Clutch cable problems
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs > 94-95

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old March 1st, 2012, 02:14 AM   #1
Regular

2001 Cobra

primetizzle is on a distinguished road

Clutch cable problems

I am just about ready to drive this damn car off a cliff with all the shit it's given me over the last six months....someone please help....
since I got the car about 8-9 months ago all I've been doing is trying to fix all the mistakes the previous owner had done to the car. As far as the clutch cable goes the car has a spec 2 racing clutch and heavy duty flywheel. The car had some bullshit knock off brand adjustable clutch cable when I got the car. On a very wonderful 110 degree Bakersfield day the plastic gromet that holds the line in place on the bell housing snapped. All I could do was replace it with an Autozone cable that was in stock. That cable lasted me a hole 3 days before the rubber at the fire wall just grenaded. I took that cable back and warrantied it for another one...needless to say that one actually snapped...yes the braided cable snapped in two..anyway I replaced the quadrant, firewall adjuster and cable today with the BBK full set up...well an hour after install the rubber on the firewall grenaded also....there has to be a clutch cable out there made to run with these heavy dutie clutches
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2012, 02:28 AM   #2
4 cam 4 life

1989 LX Coupe
6.1@111mph

NeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of light

Stock. From Ford. Nothing else. And make sure your quadrant is aligned perfectly with the hole going though the firewall.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 06:20 PM   #3
Regular

2001 Cobra

primetizzle is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry I couldn't read anything you typed...all I see is titties!!!
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:36 PM   #4
4 cam 4 life

1989 LX Coupe
6.1@111mph

NeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of lightNeverEnuff is a glorious beacon of light

I get that answer more than anything else...lol.
Old March 12th, 2012, 11:35 PM   #5

1994 Mustang GT

dj94gt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
Stock. From Ford. Nothing else. And make sure your quadrant is aligned perfectly with the hole going though the firewall.
x2, and the titties are nice
Old November 1st, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
I NEED A TURBO!!!

1995 Mustang Cobra

Stangman1989 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
yes this what i did to mine works perfect
Old November 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM   #7
Enthusiast

1998 Mustang GT Convert.

drakkhen20 is on a distinguished road

i still have the old OEM cable myself, havent had a problem with it at all. primetizzle, im going through the exact same thing you are though. i baught mine around the same time ago and ive been doing nothing but fixing and beating out all the bugs the last owner put into the car. ive already replaced my tranny, clutch, flywheel, and now its looking like the rearend gears are going. i feel the same way you do sometimes, everytime i fix something, something else breaks,lol. the other day i was driving her home right after installing the 21 gear so my speedo would be right and my speedo just went dead. i had thought i grinded the gear up. but no. the yellow gear that goes around my output shaft fell off( longer story) well, no big deal right. me and wife and kid decided to go shopping and i took the stang. well after that i was driving and heard, crunching, clicking, tapping. there a little metal clamp that holds that gear on there and i guess 5th gear decided it wanted to eat it. so now i have to take it all apart again. sorry about the long post. but i completely understand the frustrations with the tranny stuff. im so fed up with mine im actually considering selling her. but good luck man, id try the OEM cable. thats what mine has. the bbk quadrant, oem cable, and thats it.
Old November 2nd, 2012, 12:54 AM   #8
Regular

1995 mustang gt

Forest*SN95*50 is on a distinguished road

Clutch Cable, Quadrant, and Firewall Adjuster Package [MMCP-51] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

this is what I have been using for over 2 years now and It works great and is a quality item.
Old November 3rd, 2012, 02:18 AM   #9
Enthusiast

1998 Mustang GT Convert.

being we are on this subject. i recently put a new clutch and all that behind it in. so when i drive this thing or even just engage the clutch its not engaging til at least 3 inches before i let off and it completely up. ive heard its supposed to be 3 inches from the floor and then it engages. so shouldnt i need an adjustable cable or what?
Old November 3rd, 2012, 03:33 AM   #10
Regular

1996 Mustang Cobra

Cobra96 is on a distinguished road

My stock cable took a crap on me so I got a Ford adjustable cable from Summit, a Steeda quick release quadrant and a Steeda firewall adjuster. After adjusting everything just right, my clutch releases like you said 3 inches or so from the very top, but I've been use to driving my Cobra for years with it releasing at the bottom. So now with all that making my clutch grab harder and my newish 4.10s, people around town probably think I'm a first time 5-speed driver lol

1996 Triple Black Cobra
-SCT X3/SF3 Bama tuned
-Ford Racing 4.10s
-Ram HDX Clutch
-9in/10.5 FR500's
-BBK Offroad X pipe
-SLP LoudMouth 1's
-MGW Short Throw
-255/40 315/35 Nitto 555's
-Eibach Lowering Springs
-Mishimoto 3 core Radiator
Old November 4th, 2012, 01:07 AM   #11
Enthusiast

1998 Mustang GT Convert.

lmao, yeah thats like me. i had an 07 gt and got used to that nice new clutch and this ones diffrent. so did all that fix it or are you still dealing with the "first timer clutch" issue? i didnt knwo ford made an adjustable one. you still got the part number? what exactly does the firewall adjuster adjust anyway?
Old November 4th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #12
Regular

1999 Mustang

99FiveOh is on a distinguished road

Every single aftermarket adjustable cable is crap! What surprises me most is that these companies KNOW their cables are crap but do nothing to make them better.

So yeah, get a stock cable from a junkyard or new from Ford(40 bucks I think) and you'll be set. Then just adjust it with your firewall adjuster. If you have any issues finding an oem cable I have an extra one lying around, we could work something out.

1999 Mustang Vert converted to 5.0 EFI with Vortech V2 SQ, Edelbrock Performer intake, BBK shorties, O/R H, Flowmasters, 42lb injectors, 75mm Pro-M with MAFia extender, 255lph fuel pump. SCT tuned 370 rwhp 400 rwtq. Click for Swap Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Clutch cable problems
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
clutch makes noise after replacing the clutch cable BlkStallion89 5.0 Mustangs 9 December 6th, 2011 10:04 PM
Clutch and clutch cable problems greystang92 V6 Mustangs 2 July 22nd, 2011 07:54 PM
Clutch Cable Problems KansasCityGT General Tech 0 July 20th, 2008 02:43 PM
CLUTCH AND CLUTCH CABLE MAJOR PROBLEMS Hububula 5.0 Mustangs 3 May 28th, 2007 10:08 AM
Getting My Clutch Quadrant, Adjustable Clutch Cable and 97Cobra 4V / SVT 3 May 2nd, 2007 02:33 PM