Modded Mustang Forums banner

What turn signals?

3K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  sunshine pony 
#1 ·
Recently needed to disassemble my dashboard, heater core, a/c etc, etc of my 1989 GT 5.0 pony car. I labeled all the wiring connections I took apart so as to know where they go when I started putting the car back together. Modified the instrument cluster with LED's and reconnected it in it's proper location. Tested all the lights, dimmer, hazard, head lamp and driving lights all worked normal. tested the turn signals and booya, not turn signals! Suggestions on how to go about getting my turn signals back? Also, like some things we put back together there is always a screw or nut we can't quite figure out where it came from? As I said, I labeled all my wires and connections and yet I have wires let over. I have enclosed a picture and was hoping a salty old Stanger could help me out?
Thanks guys & gals

Sunshine::grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Not sure what the white-ish connector is for. At first i thought the black connector may have been for the ignition switch, but it doesnt look quite right for that. The brown connector looks like the horn relay connector. Got a better pic of them? Might help jog some memories.

#3 ·
Hey fb93, here are some closer pic's of the female connectors that are just, well, just there! As I said, all the connectors I took apart were color coded so as to not forget which male went with which female. These 3 however, no clue. And then there is a LT GRY / Y wire that is just hanging out, no clue where that little devil came from. It's a pretty thick wire, maybe 16g?
And do you have any suggestions on how to resolve my turn signal issue?

Thanks-

Sunshine

Attachments

#4 ·
The white connector looks like one of two connectors for the cruise control amplifier. That is mounted to the body high above the dead pedal. There is a grey connector that comes off the cruise control actuator/servo assembly, and a white connector that is part of the dash harness. Still not sure what that black one is for as it does not look familair, but i have not been behind my dash that often. And that yellow wire just hanging...dont know that one either.

You need someone with an 89 to be 100% positive. Mine is a 93, but aside from the wire colors, the connectors are/should be the same.

---------- Post added at 11:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 PM ----------

You did mention your heater core. Is your blower motor resistor connected? Thats all i can think of for that black one.

#5 ·
Thanks fb93but here is what I can tell you: The connector with the red throat is short in respect to where it comes out of a harness. It barley reaches the hood release. The black is also as short as the red throat one, it wouldn't reach anything involving the blower. The white long skinny one you said may be for the cruise control up over the dead pedal. The is a connector up in the location mentioned but it has 2 females and 2 males already connected. So I think that's a scratch. Heater core was replaced during this entire ordeal and it is not connected.
No suggestions on the turn signals? Flashers work, cluster lights work, head lamps, running lights, reverse lights, brake lights good. Turn signals ... NIL!

Sunshine

#6 ·
From rock auto it looks like the black one is for the multi function switch, the brown one is for the mfs relay and I cant find anything about that long skinny one but there is a pic on google where its hanging where the instrument cluster would be so double check everything is connected there.

The connector for the relay may not be for the mfs relay but it is for a relay.

Edit: This might help as well.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&sou...dn9sjRvC_Q9py_W9bg&ust=1467037899965491&rct=j

#7 ·
Thanks 07gtS197, I'll keep looking. Hell it's all apart! Can't dance, to wet to plow as they say! Could these connectors be from something that used to be connected and is no longer connect for whatever reason? This WAS my daughters sixteenth birthday present many years ago. Who knows what her and her friends did or did not do when she owned it? I have found wires that go nowhere so anything is possible.
I'll stay on top of this and keep y'all advised-

Sunshine

#8 ·
07gtS197, question: you said "looks like the black one is for the multi function switch, the brown one is for the mfs relay". What is a multi function switch and where might it be located and what is a multi function switch relay and where might it be found? Also, I have attached a couple more pictures for identification. You assistance is appreciated. Found this little booger just back and to the right of the hood release handle. Does this part have anything to do with the turn signals? It says "DO Not Drop" but someone before me was illiterate. Thanks.

Sunshine

Attachments

#9 ·
The mfs is the physical switch that the turn signal is plugged into on the steering column. It is the switch for the high beams, wipers and turn signals. Im not sure where the relay is supposed to go but look around the fuse box and make sure all that is plugged in.

As far as that black box, I couldnt tell you what it is but try to find a part number then google it.

#10 ·
That black thing that says "DO Not Drop" is the internal wiper governor. E7ZF-17C476-AA or AB. None of the connectors you posted will mate to that.

