Modded Mustang Forums banner

Which Carb?

2K views 40 replies 9 participants last post by  Goblin 
#1 ·
im looking to purchase a new carb in the near future, but im not sure which type to get.... on an 85 gt do i need a manual or electric choke carb?

#3 ·
electric choke is easier to use on the street and a manual choke is like a damn lawn mower or leaf blower...you have to adjust it to start5, adj to idle and adj to drive..

#7 ·
no...wrong...cuz an edelbrock intake matched with a holley carb is a very very typical set-up...the edelbrock carbs are easy to adj, some say are more like EFI, but w/e...and arent good HP carbs...if you can even adj a carb..do holley...

#9 ·
BG mighty demon or holley 4150 are the favorites of people that like HP

#12 ·
try finding whats mods he has done besides that edelbrock intake before you suggest cfm's...cuz for all you know it could be a 351 stroker w/ ported alumuinum heads and .700" lift cam? and 600cfm still suitable?

#22 ·
Yeah, I'd pass on the street avenger and go right for the 4150.

#23 ·
#29 ·
what im looking for in a new carb is this: ease of use and reliability, i would love to do a lot of work to my car, but because of school right now its just not an option. therefore i am leaning a little more toward the edelbrock..... if oneday i do take this car to the next lvl: ie: bigger cam, heads then i will go after a carb that will offer more performance, but for now i think it suites me better for the edelbrock.

#32 ·
a holley can be just as reliable, but a edlbrock cant make the performance of a holley

ryans right ive never seen a car run good or have good throttle responce with a edlbrock

people think they are good cause they just got a "4 barrel" and got rid of there quadra jet, and now all the sudden there car runs a little better

#34 ·
i wouldnt do the damn street avengers they're kinda like the edelbrocks..they're reliable and easy..but arent very HP worth...i'd be fine to tell you the good ol' holley 650cfm double pumper ftw...that technology is great and used it on MANY applications and love em..not best for daily driver..so a electric choke, vaccum secondaries carb is you're best bet then

#36 ·
I Really never said that you can't get an Edelbrock carb to work well, I just said that I Really never saw one. I'm sure there are people out there that love them and I'm not one to Really give **** about brand loyalty.

But, have you Really seen what the A/F graph Really looks like from one of these out of the box? Like a Really wet noodle floppin around from Really rich to Really lean to rich to lean again. Good luck Really tuning that mess. Sure they work, but I wouldn't Really say "well"

Sure they are Really cheap, but there is a Really good reason why they are cheap. If they were Really as good as a holley, they would have Really taken over the market years ago, since they are Really about half the price.

Really...

#37 ·
HAHA, no but seriously, Really?

Im not picking on you dude, and im not loyal to edelbrock just so you know, ive just seen some solid running engines using them. Some of which i had. Yeah, ive seen the A/F curves with edelbrocks, they're not THAT bad, ive seen worse. Holleys are no jem out of the box either, well.. some are, but thats beside the point. Damn you Ryan. Damn you!! :eek:

Why you always gotta make sense?

#38 ·
really?

yeah holley's arent perfect outta the box...but i still say stay away from carbs if you have no idea how to work them...cuz with tuning the holley is a very good carburator..i havent used all holley models, but havent seen any major problems that couldnt be tuned outta them...yet i have seen ALOT of problems with edelbrocks...and friend just got a demon 650 and found like 3lbs worth or metal shaving in it :lol

#40 ·
kick her in the nuts udge...i'd have to agree...used there cam on a previous GM build and sucked ass...but i can say i used edelbrock performer rpm heads and made decent pwr on a 306 carb'd (holley...duh) motor...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.