Floor Pan Replacement - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old November 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Floor Pan Replacement

I just stripped my 87 5.0 LX last weekend to start restoration. Both floor pans are deteriorated. The passenger side is the worst, it has a 1 inch diameter hole, and the seam on the one edge is not connected to the brace. The driver side doesn't have any holes and the seams are in tact, but you can tell by pushing on it that it is weak.

The heater core is disconnected so I am assuming alot of the damage was from being moist from the leaky heater core. I found replacement floor pan sheetmetal from 50resto and dallasmustang. I also know an experience welder that can take care of them.

What is the recommend method of installing them? Should I remove the old floor pans or install the replacements over the top? I was looking around online and I have seen it done both ways. My thought was to leave the old floor pans in place and go over the top. That way there is another layer and should be a little stronger. Before I did that though, I wanted to see what other Fox mustang owners recommend.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old November 29th, 2006, 11:20 AM

You remove the old floor pans and weld in the new ones. Welding on top of them is lazy and poor workmanship.

90 Mustang GT
97 Mustang Cobra
post #3 of 4 Old November 29th, 2006, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean90GT
You remove the old floor pans and weld in the new ones. Welding on top of them is lazy and poor workmanship.
I definitely don't mind doing the extra work, I just want to make sure it is done right. Is it recommended to leave any overlap of the old pan onto the new one? Or should I leave that up to the welder? If there should be overlap, how much?

Thanks
post #4 of 4 Old November 29th, 2006, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtillery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean90GT
I definitely don't mind doing the extra work, I just want to make sure it is done right. Is it recommended to leave any overlap of the old pan onto the new one? Or should I leave that up to the welder? If there should be overlap, how much?

Thanks
Here this isn't on a fox but it's the same idea with some pictures > http://personal.ecu.edu/boydd/tech/f...floorpans.html

90 Mustang GT
97 Mustang Cobra
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page