Modded Mustang Forums banner

Help clutch pedal went dead while driving

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wbrockstar 
#1 ·
Yesterday I was driving home from getting gas and I heard a loud snap inside the car and my clutch pedal went to the floor its useless now and I cannot drive the car. Does anyone have any idea why this happened and what I need to do to fix it. When it broke I wasn't driving the car hard just shifting into second from starting out at a turn

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 PM ----------

Update

I can still start the car which is odd I know my car has a trip that requires the pedal to be fully compressed I cannot shift into gears I am about to get under the dash post pictures once I i find it

#5 ·
When you press the clutch pedal down,the contacts will close on the clutch safety switch and this will let the starter turn over to start the car.It doesnt matter whether its in neutral or not either,so make sure you put it in neutral so the car wont lunge forward when the starter begins turning the engine over.I imagine youve already got it in neutral at the moment anyways,otherwise you would have already known it by feeling the car lunge.

I couldn't tell,from your video,if the quadrant & pawl assembly was damaged or not.If its not damaged,the cable might have just come free from the quadrant because its misadjusted or came loose from the clutch fork itself,which would make it jump off the quadrant because of the slack.You can check it by using the info below.
If the quadrant is damaged,do like Infinite Monkeys suggested and get a nice aftermarket setup.Its much stronger than the oem setup anyways.

If you look at the quadrant assembly in the picture below for reference,then look at your own quadrant,the top part of the quadrant has a hook thats square shaped.Thats where the end of the cable fits into.Is that part on your quadrant still there and undamaged?? If yes,get under the car,remove the dust shield that protects the clutch fork,use a prybar to push the clutch fork towards the front of the car(so it will put some slack in the clutch cable)& secure the fork so it doesnt move.Now get back under the dash and pull the clutch cable back over the top of the quadrant (there should be a groove that a short length of the cable will ride in)then slide the cable end into that square hook.Go back under the car and release the clutch fork so the cable will tighten back up.Get back in the car,push the clutch pedal down,put it in 1st gear,release the pedal slowly,now reach down & grab the pedal with your hand and pull upwards on it as far as it will go,now release it,put your foot back on it and push it down to the floor again.Listen while youre pushing the pedal down to see if you hear a clicking noise.If you hear this noise,that means the clutch cable was in need of adjustment and thats what occurred when you heard the clicking noise.The teeth on the quadrant are used for this adjustment process.The cable should be good now.Run through the gears to make sure everything sounds & acts right.Done

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.