1990 GT Running Rough
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 2nd, 2008, 07:01 PM   #1
Look Ma! My First Post!

1990 Mustang GT

44racing is on a distinguished road

1990 GT Running Rough

I have a 1990 GT 5.0 and when i fisrt start it, it idles rough. Then when im driving and get on it hard, it takes off rough and then starts running fine. Any one got some ideals of wat my problem might be.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2008, 09:18 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

gaymaro
12.97 @140mph

flattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura aboutflattusmaximus78 has a spectacular aura about

MY motor does the same thing. I can't figure out what it is. On start up it hesitates tull its warmed up. It idles fine for 15 minutes or so then drops idle gets a tad choppy and feels slightly cammed. And a small vibration. Sound similar?
Old March 2nd, 2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Regular

1995 Mustang GT

95stangvert is on a distinguished road

my buddy had the same problem from a fouled out plug, so check out the plugs and wires and cap and rotor
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:05 AM   #4

1988 Mustang GT

Corey is on a distinguished road

Mine was doing the same thing. I replaced the rotor and plugs and wires and it runs like a champ again. I noticed the wires get hot from being close to the headers and this causes them to get old quick. Try to tie them up away from the headers if you can.
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:36 AM   #5
Hardcore Enthusiast

1990 Mustang GT
havent gone since gears

Iwannagofast will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to Iwannagofast

check for vacuum leaks......thats one of the first things you should do when its running a lil rough
Old March 4th, 2008, 12:53 AM   #6
Who Care's ... Boost It!

98 Mustang GT

teal89 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Iwannagofast View Post
check for vacuum leaks......thats one of the first things you should do when its running a lil rough
+1 on that and I will have to Star his respond. I had the same issue when I bought my car. I did these procedures and now my car works perfectly.

1. Checked for vac leaks and went ahead and replaced ALL vac hoses.
2. Removed the crappy "pinched" not gapped half ass spark plugs and replaced then.

3. Removed PCV Valve, breather filter which is located under the pcv valve, and replaced plastic grommet with a rubber one with o-rings for added strenth.

4. Adjusted my timing by advancing/retarding to best on standards.

Got rid of the rough starts, throttle response is great, doesn't crap out of starts on cold days and runs good. Also got rid of that annoying "Gas pushing" feeling or studder/spitting as it used to do.
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #7

1992 Mustang GT
???@???.??

phoostang is on a distinguished road

If you haven't done a 10 minute tune up on your car. Then do it. Basically change out spark plugs. SP Wire. Thermostat. probably advance your timing
-/+ 15 degrees. Change your belts. Cap Rotor. Still have problems then like the last guy said check for a vacuum leak.

Whats that noise? Did I just dump the Trans!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: 1990 GT Running Rough
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with rough running V-6 wildhorse V6 Mustangs 19 October 11th, 2007 12:43 AM
Running Rough 92mustanglx 5.0 Mustangs 5 April 6th, 2007 06:44 PM
97 GT Running Rough? rainbowmustang 96 - 98 5 March 21st, 2007 04:00 PM
rough running engine mickchu V6 Mustangs 9 January 24th, 2007 11:28 PM
'99 Mustang Running Very Rough With Little Horsepower thefastdraw V6 Mustangs 6 October 5th, 2006 05:02 PM