Manual Transmission Fluid
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs > 94-95

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 13th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #1

1994 Mustang GT

ATP94GT is on a distinguished road

Manual Transmission Fluid

So yesterday I changed my T5's fluid. I wanted to go to what i thought is best, and got Carquest Dex VI synthetic. Now i'm reading and everyone is saying dex/merc III is what should be in there, or a rebuild would be coming soon. It shifted through all the gears just fine and got me home (an hour on the highway) just fine. Do you guys think it'll be okay of do I need to drain/fill again with dex/merc III this time?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by ATP94GT; March 13th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 13th, 2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Regular

1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

BikerSk8rKid is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to BikerSk8rKid Send a message via Yahoo to BikerSk8rKid

Originally Posted by ATP94GT View Post
So yesterday I changed my T5's fluid. I wanted to go to what i thought is best, and got Carquest Dex VI synthetic. Now i'm reading and everyone is saying dex/merc III is what should be in there, or a rebuild would be coming soon. It shifted through all the gears just fine and got me home (an hour on the highway) just fine. Do you guys think it'll be okay of do I need to drain/fill again with dex/merc III this time?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
I wish I could help ya, but I'm not to sure. I use Royal Purple for almost all my fluids.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #3

1995 GT Coupe
12.30@ 116mph

Tdymorris is on a distinguished road

I run royal purple engine oil, ATF, and gear oil, I wouldnt go with anything else
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:45 PM   #4
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

GM syncromesh is one of the best. I use that in the Amsoil version.
Old March 13th, 2011, 03:58 PM   #5

1994 Mustang GT

Hey thanks for the input but i was told only to use ATF because I was going to get royal sychromax but the store manager (an avid racer and sounded like he really knew what he was talking about) said that since its the factory T5 and it calls for ATF means i cant use anything else because the tolerances are made for ATF (whereas synchromesh or RP is too thick). I wanted a synthetic so I got dexVI. It seems ok now but i read not to use sythetic and to stick with dex/merIII? Also I believe the tranny may be a tad noisier but i could just be paranoid.
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #6
Regular

1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

I haven't had any problems yet using Royal Purple for my Tranny.

I got mine because of the reviews from people on AM and the info on it.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...ion-fluid.html
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:45 PM   #7

sn95GT

blueovalbleeder is on a distinguished road

I've been running Motorcraft synthetic dex/merc and had no issues. Lubricating oil is used based on the shear the oil needs to provide, and the viscosity needed at the operating temp the oil lives at. Various lubricating oils will meet those requirements. Also there can be issues with certain petroleums eating seals.
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:17 PM   #8

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

FastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really niceFastStang91Lx is just really nice

12 years ago, I had a guy at an autoparts store tell me that the trans (according to his computer) was supposed to use 80/90. Yeah, that trans didn't last. So just because he was behind the counter doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. If you are that worried about it, go down to your local Ford dealership and ask them. But I've never heard of synthetic NOT being good for something. It has smaller molecule, which is why an existing leak will usually leak more, and there is no issue with lubricating in the smallest area. If the oil is too thick, that's where your issue comes from.
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:39 PM   #9
Because SBF

1969 Mustang Mach 1
6.12@112

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle
69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of69fastback has much to be proud of

Another thing about synthetics....

Older style transmissions rely on a certain amount friction for the blocker rings to do their jobs, and in some cases, a synthetic oil doesn't allow that to happen. It seems to be hit and miss in them working or not. I run 80-90 in my toploader, but that's what it calls for.

Last edited by 69fastback; March 13th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old March 13th, 2011, 06:53 PM   #10

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
Another thing about synthetics....

Older style transmissions rely on a certain amount friction for the blocker rings to do their jobs, and in some cases, a synthetic oil doesn't allow that to happen. It seems to be hit and miss in them working or not. I run 80-90 in my toploader, but that's why it calls for.
That is true too....
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:13 PM   #11
Regular

1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

I just realized that my Tranny Fluid is leaking very small amounts through the drive line. Which just started happening recently. I've been using Royal Purple since 2009 I believe.