There are 3 connectors on the backside of the multi-function switch. None are a match to the black connector you have. The connectors are the same for 87-93 and look like this...

#11 ·
Hey fb93, thanks for signing back in. I figured out that was the wiper governor and correct, none of the "mystery connectors" fit. The examples you sent look like what's already in my steering column. Sooo, the black connector and the brown/red throat connector remain "mystery connectors" and possibly may have either been for an accessory that may or may not have come with the car in 89 or have since been removed thereby leaving 2 connectors coming out of the same wiring harness. Maybe? Now the dirty white skinny connector, could this possibly be for the open door alarm and key left in the ignition alarm? There are currently 2 connectors in the box above the dead pedal. There is a ton of wires stuffed in behind the insulation. I did not find any empty connectors behind the insulation since, as I said, marked all the wire I disconnected. So if indeed this might be for the alarm, where might that connector be located?

---------- Post added at 05:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:23 PM ----------

fb93, if you don't mind, I have another question: I'm replacing the OEM radiator fan with a Flex-fan. The Flex-fan box says I need a spacer but does not tell me what size spacer. Do you have a clue as to what size spacer I might need? Options are 1/2 ", 2" or 2" w/ 3/4" Hub Pilot. Thanks for the help.

Sunshine

#12 ·
This is what your warning chime module should look like (E9EB-10D840). Your white connector will not mate to this.

The module is mounted to a black plastic bracket. There should be two metal clips on each tab for a screw. If the module is just dangling there, it mounts to the lower dash brace just below the ignition switch, using two 7mm hex/torx head screws IIRC. And, unless they were removed, there should be two relays clipped to that bracket, a brown for the horn and black for cruise. If your horns do not work, that may be your brown connector.

That module was revised in 92 (F29B-10D840), and looks like this. The connector used is similar, but the locating tabs on your white connector and this module are not a match.

I am still unsure what that black connector is for. Mine is a 93 and i cannot find that style connector anywhere, so it must be something for the 87-89 models.

As for the flex fan, i think a 2" is what you need? Not 100% positive on that tho. Is your factory fan cracking or the clutch leaking? The factory setup is very reliable. A new fan or clutch should be good to go for quite some time. Stick with Ford fans tho should you stick with it. But if you prefer the flex fan, thats ok too. One less part to worry about (the clutch).

#13 ·
Thanks fb93, your advise is sound. You would stay with the factory fan over the flex-fan? The only reason I thought I'd look at the Flex-fan was because of the heat heat here in Florida. I am a biker and the pony does a lot more sitting in the sun then driving on the road. Gotta keep the tan up! So since I am rebuilding and replacing parts, might as well get ones that last and can endure the temps. Surprisingly,, the dash has not cracked. Tac took a powder years ago and am currently seeking a replacement tac.
So,, any tips or suggestions are surely welcomed.

Sunshine

#14 ·
Calypso just swapped out his oem fan for a contour duel electric fan setup. They move a lot more air than factory. If you wanted to go with an electric fan I highly recommend going that route.

#15 ·
Hey Calypso, I agree, they do move more air. I have always been a little uncertain with electric fans in such an old Fox. If the power to the fan quits and your not watching the gauges that bad boy can get super nova in a heartbeat! As I mentioned to fb93, this pony does more sitting and resting then it does dragging my ass around. I basically use it on days when the sky is falling and there's no way I'm getting in the saddle. Still undecided on OEM or Flex but will take in all the feedback.
Thanks-

Sunshine

#16 ·
O7gtS197, fb93-
I want to thank you for all the help. All advise was followed, the diagrams were spot on and all is right in Muddville. But, I have another question for either of you or anybody you may want to forward this message to. Here's the new situation: long story short, replacing and already factory replaced radio. Unfortunately my daughters friends that installed the after market radio I just removed weren't the brightest bulbs on the tree. All i have is wires coming from a bundle in the car and wires coming from the radio. They were connected with electric tape. No connectors, no quick inline connectors, no wire ID, just wires. Does anyone happen to have a radio wiring schematic lying around there garage they would like to share so I can build a connector to plug into the new radio I'm installing? Y'all sent some very detailed info before and if you can make it super simple for me it greatly appreciated.
Thanks again
sunshine pony

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.