8.8" rear end measurements...
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (34) Thread Tools
Old October 18th, 2006, 02:53 PM   34 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1

Ted J is on a distinguished road

8.8" rear end measurements...

I'm wondering, does anybody have the width measurement of a 8.8" Fox box and SN95 rear ends measured from that of the where the wheels mount up? I've read some flange measurements but I've been told that's the flange of the rear end and not actually where the tires mount up, like the outside of the drums. I'm wanting to know the width where the wheels mount up to see if it's going to be correct for the custom project I'm working on.

Also, does anybody know what the measurement is on the 8.8" rear end from the center of the axles to that of the flange the drive shaft mounts to?

Also, how does like a 88 Ford Thunderbird Coupe 8.8" rear end compare? I got a measurement off of it from wheel mounting surfaces width wise of 61.5 inches and from the center of the axle to that of the driveshaft flange of 10". Are the Stang rear end's narrower than the Thunderbird Coupes?

Thanks!

Ted

PS - This is for a custom project that I'm working on so that's why I need these measurements.

Thanks!

Ted
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 18th, 2006, 03:10 PM   #2
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0

I'll see if I can dig up some widths on the axles. Here is the info I have and hopefully it will help.

1979 and newer Mustang brake facts:

- 11"and smaller brakes fit under 15"+ wheels, 12" brakes require 16"+ wheels, and 13"+ brakes require a 17" or larger diameter wheels

- 1994-1998 Mustang rear axles are 3/4" wider on each side than a 79-93 Mustang.

- 1999 and newer Mustang rear axles are about 1 7/16" wider on each side than a 79-93 Mustang.

- 94 and newer Mustang 8.8 will bolt into a 79-93 Mustang but will require brake line adapters.

- Lincoln Mark7 LSC, SVO Mustang and Fox Body Saleens use a rear axle that is 1.25" wider per side than the 87-93 Mustangs.

- 94-95 spindles share the same track width as 79-93 spindles.

- 96 and up spindles have an 8mm wider track width.

- 79-93 Mustangs all use 9" drums with 7.5 and 8.8 rear axles.

- 4.0 liter Rangers use a wider 8.8 rear axle and 10" drums.

- Explorer 8.8 rear axles are 1" wider per side than a Ranger or Aerostar with a 7.5 rear axle.

***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
Old October 18th, 2006, 03:20 PM   #3

Do you have any specs on what the actual width of the rear ends are from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface? I don't have a rear end to compare to so those specs aren't giving me an idea of how wide it is.

Thanks!

Ted
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:07 PM   #4

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all1slo5.0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ted J
Do you have any specs on what the actual width of the rear ends are from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface? I don't have a rear end to compare to so those specs aren't giving me an idea of how wide it is.

Thanks!

Ted
I'm looking thru my notes to see. I'll let you know if I find something.

Old October 18th, 2006, 04:16 PM   #5

Originally Posted by Darrell

Thanks!

Ted
I'm looking thru my notes to see. I'll let you know if I find something.
Sweet, thank you so much. I haven't been able to find anything in regards to measurements and the ones I have listed above was from somebody that measured it on the rear end I'm looking to buy from him! :-)
Old October 18th, 2006, 04:29 PM   #6

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

Ted, 79-93 Mustangs use a 57 inch wide rear axle. 94-98 Mustangs use a 58.5 inch wide rear axle. 99 and newer Mustangs use a 59 7/8 inch wide rear axle. Lincoln Mark7 LSC, SVO Mustang and Fox Body Saleens use a 59.5 inch wide rear axle. Hope this helps.

Old October 18th, 2006, 10:50 PM   #7

Ted, 79-93 Mustangs use a 57 inch wide rear axle. 94-98 Mustangs use a 58.5 inch wide rear axle. 99 and newer Mustangs use a 59 7/8 inch wide rear axle. Lincoln Mark7 LSC, SVO Mustang and Fox Body Saleens use a 59.5 inch wide rear axle. Hope this helps.
You rock Darrell, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

Not counting the fender lips that can be rolled back my crude measurement (meaning a I dropped a plum bob down from the inside of the fender lip and then lined the slicks up behind the car as square as I could) I got a measurement of 56.25" from the wheel mounting surfaces. With each side having a 1/2" lip that can be hammered up it looks like the '86-'93 8.8" out of a fox body will do the trick!

That is if I'm correct in thinking that the '86 - '93's had the 8.8's on the 5 spd 5.0's, right? I thought I read somewhere that the '79-'85's only had the 7.5" when they rolled off the showroom floor.

