PRW Roller Rockers Any Good?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (3) Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2007, 02:40 PM   3 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Enthusiast

1987 Mustang GT

jam77 is on a distinguished road

PRW Roller Rockers Any Good?

Just curious what you guys think about the prw rocker arms, I picked up a set for my motor for 109.00 brand new in the box. Everywhere I look they are almost 200.00 so i couldn't pass them up. Im just going to be using the springs that came with my tfs heads ( double spring) . The cam I have is the Anderson B-31 so nothing too crazy.
87 GT, typhoon upper and lower,70mm tb, 90mm maf, bbk shorties, bbk x-pipe, flowmaster cat back, 3:73 gear, pro 5.0 shifter, novi blower,afm power pipe, load IO, Trick Flow heads, Anderson B-31 cam, Anderson PMS, 42 lb injectors, t-rex fuel pump.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:17 PM   #2
Hardcore Enthusiast

88mm

Goblin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Goblin Send a message via Yahoo to Goblin

Ive never heard anything bad about PRW. Then again, ive never heard anything negative about any aftermarket rocker manufacturer.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 03:52 PM   #3
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

Speedstang302 will become famous soon enoughSpeedstang302 will become famous soon enough

you obviously have never used proform or any of those eBay rocker arms...rocker arms arent something you spare cheap on just like that cam choice..i wouldnt have used anything besides harland sharp, crane, comp or even FRPP and jesel and a few other two..but no basic or cheap shit like that
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM   #4
Enthusiast

1987 Mustang GT

The only reason i knew the brand was because they were used in a build up in a 5.0 magazine and they made some pretty sweet horsepower at anderson using these if i remember right 506 at the rear wheels with a s trim. Anderson sells the same rocker for 200.00 so i thought they might be decent
87 GT, typhoon upper and lower,70mm tb, 90mm maf, bbk shorties, bbk x-pipe, flowmaster cat back, 3:73 gear, pro 5.0 shifter, novi blower,afm power pipe, load IO, Trick Flow heads, Anderson B-31 cam, Anderson PMS, 42 lb injectors, t-rex fuel pump.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:36 PM   #5
Enthusiast

woody1 is on a distinguished road

magazines number 1 priority is to sell parts, period. 99% of those magazine tests are a total joke and extremely biased, with being said, the down side is if the needle bearings come apart, then your in for a world of hurt. Seen it happen a few times with the chinese rockers and shaft rockers.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Enthusiast

1987 Mustang GT

I guess i will sell these on e-bay then buy a set of cranes or something
Old December 3rd, 2007, 05:50 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

88mm

Goblin will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Goblin Send a message via Yahoo to Goblin

Originally Posted by Speedstang302 View Post
you obviously have never used proform or any of those eBay rocker arms...rocker arms arent something you spare cheap on just like that cam choice..i wouldnt have used anything besides harland sharp, crane, comp or even FRPP and jesel and a few other two..but no basic or cheap shit like that
Show me a proform roller rocker that has failed because its construction was flawed. Infact, show me any aftermarket rocker that has failed because of its design. Im sure there are some out there, simply because everything has a point where its not perfect.. but how many times do you hear about them failing because they're machined poorly? Thats bullshit. I suppose Scorpions are junk, because you can get them on ebay, right? Ive seen "cheap" components, actually run and operate REALLY well, for extended periods of time. Infact, ive never seen a rocker fail, because it was a "POS". Proper assembly, maintence and adaquete oil pressure plays a big part aswell.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #8
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
Show me a proform roller rocker that has failed because its construction was flawed. Infact, show me any aftermarket rocker that has failed because of its design. Im sure there are some out there, simply because everything has a point where its not perfect.. but how many times do you hear about them failing because they're machined poorly? Thats bullshit. I suppose Scorpions are junk, because you can get them on ebay, right? Ive seen "cheap" components, actually run and operate REALLY well, for extended periods of time. Infact, ive never seen a rocker fail, because it was a "POS". Proper assembly, maintence and adaquete oil pressure plays a big part aswell.
Then dont look at a comp stainless that doesn't have a cup for the pushrod, we have had pushrods weld themselves in the rocker arm because of this very problem.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM   #9
Enthusiast

1987 Mustang GT

I really dont think Anderson would sell those rockers if they were crap. Ive been really impressed with their products so far.
Old December 3rd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #10

