The Razor's Edge
 
White Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: roanoke va
Posts: 4,396
       
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to White Thunder
1989 mustang LX
12.00 @120.70

if thats your time i think you will beat him

depends on how well he drives i guess...

founder of the FTN Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuzzy View Post
how do you put someones quote in your sig?
White Thunder is offline  
post #16 of 19 Old November 30th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
Goblin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,111
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Goblin Send a message via Yahoo to Goblin
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Thunder View Post
1989 mustang LX
12.00 @120.70

if thats your time i think you will beat him

depends on how well he drives i guess...
450rwhp in an 03 cobra at a conservative 3700lbs, with stock IRS, 3.55 gear, and a SEMI okay driver is mid 12s on DRs @3000ft alt. Ask me how i know.. If hes going 12ohs at 120.. he doesnt need to worry if the cobra is making similar power. 03-04s are tanks compared to foxes.

Goblin is offline  
post #17 of 19 Old December 1st, 2007, 12:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 30
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
Tell him to meet you at the track. We race cars, not dynos.
this is great. I'm blown89's brother in law so I have been in on this BSing ring so I'm so glad to hear this quote. Old boy with the cobra needs to put on his big boy pants and take the beating he has coming to him.
07OUTLAW is offline  
post #18 of 19 Old December 1st, 2007, 03:13 AM
Newbie
 
Blown5.0's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Oregon
Posts: 39
 
iTrader: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOWN89 View Post
Thanks Devine you answered my question perfectly. I put down 389hp on a mustang dyno and a guy at my work put down 460hp on a dyno jet and he keeps saying how much more power he has then me, but according to this info were prety close to even on power.
Call his ass out then, Race each other.

89 Mustang lx 5.0
11.5 Compression
Edlebrock 150 dry kit
1.70 0-60ft 11.20 @124
Blown5.0 is offline  
post #19 of 19 Old December 1st, 2007, 10:34 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Massachusetss
Posts: 6,000
   
iTrader: 1 reviews
naked fist fight...that always solves it...


make sure you're drunk...evens out everything...

2004 40th Anni Redfire GT- Cold air, Magnapack Catback, Mach 1 Chin Spoiler, Mach 1 Grille Delete, Cobra Mirrors, 18x9/10 Chrome Saleens
Speedstang302 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome