Modded Mustang Forums banner

OBD 1 or 2?

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Zak 
#1 ·
94 mustangs are what OBD 1 or 2? I know its a stupid qquestion but I couldnt find any info on the web about it. Thanks guys. Also I'm not a complete idiot about mustangs. I usually go to a different forum but they arent as helpful anymore, haha they banned the guys that "know" mustangs....

#3 ·
holy crap I havent heard from you since the days at mustangforums...... Does OBD 1 store codes or no? Is the only way to get codes off of it when the check engine light is on?

#5 ·
unfortunetly autozone will only do OBDII and not EEC-IV/OBDI but you can get the scanners fairly cheap they even sell them at sears in the automotive section or you can use some wire and a multimeter to pull the codes by watching the needle sweeps.

#11 ·
Stupid Newbie Question:

Does the ECU have anything to do with whether OBD1 or OBD2 is what you come up with? My '94 has been chipped with a Hypertech programmable ECU and I'm wondering if this has any effect on things like realtime stats, and whether or not I can get a USB interface cable and collect stats on my laptop or not... I have a Hypertech 554001 and can't find anything else online about what it's capable of, how it actually works, or if this is similar to replacing the '94's computer with the computer from the '93 version.

This seemed to be the thread to ask on.

Thanks!

#13 ·
Manual... that's my transmission, right?

All kidding aside, I have to look and see if the manual is in the box that came with the car... because I didn't do any of the mods to date.

However, it's going to be my project car, so I'll be doing lots more mods in the near future.

Anyway, I'll look and see if I have a book to go with the hypertech.

Thanks,
J

#14 ·
ArmchairDeity said:
Stupid Newbie Question:

Does the ECU have anything to do with whether OBD1 or OBD2 is what you come up with? My '94 has been chipped with a Hypertech programmable ECU and I'm wondering if this has any effect on things like realtime stats, and whether or not I can get a USB interface cable and collect stats on my laptop or not... I have a Hypertech 554001 and can't find anything else online about what it's capable of, how it actually works, or if this is similar to replacing the '94's computer with the computer from the '93 version.

This seemed to be the thread to ask on.

Thanks!
this is all i could come up with;

install guide: http://www.hypertech-inc.com/get_installinstruction.php?iid=68

powermodule information: http://www.hypertech-inc.com/powermodule.html

for the more specific questions i would call hypertech at (901)382-8888 or talk to your local tuning shop or authorized hypertech reseller.

#15 ·
Thanks 99mustang232, that's what I came up with too... I'm a bit surprised that there's not more information available on this.

It seems to be a CA-only chip, and my biggest question was whether or not this supplies OBD II as part of the upgrade and whether or not this thing requires manual tuning to get the car to benefit from it.

It appears that the answer to both is "no" but I'll check to see if I have any documentation when I get home. If I do, I'll post what I find here.

Thanks everyone...

J

#16 ·
Autotech said:
The haynes manual shows you how to jump the diagnostic conector with a paper clip and flash codes buy counting the check engine light flashes and also has a full list of OBD I codes for the mustang .... wish i would have got to this thread sooner and might have saved you thirty bucks....
That's correct..

You can also learn it from Tengram at my5oh.com tech source by clicking here:

My5oh.com How to do a Self-Test

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.