95 gt tune questions
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs > 94-95

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools
Old January 7th, 2010, 06:30 PM   4 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

1995, gt

joymij is on a distinguished road

95 gt tune questions

hey guys. so i am thinking about tuning now...but idk what to do with my 95 gt. i know the OBD2 system started in 96, so does that mean the only way i can tune is to have a chip installed? or is there another way. i currently have a cai, 75 mm throttle body and a MAF that is not installed yet, with an o/r x-pipe and magnaflow exhaust. is a tune even worth it or should i make more minor upgrades and then do a tune that would fit all the mods? and how much would a tune for my car cost?
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Regular

9.74@142

mpe331lx will become famous soon enough

No tune needed with bolt ons. You will be throwing money away for no gain in performance.

Make sure the car is in good running condition, run premium fuel, and advance the timing to 14* with the SPOUT connector out. Pay close attention to the car under a haevy load in high gear and at WOT. 94-95's are more prone to detonation then the earlier 5.0s, so it may not tolerate 14*. If it pings, drop it back a degree. It will run the best with 12 to 14* initial timing.

Pro M used to have a performance improvement harness that allowed you to run a Fox maf PCM. The fox PCM's have more aggressive timing and fuel curves and are not as prone to detonation. But the harness is hard to find now. I'm sure someone good with wiring diagrams could do it themselfs.

Last edited by mpe331lx; January 7th, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old January 7th, 2010, 07:58 PM   #3
Enthusiast

95project is on a distinguished road

i would get a tune if you are changing the MAF. It will run better and will allow you to squeeze some extra power out of it. The 94-95 have a really shitty stock tune...ongoing argument is the 94-95 computer is garbage, after some debate its not the computer that sucks, its the program. they are really ticky and have to be adjusted perfectly or it will not run as it should....my 95 is no different.

just plan ahead and get as many mods that require a retune done at one time so you dont have to spend tons on retune charges. you will definately see more power out of it with a good tune.
95 GT- AFR 185's, Comp CAM, Trick FLow TH upper and lower, 30lb injec, 76MM C&L kit, Full MSD, BBK Pulleys, 3:73, BBK Long Tubes, X Pipe, Magnaflow Cat back, Cobra front control arms, MM CC plates LCA's and Panhard bar, tuned by Adam @ Pops Racing.
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:15 PM   #4
Regular

1995, gt

ok...how hard is it to change the timing? im very inexperienced with cars so talk about timing and WOT mean very little to me. what is WOT? and i doubt i will be able to change the timing myself so how much would it cost to have somebody do that for me? and im considering NOS so should i consider that when i change my timing?
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:42 PM   #5
Regular

9.74@142

Originally Posted by joymij View Post
ok...how hard is it to change the timing? im very inexperienced with cars so talk about timing and WOT mean very little to me. what is WOT? and i doubt i will be able to change the timing myself so how much would it cost to have somebody do that for me? and im considering NOS so should i consider that when i change my timing?
WOT = Wide Open Throttle. Setting the timing is fairly simple with a timing light and a 1/2" (or 13mm) distributor wrench. Do a search and you should be able to find the process for setting the timing on a 5.0.

And yes, it is VERY important to take into consideration if you are going to run nitrous. You have to retard timing (from your max efficient timing setting) to run nitrous. How much you have to retard it depends on how big of a shot you plan on running.

It would be a good idea to run an ignition box with a timing retard. That way you can keep your full timing when N/A, and it automatically retards your timing when you spray.

Check out the Mallory 685 box. It has a 2 step, 12v activated timing retard (perfect for N2o), and a built in RPM window switch (I would not run N2o without one), and a couple more user friendly features that only takes seconds to adjust with a digital readout. I just put one in the LT1. I want to see what it will do with a little shot

IMO it's MUCH more user friendly then the MSD digital6

Mallory Ignition :: Product Details

Heres a link to the 685 from summit:Mallory Ignition 685 - Mallory HyFire VI Digital CD Ignitions - Suggested Parts - SummitRacing.com
Old January 7th, 2010, 09:45 PM   #6
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Just as a side note.. the 95 was a guinea pig for the obd2 system. Your car may have it.
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #7
Regular

1995, gt

Originally Posted by HMUSN View Post
Just as a side note.. the 95 was a guinea pig for the obd2 system. Your car may have it.
would the plug in be below the dash like normal or somewhere else...im gonna look for it on my next day off...fiddle around and get more in touch with my car (second girlfriend) lol
Old January 7th, 2010, 10:47 PM   #8
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

Yea.. it would be below the drivers side dash if your car was indeed obd2.
Old January 9th, 2010, 08:27 PM   #9

95 mustang gt

gearbangger is on a distinguished road

whats the deal with changing 94-95 mustangs to the 89-93 computers. Some peolpe say dont do it because the 95 computer is faster and better then the earlier mustang computer. but i dont see how because i know if u put a cam in a 94-95 u will have tuning problems. i had a 91 mustang i put every up grade u could do to it and never had one problem running stock computer with no tune. i now have a 95 because i like the body stlye better. but every upgrade i do i have ide sruge problems and i know the car isnt running the best it could. i tuned many mustangs and i know everything i can set manurally is right
Old January 10th, 2010, 07:27 AM   #10
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT
12.8 @ 108

Bullitt95 will become famous soon enoughBullitt95 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via ICQ to Bullitt95

Originally Posted by 95project View Post
The 94-95 have a really shitty stock tune...ongoing argument is the 94-95 computer is garbage, after some debate its not the computer that sucks, its the program.
The stock programming isn't as bad as most people make out. I've done several mods on my '95 and I'm still running the stock tune without any issues. You can even run higher-flowing performance heads/intake as long as you install a bigger MAF and it's calibrated with the proper MAF transfer curve for the appropriate size injectors.
If you change the cam and the new cam specs deviate far from stock, the stock computer definitely needs reprogramming.