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

Speedstang302 will become famous soon enoughSpeedstang302 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Goblin View Post
theres obviously something up if you can get aluminum pedastal mount roller rockers for under $150...

and jam...harland sharp has been around the longest...so $219 to me was well worth it...i thin cranes (not gold) are like $179
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #11
Hardcore Enthusiast

78mach1 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 78mach1

Originally Posted by Speedstang302 View Post
theres obviously something up if you can get aluminum pedastal mount roller rockers for under $150...

and jam...harland sharp has been around the longest...so $219 to me was well worth it...i thin cranes (not gold) are like $179
im not trying to jump in a fight or nuffin but i am running 1:7 pedestal mounts for $150 bucks............lol

ive got 5,000 miles on them so far, but when i first did the break in i took off the valve covers to take a look at them cause i thought maybe they were cheap for a reason, but they are perfectly fine, no problems yet

ill let you know in the future

and to tell you the truth i have held them next to harland sharp and scorpions, and they are the exact same looking, even tho you can be sure just by looks
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:56 PM   #12
Enthusiast

looks aside, its the bearing that counts and the accuracy of the body, nothing more nothing less. For guys that are not looking for the utmost accuracy, the knockoffs are fine if you feel the need to risk a possible disaster to save a few dollars on valvetrain. On the flipside guys will buy the knockoff rockers and other items but buy other total nonsensical items for retarded amounts of money.
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #13
Enthusiast

1987 Mustang GT

Thats the thing these rockers are normally around 200.00 everywhere you look, so in price they are comparable to cranes, scorpions and a few others. I was just stating the price I paid.
Old December 4th, 2007, 03:34 PM   #14

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

are the just the roller tip??
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:19 PM   #15
Enthusiast

1987 Mustang GT

no
Old December 5th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #16
Regular

tmoss is on a distinguished road

if you do a search on "Proform" on all the major boards you will see pics of failed units - they crack in half at the trunion bearing race.
88 GT Vert 5spd, 3:73 gears, Explorer intake/65mm TB, Explorer Ps, Manley race 1.85/1.55 valves, 1.7/1.6 stud rockers, stock cam +4 degrees, MAC Jet-Hot coated shorties. 277RWHP/330RWTQ www.fastlanecars.com http://tmossporting.0catch.com/
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:32 PM   #17

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

see proof
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:25 PM   #18

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0

Cheap and reliable don't go together. If you are going to skimp on something, don't skimp on a part that has the potential to fail and destroy other parts in the process. Skimp on something like an intake manifold instead. All of these cheap rocker arms have a failure history and like Tom said a simple google search will show you the facts. Even the low end Crane Engergizer rocker arms fail. I learned this when I tried to run them with 660lb springs. They don't like anything over .600 lift either as I found out when they starte breaking studs off because they didn't have enough travel.

***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM   #19
Enthusiast

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DxROQtv7o2A&feature=related
Old December 5th, 2007, 08:37 PM   #20

2004 Redfire GT
14.23@100.83

thats cool...takes the drag racer and engine builder to say what i've said...for someone to listen...you might as well buy pre-bent pushrods...cuz you're gunna have plenty of those..PRW i've seen arent much better than proform...and anything close to proform...well isnt long for this life...like darrel said dont go cheap on you're valvetrain...stupid thing to do...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/45019-prw-roller-rockers-any-good.html
Posted By For Type Date
The AMC Forum - prw rockers This thread Refback August 30th, 2010 12:42 PM
The AMC Forum - prw rockers This thread Refback August 28th, 2010 12:11 PM
The AMC Forum - prw rockers This thread Refback August 26th, 2010 04:02 PM

Threads Similar to: PRW Roller Rockers Any Good?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
roller rockers? superman5.0 5.0 Mustangs 7 July 26th, 2007 11:51 PM
Roller rockers? aj28 V6 Mustangs 7 July 15th, 2007 08:17 PM
Lifters and roller rockers? MySallyMI 99 - 04 6 April 16th, 2007 06:30 AM
new roller rockers 03stanger 5.0 Mustangs 51 March 19th, 2007 10:50 PM
Roller Tip Rockers vs Stock? mikebert 5.0 Mustangs 2 October 30th, 2006 09:14 AM