Driver door lock is stuck. Can't open door Help!!!!
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (2) Thread Tools
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:52 AM   2 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Enthusiast

White 89 is loose again, somebody get the straightjacket

Driver door lock is stuck. Can't open door Help!!!!

I got home yesterday and wanted to drive my mustang. I go to unlock the door with the key and I couldn't turn the key to unlock it. I tried and tried I even thought I was using the wrong key. So I go to the passenger door and unlock it just fine. The lock and unlock button works on both doors only it locks and unlocks the passenger side door only. The Driver door lock is stuck or something. I can't drive my car like this. I don't feel like climbing over seats to get in.

How can I fix this. Can I take the door panel off with the door closed.
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #2
Regular

89 Mustang LX
7.90@90mph 8th

jrh_1980 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Door help!!

you are going to have to open the door to work on it. it should open from the inside. pulling the handle overides the locking mechanism from inside. However you may want to make sure that you havent pushed the lock button down and got it in a bind. another thing, are you sure that it is locked?? or could your outer handle be broke. Fords are notorious for breaking but they are really easy to replace.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old February 27th, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ

2003 F-150 Lariat
FX4 Supercab

Squints has a spectacular aura aboutSquints has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Squints

Originally Posted by White 89 View Post
I got home yesterday and wanted to drive my mustang. I go to unlock the door with the key and I couldn't turn the key to unlock it. I tried and tried I even thought I was using the wrong key. So I go to the passenger door and unlock it just fine. The lock and unlock button works on both doors only it locks and unlocks the passenger side door only. The Driver door lock is stuck or something. I can't drive my car like this. I don't feel like climbing over seats to get in.

How can I fix this. Can I take the door panel off with the door closed.
you won't be able to get to all of the screw in the door with it closed.

does it turn a little, or not at all? if it turns a little then it's probably not the lock. get in from the other side and pull the handle to pop the lock up. if it doesn't pop up, the actuator has more than likely siezed up. i've seen it happen before in a ford f-150. not a big issue, just had to replace the actuator.

other than that,, the doorlock assembly coming lose inside the door, or something wedged in there (how that would happen is beyond me) i wouldn't have a clue.

i'd guess it's the actuator though.

atleast you didn't get what i got one day goin when i went out to my truck to leave for work. my room mate thought it would be funny to super-glue pennies over my locks. it was kinda funny. kinda.

Last edited by Squints; February 27th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old February 27th, 2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by stangless_B View Post
you won't be able to get to all of the screw in the door with it closed.

does it turn a little, or not at all? if it turns a little then it's probably not the lock. get in from the other side and pull the handle to pop the lock up. if it doesn't pop up, the actuator has more than likely siezed up. i've seen it happen before in a ford f-150. not a big issue, just had to replace the actuator.

other than that,, the doorlock assembly coming lose inside the door, or something wedged in there (how that would happen is beyond me) i wouldn't have a clue.

i'd guess it's the actuator though.

atleast you didn't get what i got one day goin when i went out to my truck to leave for work. my room mate thought it would be funny to super-glue pennies over my locks. it was kinda funny. kinda.

I got inside the car from the passenger side and tried opening the door from the inside by pulling the handle and it didn't open. I pulled even harder but then stoped. I didn't want to break the door handle on the inside.

When you unlock the doors from the inside using the button the driver door lock acts like it wants to come up because it moves just doesn't come up. Something must be messed up behind that door panel.
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

1990 Mustang GT
havent gone since gears

Iwannagofast will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Iwannagofast

can u grab it with pliers or something to pull it up maybe
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:46 PM   #6
Enthusiast

I don't know I'll try again when I get home. Why did they have to make the lock knob so short. You can't even get a grip on the thing.
Old February 27th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #7
Hardcore Enthusiast

1990 Mustang GT
havent gone since gears

Iwannagofast will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Iwannagofast

i might be possible to get the door panel off with the door being open but that would be really hard to do
Old February 27th, 2008, 02:29 PM   #8
Regular

89 Mustang LX
7.90@90mph 8th

jrh_1980 is on a distinguished road

If all else fails use a big ******* Hammer. even if it doesn't work it makes you feel better.
You might want to try pulling the inner door handle while hitting the lock button to see if you can feel something not catching
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #9
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ

2003 F-150 Lariat
FX4 Supercab

Squints has a spectacular aura aboutSquints has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Squints

Originally Posted by jrh_1980 View Post
If all else fails use a big ******* Hammer. even if it doesn't work it makes you feel better.
big ******* hammer sounds good to me.

like someone else said, see if you can grab the knob with a pair of needlenose or something.

also, do mustangs have that little thing on the inside of the door jam that holds the lock assembly in place, like the ford trucks do?
i don't think they do, but if there is one, you can remove it and the lock assembly pops right out of the outside of the door. easy way to f*** up the paint on your doors though.

