5.0 Engine swap in a 99 V6 Mustang
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs > 94-95

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (4) Thread Tools
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:11 PM   4 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

1999 Mustang

99FiveOh is on a distinguished road

5.0 Engine swap in a 99 V6 Mustang

I thought I'd share my build/project with you guys. I am very proud of it and I think it turned out quite well. This is basically copied and pasted because well, I really didn't want to retype it all! lol

Basically taking the drivetrain/wiring/computer out of my 94 GT and swapping it all into my newly acquired 99 6 shooter.

I will try and be very thorough and take lots of pics in case this question comes up in the future or someone is seriously contemplating doing it themselves.

I'm going to polish every single thing that can be polished under the hood. I'm not going to seal up any holes or go crazy like that, but I may put a fresh coat of paint on the engine bay while the engine is out.

I'll post pics of both rides tomorrow, you can see one right now in my sig. BTW, I will have many extra parts that I will be selling throughout and at the end so if you need something just ask.

1999 Mustang Vert converted to 5.0 EFI with Vortech V2 SQ, Edelbrock Performer intake, BBK shorties, O/R H, Flowmasters, 42lb injectors, 75mm Pro-M with MAFia extender, 255lph fuel pump. SCT tuned 370 rwhp 400 rwtq. Click for Swap Thread
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:13 PM   #2
Regular

1999 Mustang

My 94:

I spent lots of time rebuilding the interior of this car last year, but upon really taking a closer look at the undercarriage I can see that it's all beat up pretty good. No rust, but it's just too much work to get the underside of the car looking straight and clean. Plus it has "another" issue I can't talk about.

My new 99 V6:

I just picked this car up and the undercarriage looks brand new! No oil, grease or anything. It has a few cosmetic issues on the body, but for the price I paid I'll live with it. The interior is super clean aside from the front seats. And it just so happens I have 2 mint condition charcoal seats out of a 02 GT in my 94. So they'll be making their new home in the vert after all is said and done.

Here's the game plan:

First I'll strip the 94 down putting everything I'm going to need in their own marked boxes and bags. I'm planning to pressure wash the nasty K member and painting it before reinstalling into the 99. I'm thinking I can use the A arms from the 99 so I'll keep the track width. In that case, they are super clean already and need no attention.

The engine will be getting an Edelbrock Performer RPM intake setup. The rest of the longblock will be stock, I'm going to replace things like timing chain, oil pump, balancer, motor mounts and gaskets. Like I said before, everything made out of aluminum will be polished except for maybe the engine brackets.. thinking I might powder coat them. I will also put a quick coat of paint on the naked engine bay once all the wiring and such it out of the way, Perfect time to do it wouldn't you say?

Once I'm this far, I'll begin gutting the interior in the vert to remove the wiring harnesses as well as the dash to get to it's harness. Bascially every single wire harness in the 94 MUST be reinstalled in the 99 to make this work. I'm dreading fishing the harnesses back through the doors because I know it's a pita! But while the dash is out might be the pefect opportunity to do it.

Underneath I will have to take down all the fuel lines and tank and swap the 94 stuff in. I might install a new high pressure fuel pump sine I plan to supercharge it later on.

Once all that is done it will be a simple engine/tranny swap. I hope to have a rear end waiting to go in, but if I don't I'll roll with the 7.5 for a little while cause I don't want to run the more narrow 8.8 in my 94. 3/4" on each side is just too much I think. (edit: I'm going to run the 94 rear since finding a 99 up 8.8 is proving to be difficult. I will run spacers to correct the length issue.)

Things that I'm not sure how to do or have no plan for and will have to wing:

Getting the top to work
Getting the keyless entry to work
Transmission Crossmember
Powering the windows for the rear quarter windows.

1999 Mustang Vert converted to 5.0 EFI with Vortech V2 SQ, Edelbrock Performer intake, BBK shorties, O/R H, Flowmasters, 42lb injectors, 75mm Pro-M with MAFia extender, 255lph fuel pump. SCT tuned 370 rwhp 400 rwtq. Click for Swap Thread
Old July 25th, 2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Regular

1999 Mustang

Here's the engine that came out of the 94. It was really disgusting with grease and dirt caked up everywhere. I think it was leaking out of every possible location!

After mounting the engine on a stand, I pulled it all apart and cleaned the block and heads to prepare them for paint. I painted the engine block gloss black and the heads aluminum color.

All the engine brackets, timing cover and pulleys were brought to my good friends at Custom Coatings here in St. Augustine to get powder coated. Pulleys all got done in black and the brackets and timing cover were done in chrome powder. They also ceramic coated my headers which my company finished with the buffing/polishing.

