Modded Mustang Forums banner

94 cobra borg warner transmission?

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  94pacecarSVT 
#1 ·
ok right now in the works for my car is a 347 stroker with h-beams, 4340 steel crank, forged probe srs race pistons. all on a boss 302 block. trick flow R series intake, trick flow stage 2 cam, afr 205's. i got 4.10's, 75mm tb, 76mm maf w/ cai, udp's, tri axe shifter, mac longtubes, mac o/r h, flowmasters, blah blah blah. full bolt ons. w/ this im addin a 255lph fuel pump w/ reg. and 42lb injectors. msd pro billet dist. a maximum motorsports front/rear coil over conversion. i plan on either puttin a vortech or a 88mm turbo on it next year. what i want to know is...do i need to get a better tranny? or can i build the borg warner t5 to handle that much power? or, how long could my car handle that setup on the stock tranny before it S!#*'s on me?

#2 ·
You're going to be putting down some serious hp with what you have planned. The stock t-5 is not going to want anything to do with it. If it was just the 347 and you never powershifted it it MIGHT be okay. Adding the turbo though, nope not gonna last. I would suggest going with a gforce t-5 G-Force Transmissions and Long Shifters That or a t-56, whichever one you could afford.

#3 ·
Here is what I think you should do..well you probably should do so you don't blow up anything unexpectantly or lose the real potential of your combination:

*42 lb injectors / 75mm MAF - I really don't think that this size injectors and MAF will support the power potential of the combination. If I were to swap injectors in your case it would be at least 60lb injector / even better fuel rails then the sn95's, and some bigger fuel lines and a different rear fuel pump strategy (aeromotive or something with a BAP with the 255 you going to).

*Cam..please get a custom cam...more power and probably better drivability

*Coilover work best if you already have the MM K-member, TQ, and Panhard bar.

*As far as your transmission goes remember there are other pieces to the puzzle. Chances are you will smoke your clutch before the transmission. Depending on your driving style you can go for a spec clutch or even one of the new twin disk setups(i.e. Mcleoud<sp?>). Alot of it depends on what kind of traction you have. You can baby the drivetrain and that will save the clutch/transmission, but they will be on borrowed time. To be safe I would run a tko500/600 or even move up to a viper 6spd or something. If you ran slicks you would probably grenade your stock clutch or have some seriously dangerous stock driveshaft/axles:3gears. I hope this helps.

#4 ·
thanks. ya know the more and more i get into this, the more stuff that i find i have overlooked or just neglected as far as upgrading is concerned. lol. my project went from 7 grand to about 15 in a few days of reviewing and revising. now that i read your response i realize that i should probably beef up my rear end as well. what kind of driveshaft should i get for it to make it stronger/safer? Aluminum? and is there anywhere i could find a used tko600, like on the internet or something? i dont understand about the fuel system though. when i talked my plans over with kelby and harris racing he recomended a 255lph pump with 42# injectors, although he did say it wouldnt hurt to go bigger on the injectors. and my fuel rails arent stock, but i dont know what kind they are. i apologize for so many questions, i just want to make sure i dont overlook anything or put wrong parts on my combination. thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it.

#5 ·
check out the classifieds at Ford Mustang Forums News and Classifieds and keep an eye out for that tranny... i think there's a tko500 on there right now, but just look around and you might find it. look on ebay too. put up a wanted ad here on MM.

i wouldn't recommend anything but Moser for rear end stuff... check out there website. an aluminum driveshaft with your tko600 and some 31 spline axles should do the trick for ya.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.