how can i tell if my stang has a cam?
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs > 94-95

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:09 AM   #1
Regular

1994 Mustang GT
unknown

nor_calrenegade99 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to nor_calrenegade99
Question

how can i tell if my stang has a cam?

the guy i bought it from said he thinks it does but he isnt sure. is there an easy way to tell without pulling it out?
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Regular

1996 Mustang 5.0

96StAnG5.0 is on a distinguished road

Well you should bable to hear it or you can take it to any Mustang shop and thell bable to tell you also..BTW look at you water pump/timing chain cover it should have new gaskets because the cam sits rite behind that..Also,when you floor it,the car should REALLY kick in at 3000 rpms almost spinnin the tires off...

A Ricer is a stupid young idiot who thinks he is a car expert after watching The Fast and the Furious, Pimp My Ride, and playing Need For Speed Underground-LMFAO
Old May 12th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Enthusiast

1995 Mustang GT vert

johnGT is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 96StAnG5.0 View Post
Well you should bable to hear it or you can take it to any Mustang shop and thell bable to tell you also..BTW look at you water pump/timing chain cover it should have new gaskets because the cam sits rite behind that..Also,when you floor it,the car should REALLY kick in at 3000 rpms almost spinnin the tires off...
Yea you should definitely be able to tell by the sound. Long and loppy is what to look for. The car will also feel as though its "swaying" side to side at idle.

As for the kick in at 3000rpm...that's pretty relative. Stock peak torque is slightly over that anyway. It also depends on the cam. Some cams are for low-mid range power, some for the high end.
If the power kicks in quick or it feels like it wants to keep pulling past 5k then thats a pretty good sign.
Old May 12th, 2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Regular

1994 Mustang GT
unknown

sweet thanks sounds like it does...now i just gotta get outta afghanistan to drive my baby again....
Old May 12th, 2011, 03:28 PM   #5
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.82@100.26

BadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the rough

Some cams have a stock sounding duration though, just more lift. But if its loping then you definitely have one. That or a shit ton of vacuum leaks

If its got titts or tires, it's gonna give you problems.

Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
He has a 500rwhp 1990 5.0L with a cam who's lope takes virginity.
Originally Posted by Towelly View Post
Go find some Chill biscuits, dip them in some Calm the Fuck down sauce and chill the fuck out.
Old May 12th, 2011, 06:10 PM   #6
MM Fanatic

95 Mustang GT
depends how many people are pushing

95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice

This could not be any farther from the truth, this is not fast and furious, and its not a vtech kicking in Yo!
It is going to be hard to tell if you have an aftermarket cam, some cams idle like stock. Most likely the guy that sold you the car was just trying to talk the car up to you. If there are not many mods done to the car, and if it were to have a different cam most likely it would be a big lopey cam, because when people change them without having heads and intakes also, they are changing them for nothing more than the sound. The stock cam in these cars is pretty good, and there would be no reason to change it until you get all of your other mods done, I mean the very last thing.

People should think about boarding up their glass house before starting a rock fight!

Last edited by 95StangMX; May 13th, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
Old May 12th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #7
Doc

1986 SVO
48.47@ 12.58

HMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond reputeHMUSN has a reputation beyond repute

I can guarantee you that it has a cam shaft/
Old May 12th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #8
Regular

1994 MUSTANG GT
15.15 @ 94.12

MANZO MUSTANG is on a distinguished road

no idle vids of your car?

1994 Ford Mustang GT, 306CHP(260rwhp)
Auto,MM Full Length SFC, otherwise stock suspension.
Old May 13th, 2011, 01:53 AM   #9
Regular

1994 Mustang GT
unknown

no vids or pics yet im sittin in afghanistan waiting to get home and play with her some more....she was down for a thrown harmonic balancer before i left....my exfiance fixed it for me....now i just gotta get the fiance back too....lol
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:34 AM   #10

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
14.769@93.753MPH

TOOtall20 is on a distinguished road

Pull the valve cover and put a dial indicator on the pushrod side of the rocker arm and measure the lift by rotating the engine over and compare to stock specs.
Old May 13th, 2011, 10:27 AM   #11
MM Fanatic

2002 Mustang GT
13.82@100.26

BadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the roughBadBlackGT is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by HMUSN View Post
I can guarantee you that it has a cam shaft/
Dammit, wish I woulda been a smartass lol... I used to say this all the time lol.

If its got titts or tires, it's gonna give you problems.

Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
He has a 500rwhp 1990 5.0L with a cam who's lope takes virginity.
Originally Posted by Towelly View Post
Go find some Chill biscuits, dip them in some Calm the Fuck down sauce and chill the fuck out.
Old May 13th, 2011, 03:29 PM   #12
Regular

1996 Mustang 5.0

96StAnG5.0 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 95StangMX View Post
This could not be any farther from the truth, this is not fast and furious, and its not a vtech kicking in Yo!
It is going to be hard to tell if you have an aftermarket cam, some cams idle like stock. Most likely the guy that sold you the car was just trying to talk the car up to you. If there are not many mods done to the car, and if it were to have a different cam most likely it would be a big lopey cam, because when people change them without having heads and intakes also, they are changing them for nothing more than the sound. The stock cam in these cars is pretty good, and there would be no reason to change it until you get all of your other mods done, I mean the very last thing.
How is it futher from the truth!?!? If it has new gaskets on the waterpump/timing chain cover, that is a sign that at one point 'other then the manufactor' it HAS been off and the cam site behind it so most likely the guy got the gaskets from autozone so its either Felpro Gaskets "blue color" or Mr.Gasket "a white cream color"...

Not everyone has money/knownledge to do a complete tear down of the topend and put it together so what do you do? Minor bolt on's and a Cam if you have the GT40 topend or some aftermarket intake manifold... Either way,you put a cam on a STOCK 5.0 theres some HP gains,not much maybe 5-8 lets say,if you have mods to go with eachother ,full exhaust,heads and upper/lower intake manifold that gain could be in the 15-25 range so it all depends but no matter what,its still a gain..

A Ricer is a stupid young idiot who thinks he is a car expert after watching The Fast and the Furious, Pimp My Ride, and playing Need For Speed Underground-LMFAO
Old May 15th, 2011, 02:47 PM   #13

94cobra pace,95gt98cobra

rag-top_man is on a distinguished road

+1 TOOtall20 THATS how to see w/o tear down! remove rocker cover measure the lift w/dial indicator most aftermarket cams increase the lift you might be able to figure out the brand also.
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:29 AM   #14
MM Fanatic

95 Mustang GT
depends how many people are pushing

95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice95StangMX is just really nice

How is it futher from the truth!?!? If it has new gaskets on the waterpump/timing chain cover, that is a sign that at one point 'other then the manufactor' it HAS been off and the cam site behind it so most likely the guy got the gaskets from autozone so its either Felpro Gaskets "blue color" or Mr.Gasket "a white cream color"...

Not everyone has money/knownledge to do a complete tear down of the topend and put it together so what do you do? Minor bolt on's and a Cam if you have the GT40 topend or some aftermarket intake manifold... Either way,you put a cam on a STOCK 5.0 theres some HP gains,not much maybe 5-8 lets say,if you have mods to go with eachother ,full exhaust,heads and upper/lower intake manifold that gain could be in the 15-25 range so it all depends but no matter what,its still a gain..
Was talking more about the fact about feeling it kick in, and or hearing it. Also the chances of gaskets being replaced on a 25+ year old car without changing the cam are still pretty good, its possible they changed the cam if said gaskets are new, but its also a possibility that other work needed to be done and those gaskets have been changed. You are going to get no seat of the pants feel out of just swapping the cam, the factory cam is more than enough to keep up until the top end starts getting modded, the heads and intakes are the bottle neck, not the cam. Anyone replacing it without doing the top end is doing it purely for the sound, not HP gains.

People should think about boarding up their glass house before starting a rock fight!
Old May 16th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #15
Regular

1965 Ford Mustang

fordrule is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to fordrule Send a message via Yahoo to fordrule

how can you tell what alphabet cam came with the engine? mine is a 94 HO motor? I just want to make sure when I install my explorer intake on it it wont hurt me.

94 GT 5.0, CAI/Hurst/mac long tubes, x-tubes,flowmasters/underdrive pullies/3.73 gears
Old May 17th, 2011, 03:13 PM   #16

1995 Mustang GT 5.0
14.769@93.753MPH

TOOtall20 is on a distinguished road

And with the way i said you can also figure out all the cam card specs with the right procedure and if you could figure out a way to get a degree wheel on the crank. Personally though I have never degreed a cam while the motor was still in the car.
But as I said before you can definitely find the total lift.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: how can i tell if my stang has a cam?
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Will a 4r70w from a V6 stang bolt up to a V8 stang? jrfan4life 99 - 04 4 September 25th, 2010 02:49 PM
stang sounds diff is my stang missing a part ?? martinez23 V6 Mustangs 4 June 9th, 2009 11:31 AM
Stang Vs. Stang (1st kill) MustangJon255 2005 - 2010 18 November 16th, 2007 01:56 PM
Stang vs Stang at Moroso ShawnyB Drag 0 May 7th, 2007 04:21 PM