Last edited by Squints; February 27th, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old February 28th, 2008, 11:47 AM   #10
MM Fanatic

ujslost has a spectacular aura aboutujslost has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to ujslost

sounds like a door lock accuator has given up on ya. but usually you can still open the door from the inside.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:17 PM   #11

czwaschka is on a distinguished road

stuck door lock

white 89, were you ever able to figure out what was wrong with your door lock? i've got a '93 F150 that is having the same issue. i replaced the door latch cable not too long ago. i locked it for the first time since doing that and now i can't get that door open.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:41 PM   #12
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

Originally Posted by czwaschka View Post
white 89, were you ever able to figure out what was wrong with your door lock? i've got a '93 F150 that is having the same issue. i replaced the door latch cable not too long ago. i locked it for the first time since doing that and now i can't get that door open.
Are you stuck inside it right now?
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Regular

91' 5.0 LX

ironsteed5.0 is on a distinguished road

The lock/unlock solenoid in the door jams up sometimes, you just have to mess with it until it frees up. Mine does it sometimes too.
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #14
Banned

1992 Lx
11.39@119.24

93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of93hatch has much to be proud of

He's been stuck in there since 2008
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #15
Regular

91' 5.0 LX

ironsteed5.0 is on a distinguished road

He must have had a lot of canned food and shit paper to last this long.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:26 PM   #16
!oznog.rd

1988 GT VERT (Sold :(
'Cause gonzo's got a... GRRRREAT ASS!

dr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond repute

My door will only unlock from the outside if I have the key inserted one way. So I had to make a mental note that when I go to plug it in that my ignition key is to the right of the door key, if its upside down it will not work and the ignition key will be in the left.
Old September 28th, 2010, 02:13 AM   #17

1988 mustang 2.3L

tom_vilsack is on a distinguished road

as my own post goes...anyone?

mine wont open from inside ,outside

tryed stick down inside to see if i could push on rods...tryed pulling door knob...basically everything...

if as other have said,if it's the actuator..thats fine,but how do i access that if i cant open door to get door panel off???

im lost...
Old September 28th, 2010, 04:37 AM   #18
meh

========

Notcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to beholdNotcho is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to Notcho

I haven't removed my door panels in a while... but as far as I can recall, the only things holding it in are:

2 bolts in the arm rest behind the round plugs, two screws on each end of the arm rest, some on the speaker grille, and the triangular mirror plates. After that, roll the window down, and you should be able to slide the panel up. The bottom of the panel is held on with those push-in plastic pins, which should pull away from the door easy enough. Of course if you have manual hand-crank windows, you will have to take those handles off as well.

Once you get the panel off, the lock actuator is at the end of the door near the B-pillar. You should be able to remove it from its mount by sticking your hand through the hole in the door (you may have to pull back the plastic moisture barrier) and pulling the actuator DOWN. Then you have to unhook the linkage.

I have manual windows and manual locks on my fox. I could put everything electric (all the stuff is in my donor car) but I'm going to leave it all manual for this reason. Less crap to break, and the car won't lock me out.

'87 2.3 Notch with +4 cylinder mod

Gas, Grass, or Ass.. nobody rides for free
Black Stang Crew Member #11

Old September 28th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #19

czwaschka is on a distinguished road

allow me to elaborate on my problem. i cannot unlock the door using the key from the outside, i cannot unlock the door using the power unlock switch on the inside, i cannot unlock the door by pulling on the door handle from the inside... i've pulled the door pannel back and had a look (can't fully remove it because the dash is in the way)... i've pushed on the rod that goes down from the keyed lock and it won't move any further down... i've pulled up on the inside lock with a plier... the actuator will pull the lock back down and it will still try to push the lock back up.
Old September 28th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #20
!oznog.rd

1988 GT VERT (Sold :(
'Cause gonzo's got a... GRRRREAT ASS!

dr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond reputedr.gonzo! has a reputation beyond repute

You might be able to pop it open with a slim jim and then clean, inspect all the moving parts. If you still cant pop it open, pull out the door panel like you did before and go ape shit with some solvent.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/57788-driver-door-lock-stuck-cant-open-door-help.html
Posted By For Type Date
How To Fix My Car Door That Cannot Be Opened From Inside? | Ask Help Box This thread Refback August 19th, 2014 08:53 AM
How to take off car door panel if door can not open ? - www.car-limos.com This thread Refback December 14th, 2010 05:58 AM

Threads Similar to: Driver door lock is stuck. Can't open door Help!!!!
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Door Lock Actuators Z28Eater 2.3 Mustangs 4 January 2nd, 2008 02:16 PM
my door lock, grrrrrrrr...... 93fourbangerstanger 2.3 Mustangs 90 November 13th, 2007 03:59 PM
Door lock motors jblood37 99 - 04 10 April 21st, 2007 09:41 PM