Modded Mustang Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

LS1 in a fox?

2K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  1slo5.0 
#1 ·
I am thinking of building a new project car, I found a notch back with no engine or tranny and i am thinking of either dropping an LSx style motor or possibly a big block ford in it any sugestions?

#3 ·
You can get used LQ9's off ebay for like $2,500-3,000 all the time.

LQ9 is a 6.0L iron block LS-2 with a truck cam and intake
they have 10-1 compression and make about 350hp.

You can do a Z06 cam swap and LS6 intake and have a kick ass
425+hp engine on a 1000+hp capable block for about $3,000 or less than a Dart short block alone

#5 ·
I would much rather put a 351 windsor in their, a fresh one.. keep it ford! a 460ci bbf is rediculous for power, makes TONS. but its not great cornering, because its so heavy. Well that is compared to the 302. A 460 would be a really fun street motor but get some good brakes and suspension setup while your at it. And say goodbye to any human made tires.

#8 ·
call AJE performance, they can hook you up with a full tubular swap kit for not too bad of a price, and they make quality stuff on top of that. i think it is an awesome idea, working on a similar process myself. and +1 to what r barn said. on a side note if you want an ls engine go with an ls engine, don't listen to people that are going to give the whole putting a chevy in a ford lecture... brand loyalty is for suckers

#9 ·
if you do a chevy swap. make it a LQ9 its alot cheaper. or jegs sells an iron lsx block thats a 4.00 bore not a 3.910 like the ls1 or 4.060 which is an ls2. its actually a 350. then pick up a ls1 crank and rods and pistons then get trick flow 215 or 225 cc heads and a vengeance vendicator cam (240/244 .608/.596 at 112 +4 Lsa) and then toss a ls6 or fast intake on it and you'll make close to 600 hp at the crank. its an $8000 motor build roughly for me so it would be alittle more for you cuz you'll need coil packs, water pump, pully's, etc. plus i dont have to buy a crank so that around 1000 anyway. its all on you budget but the lsx motors are bad ass street motors to say the least. thats just my .02 that would be a sweet fox set up

#11 ·
Heres the thing with LS swaps.

If you want to make BIG power. I mean 600-1000rwhp they are
a great option. Half the cost of a Dart block with awesome "stock" parts.

If you are doing the swap to make 400-500rwhp N/A then its a waste.
You could drop in a nice stroked 351W with same cubes for 1/10th the headaches
and make same power. 351W will just "drop in" with stock wireharness
computer, trans, engine mounts, ect ect., LS swap would take a LOT of
customizing for same power.

My next 800+rwhp build would be a turbo LSx swap for sure though.

#26 ·
A pre-80s 351W block will hold more power than most street car people will ever throw at it. The engine in my 87LX was a production 74 block and it was seeing well over 1000hp when sprayed. My 90 LX made 740hp with a production block n/a. A friend of mine makes 880 to the tire with a production 70s block and an F2 Procharger. I don't think the block strength is a good sell but the fact that the LS1s are aluminum is a good sell for sure.

#13 ·
although i hate when i see a 32 ford coupe with a small block chevy in it, i think that the ls1 engines are impressive, even thought chevy is still building push rod engines (not saying there bad) they seem to be doing something right

i think hot rod magazine did this a while back, it was a white notch with a 99 camaro ls1 in it if i remember

#17 ·
LS1 in a fox? You should be kicked in the scrotum for even thinking about that.

Save back your money and throw an '03 Cobra motor in it.

#25 ·
LS engines can make big power. Its a unique swap and the parts are out there so if that is what you want go for it. You will need a k-member, and transmount among other things. I haven't added it all up but by the time you build the LS engine and buy the swap parts you could probably build a 351W based stroker. I'll keep my 351W based stroker and keep running circles around the LS boys :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.