1990 GT Running Rough - Forums at Modded Mustangs
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Look Ma! My First Post!
1990 GT Running Rough

I have a 1990 GT 5.0 and when i fisrt start it, it idles rough. Then when im driving and get on it hard, it takes off rough and then starts running fine. Any one got some ideals of wat my problem might be.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
MY motor does the same thing. I can't figure out what it is. On start up it hesitates tull its warmed up. It idles fine for 15 minutes or so then drops idle gets a tad choppy and feels slightly cammed. And a small vibration. Sound similar?

post #3 of 7 Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM
my buddy had the same problem from a fouled out plug, so check out the plugs and wires and cap and rotor

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 5.2
post #4 of 7 Old March 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Mine was doing the same thing. I replaced the rotor and plugs and wires and it runs like a champ again. I noticed the wires get hot from being close to the headers and this causes them to get old quick. Try to tie them up away from the headers if you can.
post #5 of 7 Old March 4th, 2008, 12:36 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast
Send a message via MSN to Iwannagofast
check for vacuum leaks......thats one of the first things you should do when its running a lil rough
post #6 of 7 Old March 4th, 2008, 12:53 AM
Who Care's ... Boost It!
Originally Posted by Iwannagofast View Post
check for vacuum leaks......thats one of the first things you should do when its running a lil rough
+1 on that and I will have to Star his respond. I had the same issue when I bought my car. I did these procedures and now my car works perfectly.

1. Checked for vac leaks and went ahead and replaced ALL vac hoses.
2. Removed the crappy "pinched" not gapped half ass spark plugs and replaced then.

3. Removed PCV Valve, breather filter which is located under the pcv valve, and replaced plastic grommet with a rubber one with o-rings for added strenth.

4. Adjusted my timing by advancing/retarding to best on standards.

Got rid of the rough starts, throttle response is great, doesn't crap out of starts on cold days and runs good. Also got rid of that annoying "Gas pushing" feeling or studder/spitting as it used to do.

94-95 306, B-Cam, Off-brand BBK Like Headers, H-Pipe, 3.73's, Nitrous Wet Shot 175 Shot
post #7 of 7 Old March 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM
If you haven't done a 10 minute tune up on your car. Then do it. Basically change out spark plugs. SP Wire. Thermostat. probably advance your timing
-/+ 15 degrees. Change your belts. Cap Rotor. Still have problems then like the last guy said check for a vacuum leak.

Whats that noise? Did I just dump the Trans!!!
Sponsored Links

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page