Ted
Old October 18th, 2006, 10:54 PM   #8
Hardcore Enthusiast

Twist 2 Go is on a distinguished road

That is if I'm correct in thinking that the '86 - '93's had the 8.8's on the 5 spd 5.0's, right? I thought I read somewhere that the '79-'85's only had the 7.5" when they rolled off the showroom floor.

Ted
that is correct. all 79-85 cars had 7.5's in both the v8 and inline cars. The 86 & up V8 cars had 8.8's. the 4cyl cars still had 7.5's

www.rickscarcare.net
Old October 18th, 2006, 11:19 PM   #9

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

Ted, you can shorten the axle if need be and still keep the stock mounting points. I assume you will be getting aftermarket axles since you are running slicks? If so, order them about an inch shorter than stock and have a reputable chassis shop jig up your housing and shorten it accordingly. That's what they did to my rear end when they built it.

When you roll the fender lips use a wooden baseball bat. It is the only sure way to not damage the quarter panels. Using a hammer and dolly will kink the quarters believe it or not. Stick the bat between the tire and fender lip. Have someone (the heavier the better) sit on the car over the tire and have someone else push the car back and forth. You control the bat and direct the guy pushing the car. Keep the bat on a sharp angle toward the ground. After about 10 passes back and forth the lip will be rolled up real nice like it came that way from the factory. If you have good paint and don't want any chips, take a razor blade and cut a line thru the paint to bare metal down the middle of the fender lip. This will help keep the cracking and chiping toward the inside where nobody will see it.

Old October 19th, 2006, 07:36 AM   #10

Ted, you can shorten the axle if need be and still keep the stock mounting points. I assume you will be getting aftermarket axles since you are running slicks? If so, order them about an inch shorter than stock and have a reputable chassis shop jig up your housing and shorten it accordingly. That's what they did to my rear end when they built it.
I think I might have gotten lucky and won't need to shorten the axles or the run wheels with different back spacing. I'm trying to keep the parts as stock as possible for with the plan of doing WOT launches I might end up breaking things!

I won't be using any of the stock mounts that I'm aware of. Looking into maybe doing a 4 link or a ladder bar type set up. Again, this is a all custom project and it's not being put into anything that was made in america so it won't just bolt right up. I'm going to have to fabricate up the rear suspension.

I might just borrow a 7.5 rear end from a friend who has an early 80's stang and bolt the slicks up to it and see how it fits in the car. That is if hte 7.5's have the same width as the 8.8's which it sounds like they do.

When you roll the fender lips use a wooden baseball bat. It is the only sure way to not damage the quarter panels. Using a hammer and dolly will kink the quarters believe it or not. Stick the bat between the tire and fender lip. Have someone (the heavier the better) sit on the car over the tire and have someone else push the car back and forth. You control the bat and direct the guy pushing the car. Keep the bat on a sharp angle toward the ground. After about 10 passes back and forth the lip will be rolled up real nice like it came that way from the factory. If you have good paint and don't want any chips, take a razor blade and cut a line thru the paint to bare metal down the middle of the fender lip. This will help keep the cracking and chiping toward the inside where nobody will see it.
I hear ya on the rolling of the fender lip with a bat. Was going to look into doing that later once I have an idea of if the set up will even fit in the back of the car yet. I guess I could always try running smaller slicks but the ones I've borrowed from a friend of mine seem to be a nice size. They are close to stock size for the tires on a stang stock and fit in the fender wells nicely but they also seem like they should be good to hook some nice 60' times and hopefully give me at least 10's if not maybe hitting that oh so sought after single dight 1/4 mile time! Time will tell if that will happen or not though, and if I have enough money to do it! ha ha

Thanks again for all of the info!
Old October 19th, 2006, 08:15 AM   #11

With that info you just posted up, does that mean the wheels for the Fox Body Saleen's have different backspacing I'd assume? The 15" aluminum fox body wheels my friend has the slicks mounted on has 5" of back spacing, does that sound right? Was thinking maybe if the rear end is wider on the saleen fox body's that I might be able to use those wheels to get the slicks in the right spot if needed. Just an idea.
Old October 19th, 2006, 08:26 AM   #12

1990 Mustang LX
9.36@143 mph

That is if hte 7.5's have the same width as the 8.8's which it sounds like they do.
Yes they are.

Just remember, stock parts + fast = alot of broken parts.

Old October 19th, 2006, 09:03 AM   #13

That is if hte 7.5's have the same width as the 8.8's which it sounds like they do.
Yes they are.