Is that because of the Fluid I'm using or because I have 110k+ miles and it's probably due for new seals?
Early 2010 I did my clutch for my first time, I could have messed it up then. :/ lol
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #12

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

Where is the leak coming from? front or back of trans? And I'd say age, and the molecule thing I posted earlier.
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:44 PM   #13

1994 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by FastStang91Lx View Post
12 years ago, I had a guy at an autoparts store tell me that the trans (according to his computer) was supposed to use 80/90. Yeah, that trans didn't last. So just because he was behind the counter doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. If you are that worried about it, go down to your local Ford dealership and ask them. But I've never heard of synthetic NOT being good for something. It has smaller molecule, which is why an existing leak will usually leak more, and there is no issue with lubricating in the smallest area. If the oil is too thick, that's where your issue comes from.
Ok I get what you're saying, but do you think since the synthetic has smaller molecules that it would been a little noisier than the thicker factory fluid which could, in a sense, dampen the sound? And does the end number (dexIII, dexVI) just mean its a newer generation in the fluid with better properties or is it a specific grade like engine oil is? I'm reading people are saying its suppose to use 3 and not six, whereas this is also a 3 synthetic so did i mess up grabbing the wrong number?

Thanx
Aaron
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #14
Regular

1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

Where is the leak coming from? front or back of trans? And I'd say age, and the molecule thing I posted earlier.
It's coming from the back, right where the cuping is for the drive line. It's barely leaking. I'm hopping it's the age, because I like Royal Purple.
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #15
Regular

1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

Ok I get what you're saying, but do you think since the synthetic has smaller molecules that it would been a little noisier than the thicker factory fluid which could, in a sense, dampen the sound? And does the end number (dexIII, dexVI) just mean its a newer generation in the fluid with better properties or is it a specific grade like engine oil is? I'm reading people are saying its suppose to use 3 and not six, whereas this is also a 3 synthetic so did i mess up grabbing the wrong number?

Thanx
Aaron
I'm curious to what noise your hearing.
Old March 13th, 2011, 07:59 PM   #16

1991 Mustang LX 5.0

Thanx
Aaron
Different viscosity

Originally Posted by BikerSk8rKid View Post
It's coming from the back, right where the cuping is for the drive line. It's barely leaking. I'm hopping it's the age, because I like Royal Purple.
As in where the driveshaft goes in? That just a tailshaft seal that you can easily replace. I have one to do on my wife's car too.
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:16 PM   #17
Regular

1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

So since it's a different viscosity, that would cause his to make noise?

As in where the driveshaft goes in? That just a tailshaft seal that you can easily replace. I have one to do on my wife's car too.
My mechanic said the first seal will be easy, but the other seal or bearing might be wrecked?
I know I have to pull the driveshaft out, but do I have to drain the oil?
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:38 PM   #18

1994 Mustang GT

Its not that theres a specific noise, its just the normal operation sounds are easier to notice. Could just be my motor though... haha i dont really know of a specific noise, it just sounds louder.
Old March 13th, 2011, 08:53 PM   #19
Regular

1995 Ford Mustang GT 5.0

Its not that theres a specific noise, its just the normal operation sounds are easier to notice. Could just be my motor though... haha i dont really know of a specific noise, it just sounds louder.
Where does it sound like it's coming from?
Old March 13th, 2011, 09:04 PM   #20

1994 Mustang GT

Well when I first got the car, it had a high pitched whine. the other night i pulled up to my friend and he was like "it sounds like that things supercharged!" But thats nothing new. I'll diagnose that later. After draining and filling the tranny it just seams like theres more little noises (one possibly being a tiny exhaust leak but haven't checked it out yet). And like i said it just feels like the tranny operation is a little noisier now but i could just be paranoid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Manual Transmission Fluid
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Manual transmission fluid change Saleen0101 99 - 04 39 June 14th, 2013 11:37 PM
Appropriate transmission fluid for T46 manual Ford45 99 - 04 3 July 9th, 2010 07:52 PM
Manual Transmission Fluid Change Bajis 99 - 04 3 June 29th, 2010 05:57 PM
Manual Transmission fluid..synthetic bad? Saleen0101 Modular Mustangs 16 September 9th, 2008 12:38 AM
Manual Transmission Fluid lwhitetrash88l V6 Mustangs 17 August 29th, 2007 09:55 PM