2006 GT - 5MT - 305rwhp 317rwtq
Stage 1 Performance: JLT 3 CAI, DIY CMDPs, Steeda UDPs, 91 tune, 6500rpm limiter
Suspension: BMR rear LCAs & relo. brackets
Old January 10th, 2010, 11:15 AM   #11
Regular

95 mustang gt/cobra clone

riggsracin is on a distinguished road

my car has the hook up under the dash but every one on here says its the obd1
Old January 10th, 2010, 05:11 PM   #12
Regular

9.74@142

Originally Posted by Bullitt95 View Post
The stock programming isn't as bad as most people make out. I've done several mods on my '95 and I'm still running the stock tune without any issues. You can even run higher-flowing performance heads/intake as long as you install a bigger MAF and it's calibrated with the proper MAF transfer curve for the appropriate size injectors.
If you change the cam and the new cam specs deviate far from stock, the stock computer definitely needs reprogramming.
You can GET AWAY with running the stock tune/PCM with better heads and supporting mods, but there is definately some power left on the table in a 94-95.

The same goes for a Fox 5.0, but less power is to be had with a tune. IMO, Until you go forced induction, or a a H/C/I set up, the gains in a paying for a dyno tune on a 5.0 really are not worth it.

Set the timing and the fuel pressure with an AFPR and you should be able to get the car performing vary well.
Old January 10th, 2010, 10:44 PM   #13
Regular

1995, gt

well i checked under the dash, definitely no obd2 port. im almost certain their are no 95 stangs with obd2. probably just an internet myth that grew once one guy said it on a forum. so how hard is it to adjust the timing and what will that change driving-wise?
Old January 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM   #14
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT
12.8 @ 108

Bullitt95 will become famous soon enoughBullitt95 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mpe331lx View Post
Set the timing and the fuel pressure with an AFPR and you should be able to get the car performing very well.
Exactly what I did. I still have the stock 19lb injectors but I've tweaked my AFPR and found the "sweet spot" at 45psi. I kept the timing at 10*BTDC though 'cause of the hot climate over here. The idle is rock steady at 650rpm in D and 800rpm in P.
My '95 does have the underdash connector but it's about as useful as tits on a bull. Like everyone else I use the connector in the engine bay for scanning codes.
Old January 12th, 2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Regular

1995, gt

where would i get an afpr, and is this something i can do myself with basically no knowledge of timing and fuel pressure?
Old January 12th, 2010, 02:05 PM   #16
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT
12.8 @ 108

I bought the BBK AFPR from Summit Racing and installed it myself in about 15 minutes. You'll definitely need a fuel pressure gauge to make the adjustments and I went for the Kirban unit that comes with an adapter that screws onto the Schrader valve.
Old January 12th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #17
Regular

1995, gt

so with my mods is there a "sweet spot" that i should expect? or are all cars different and i will just have to test it myself after each adjustment?
Old January 13th, 2010, 08:10 AM   #18
Hardcore Enthusiast

2006 Mustang GT
12.8 @ 108

Originally Posted by joymij View Post
are all cars different and i will just have to test it myself after each adjustment?
Yes.
Old January 14th, 2010, 12:56 PM   #19
Regular

1995, gt

and im guessing it is rather easy to adjust the afpr?
Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:59 PM   #20
Regular

03 Mach 1

kreil45 is on a distinguished road

when ever you get it tuned make sure the guy knows what he is doing. cause i have had mine tuned about 5 times and he can seem to get it right. it sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/94-95/148976-95-gt-tune-questions.html
Posted By For Type Date
95 gt tune questions This thread Refback October 8th, 2012 01:24 AM
Page 4 - Last Minute Meet and Dinner Willowbrook mall Tuesday January 10th 7pm - Mustang Club General Meets This thread Refback January 9th, 2012 10:55 AM
How To Set Timing On 95 Mustang - Kosmix : Reference, Videos, Images, News, Shopping and more... This thread Refback January 22nd, 2010 12:14 AM
95 Mustang Gt Wiring Diagrams - Kosmix : Reference, Videos, Images, News, Shopping and more... This thread Refback January 20th, 2010 06:47 PM

Threads Similar to: 95 gt tune questions
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you get more gas mileage with stock 87 tune or 93 octane tune? asiansensation78 99 - 04 14 November 24th, 2009 12:41 AM
Tq tune outperforms race tune at the 1/8 mile track. gragra73 2005 - 2010 5 July 28th, 2008 04:16 PM
Questions about a cusom tune ? crod02 99 - 04 3 April 23rd, 2008 11:01 AM
Dyno Tune Questions blakehunter316 5.0 Mustangs 3 March 11th, 2008 10:55 PM
Tune up questions?? Bill 5.0 Mustangs 18 December 18th, 2005 07:56 PM