Just remember, stock parts + fast = alot of broken parts.
stock parts + fast = alot of broken parts
custom sized parts + fast = hopefully strong enough rear end but if things do break then custom parts will have to be made to replace them.
stock sized parts replaced with stronger ones + fast = hopefully strong enough rear end but if things do break I won't have to be custom made
Old August 7th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #14
Enthusiast

2003 vert gt
12.703@ 107.65 KCIR

mtw002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mtw002 Send a message via MSN to mtw002 Send a message via Yahoo to mtw002

I know this thread is old but where do you measure to find out the width of the rear end? I just picked one up from a guy for $80 and was told it was out of a 99-04 gt but the tag says different. any help would be appreciated.

1989 mustang lx 92gt short block w/gt40p (SOLD)

1985 mustang GT (SOLD!)

1998 gt mustang bone stock (03 DOHC build, gathering parts!)

1983 Ford Fairmont 2.3 dirt car
Old August 8th, 2011, 07:05 PM   #15
Enthusiast

2003 vert gt
12.703@ 107.65 KCIR

mtw002 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to mtw002 Send a message via MSN to mtw002 Send a message via Yahoo to mtw002

Bump....

1989 mustang lx 92gt short block w/gt40p (SOLD)

1985 mustang GT (SOLD!)

1998 gt mustang bone stock (03 DOHC build, gathering parts!)

1983 Ford Fairmont 2.3 dirt car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/6621-8-8-rear-end-measurements.html
Posted By For Type Date
Solid Surface Granite Countertops & Kitchen Worktops - Kitchen Worktops UK This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:27 PM
Information about Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Granite Kitchen London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:27 PM
What You have to Learn about Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops - Granite Countertops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:26 PM
Granite Countertops: One of the Finest Kitchen Worktops in the Market - Marble Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:24 PM
The Different Kinds of Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Quartz Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:24 PM
The Different Types of Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Solid Surface Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:23 PM
Solid Surface Granite Countertops & Kitchen Worktops - Quartz Countertops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:22 PM
About Granite Countertops and Kitchen Worktops - Granite Kitchen London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:21 PM
What You Need to Find out about Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops - Granite Countertops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:20 PM
Solid Surface Granite Countertops & Kitchen Worktops - Quartz Countertops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:19 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops Choices - Granite Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:18 PM
What You have to Learn about Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops - Granite Countertops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:17 PM
Granite Countertops: One of the Greatest Kitchen Worktops in the Market - Quartz Countertops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:16 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops: For a Classy-looking Kitchen - Granite Kitchen London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:15 PM
Solid Surface Granite Countertops & Kitchen Worktops - Granite Worktops London This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:15 PM
Granite Countertops and Other Kitchen Worktops Options - Quartz Kitchen Worktops This thread Refback September 9th, 2014 07:14 PM
Fox Tech: Quick links & Articles. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback August 19th, 2014 12:20 AM
Fox Tech: Quick links & Articles. - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums This thread Refback July 2nd, 2014 07:20 PM
Mustang Rear End Width This thread Refback April 13th, 2013 06:47 PM
thunderbird differential measurements This thread Refback February 25th, 2013 09:05 PM
Mustang 8.8 Rear End Width This thread Refback February 4th, 2013 04:37 PM
Fox Mustang Axle Width This thread Refback January 29th, 2013 01:12 PM
Untitled document This thread Refback January 5th, 2013 11:37 AM
Untitled document This thread Refback January 4th, 2013 08:52 PM
8.8 Rear End Widths This thread Refback November 14th, 2012 10:47 AM
Mustang 8.8 Rear End Width This thread Refback November 12th, 2012 10:13 PM
8.8 Ford Rear End Widths This thread Refback October 29th, 2012 06:53 PM
Rear end way off... - Carolina Horsepower This thread Refback October 19th, 2012 04:49 AM
Mustang 8.8 Rear End Width This thread Refback October 13th, 2012 06:00 PM
Track Width Measurement Ford Mustang Fox Body This thread Refback July 23rd, 2012 11:36 AM
Rear end way off... - Carolina Horsepower This thread Refback May 14th, 2012 09:43 AM
The V8 Owners Forum - :: View topic - Which axle??? This thread Refback June 3rd, 2011 05:42 PM
www.v8forum.co.uk :: View topic - Which axle??? This thread Refback October 27th, 2010 08:01 PM
www.v8forum.co.uk :: View topic - Which axle??? This thread Refback October 22nd, 2010 02:28 PM

Threads Similar to: 8.8" rear end measurements...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
9" rear end 69_5.0_stang Classic Mustangs 2 July 26th, 2007 05:25 AM
Tire Size Measurements warriora66 V6 Mustangs 1 October 31st, 2006 03:25 PM
7.5 or 8.8" Rear End In My Car? CyberPrey V6 Mustangs 18 October 29th, 2006 11:55 AM
wheel lug measurements PonyRunner Classic Mustangs 11 September 1st, 2006 08:39 PM