The headers in their "pre polished" ceramic coat:

Here's the engine all cleaned up and mocked up on the stand:

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Regular

1999 Mustang

99 'Stang tear down

Now the real fun begins with tearing down the 99. I hated to do it because at some point I knew I'd reach the point of no return. First order of business was to get rid of this:

Then came time to pull the complete interior out of the car:

After I had the dash out, I was then able to see the differences between them. Even though they were very similar, there were certain things like the fuse panel that would now bolt into the 99's dash frame. So I just went ahead and swapped the dash cover from the 99 to the 94's dash frame. It all went together perfectly! Here's a shot of the two dashes side by side, the 94 dash being on top:

I then removed the entire front clip of the car to access all the wiring harnesses and various accessories like the cruise control motor and electric smog pump.

Here's the K member in the 99 that had to be removed. If you notice the engine mounting pads are positioned more on top of the k member rather than more towards the front of the car like a 94/95 Mustang.

Here's the 94's K member after totally disassembling it, pressure washing it and hitting it with some rattle can white.

This is the k member and my freshly painted 94 GT sway bar installed:

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:46 PM   #5
Regular

1999 Mustang

Fuel system changes

Since the 99 Mustang has a return-less type fuel system, it would not work for this swap. All the lines, wiring and fuel tank has to be replaced with the 94's parts. I didn't get any pics of the work underneath mostly due to the fact there wasn't much room under there (did all this on the ground). But you'll find that most of the fuel line retainer clips are held in place by rivets, and a few have 8mm bolts holding them on. So take a BFH and sharp chisel underneath with you.

Here's a pic of the 2 tanks side by side. The one with the huge fuel pump in the center and all the hoses going everywhere is the 99. The 94 setup is much simpler

It's worth noting that most of the holes lines up perfectly to remount the 94's fuel lines back to the underside of the 99. However, the 94 runs all their brake lines and fuel lines separate while the 99 combined them. So a little creativity was required to run them back together. I will certainly take pics and edit this post whenever I get the car up on a lift.

Old July 25th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Regular

1999 Mustang

Reassembly

With the fuel system swapped out and every single wiring harness swapped over from the 94 GT, now it was time to install the motor.

Here's a blurry pic of the motor almost completely assembled on the stand

The engine hanging from the hoist. I went ahead and installed the clutch, bell housing and trans while it was hanging on the hoist.

Next we began setting the engine back into the car. These were some fine moments for me! The moments I was waiting for since I first bought the 99!

The motor was now sitting in it's new home. It got dark so these where the last pics I had taken for the evening:

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:02 PM   #7
Regular

1999 Mustang

Completion

Next we began hooking up all the wiring , hoses and fuel lines. Reinstalled the battery. Then we installed the upper intake along with the fox throttle body and spacer. We had to get creative with the induction piping. For this we used a CAI for a 94/95 car up to the MAF. The we connected the MAF to the throttle body using a modified 99-04 GT CAI elbow pipe. We had to cut about 1.5" off the elbow where it connected to the t-body to make it clear the strut tower.

I reassembled the front clip:

And of course I reassembled the interior.

**I don't have many new interior pics, but intend to do a full high quality shoot of the car soon**

Here's the car all back together and ready for the road

and my little added to touch to throw some people off a little:

I ran into a few snags right at the end. Had a dead injector causing a miss, replaced the injector and fixed that issue.

top wouldn't work and I figured out that since the harness came from my 94 coupe, the fuse panel was missing a fuse for the vert top. Put a fuse in and tops works great now.

All my electronics are working as they should now with the only splice in the entire process being the driver seat harness. The 99 has 4 wires and the 94 only has 2. Was easy, I just combined the wires, soldered and all is well.

I've now put over 200 miles on this car over the weekend and it runs perfect! I'm super happy with it and I'm glad to have gone through the many HOT and SWEATY days to get it to where it is!!

If anyone considers this swap, I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Old July 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #8
Regular

1999 Mustang

dp

Last edited by 99FiveOh; July 25th, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:03 PM   #9
Regular

1999 Mustang

triple post

Last edited by 99FiveOh; July 25th, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old July 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM   #10
Regular

1999 Mustang

Can I please get a mod to delete 2 of the 3 triple posts above. The site is completely unresponsive when I try to edit or do anything other than post. Thank you.

Old July 25th, 2011, 04:38 PM   #11
Enthusiast

1995 Mustang GT

marq.fcb will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to marq.fcb

nice work

how much HP you get with CAI and Edelbrock intake ?

MUSTANG - The Car That Never Got Old Just Got New
Old July 25th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #12
Bringing Yellow Back

2002 mustang gt
12.2 at 117

zinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to beholdzinc-vert02 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via MSN to zinc-vert02

thats pretty cool

Stock long block 2v, stock trans, 100 shot of go fast gas. 315hp and 430 trq on spray
Old July 25th, 2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Regular

1999 Mustang

Originally Posted by marq.fcb View Post
nice work

how much HP you get with CAI and Edelbrock intake ?
Not sure. I'm guessing I'm probably in the neighborhood of 215-220 to the tires. I think the RPM is worth at least 20 hp, figure 5 or so for the CAI, the stocker is pretty restrictive.

It's not really built for power because, well, considering what was in the car before it's a HUGE upgrade. I plan to purchase a 351 longblock out of a lightning and supercharging it just the way it is. I hope to be up around 500 to the tires with that setup and about 15 psi of boost from an S trim.

Old July 25th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #14

1999 Mustang V6

Red90gsx is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the great write up. Reliable information on the 99+ 5.0l swap is hard to come by and pictures even harder. Did you end up using the 99 A-arms with the 94 K member? Everything I've read always said you shouldn't do so. I'm planning on doing a similar swap on my 99 ,and I was thinking I would have to run a tubular K member to retain the newer A arms.
Old July 26th, 2011, 07:46 AM   #15
Regular

1999 Mustang

Yes, I used the 99 A arms on the 94 K member. I did this because I wanted to keep my track width in the front as the 94/95's are more narrow.

What was the reasoning for not using them when you read up on it?

Old July 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM   #16

1999 Mustang V6

This was what I read. Mustang Spindle Install and Upgrade Warning : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
Basically it messes up your steering geometry. MM sells a K-member for this application but you have to use their a arms and hardware ect and the kit is almost 2 grand. The only other option I could really find was a custom made K member from PAracing.com which allows you to use you factory 96+ a arms. Its around $300 depending on options you select. I didnt think the 96+ arms would even fit but even though yours did I would look into one of those options or switch to the 94 arms off your GT as it may be a serious safety issue.
Old July 26th, 2011, 10:55 AM   #17
Regular

1999 Mustang

Safety issue? I highly doubt it. If this setup causes even slightly more bumpsteer they'll use that to try and sell you something. MM is a great company, but hey are out to make money so they will "warn" you about these things in hopes you'll spend that 2 grand on their parts. I've now put over 300 miles on this car since I got it built and have driven over some of the bumpiest roads around here and she drives just like she always has.

I have no complaints except that my alignment is slightly out of wack so it does weird things when I hit the brakes. The wheels will always find their own track, but the brakes will force them back into the built in track when they are applied, so it goes wacky!

The only difference that I've read about between the various years of A arms is the length of them. I will run this setup until there is reason to change it. I will give them a call though and pick they brains a little and I'll also call some other trusted sources for info too.

Old July 26th, 2011, 11:03 AM   #18
Regular

1999 Mustang

Originally Posted by Red90gsx View Post
This was what I read. Mustang Spindle Install and Upgrade Warning : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!
Basically it messes up your steering geometry. MM sells a K-member for this application but you have to use their a arms and hardware ect and the kit is almost 2 grand. The only other option I could really find was a custom made K member from PAracing.com which allows you to use you factory 96+ a arms. Its around $300 depending on options you select. I didnt think the 96+ arms would even fit but even though yours did I would look into one of those options or switch to the 94 arms off your GT as it may be a serious safety issue.
In my setup, I retained the 99 A arms, spindles and brakes, the only change was to the 94 K member. I talked to Steeda just now cause MM is closed right now and they pretty much confirmed that you shouldn't mix and match spindles and A arms, but it's ok as long as the A arms stay with their spindles. So I'm at the exact same steering geometry that I was with the V6 in the car.

Old July 26th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #19

1999 Mustang V6

I certainly agree about being weary of advise from someone trying to sell you something. I might be a slightly paranoid because I have to two young children I drive around in the mustang sometimes. If you're comfortable with the setup that's all that really matters. If I decide to go with the 5.0 swap I'll most likely just swap in the full 94/95 suspension just in case.
Old July 26th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #20
Regular

1999 Mustang

I think I see what they are saying now. The 94/95 K member has the rack and pinion sitting higher relative to the spindles. And since the 99 up spindle has a lower tie rod mounting point I now have a pretty sharp angle with the steering arms going downward to meet the spindles.

I will be lowering my car which should help some and I'll see about getting some offset bushings for the rack and I can lower the rack even more. I think I can make this work without buying a new K member. I just don't trust K members that are made with bicycle tubing! lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/94-95/227213-5-0-engine-swap-99-v6-mustang.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread 99 v6 mustang 351w and 8.8 rear end swap | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback May 13th, 2012 11:17 PM
Thread 1999 V6 Mustang 3.8 engine swap to 4.2. Check engine light help | Mustang Forums for All lFord Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback March 22nd, 2012 12:53 PM
Thread 5.0 Engine swap in a 99 V6 Mustang | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback January 19th, 2012 10:56 PM
5.0 Engine swap in a 99 V6 Mustang This thread Refback October 2nd, 2011 09:25 AM

Threads Similar to: 5.0 Engine swap in a 99 V6 Mustang
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1995 Mustang Engine Swap mustang3194 4V / SVT 132 February 26th, 2011 12:52 PM
68 Mustang engine swap question bigredpaintbllr Classic Mustangs 10 July 21st, 2009 02:24 PM
67 mustang engine swap need advice Atoka Jim Classic Mustangs 5 April 22nd, 2009 12:11 PM
Possible engine swap for '00 Mustang? drumming_guitarist06 V6 Mustangs 13 August 15th, 2007 12:04 AM
99 to 02 Mustang GT engine swap? damianojeda 99 - 04 5 August 22nd, 2006 08:23 AM