Idling Problem with 1995 Mustang GT
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > 5.0 Mustangs > 94-95

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 3rd, 2008, 01:32 AM   #1

1995 Mustang GT

95gt_stang is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Idling Problem with 1995 Mustang GT

I just recently bought my 1995 mustang gt, and it didnt have the air installed on it. The compressor was off and everything. So i installed one back on it and put r-134 back in it. But when i crank it up, it idles up and down for a little bit between 500 and 1000 rpms for a few minutes, then cuts off. But when i turn the air on inside, the car runs fine. Can anyone help me with this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Because im kinda stuck right now.
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2008, 04:21 AM   #2
Banned

AdderMk2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to AdderMk2

you need wipe the KAM in the ECM, and do a base idle relearn

you have the infamous "idle surge" the reason why it goes away with the A/C turned on is because the ECM tells the IAC to open up a litle bit to raise your idle. this negates the added drag from the a/c clutch being engaged. In your cars case, it helps the motor keep from choking
[QUOTE=Timm10221]Its only a 10 inch Tach that sits right in the center of the dash with LED lights and a Spinner bezel that has dimonds and gold plating.. And when you hit 4500 plus is sounds off (AAHHH SHITT) :cool:[/QUOTE]
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #3

Ryno8705 is on a distinguished road

If you have idling problems with both the A/C and defroster then replace the A/C cycling switch on the dryer.

Also +1 on the base idle reset... if you don't know how then search the forums, if you have no luck ask here
Old August 6th, 2008, 05:57 PM   #4

The edit button didn't show up on my previous post so I could edit it but I mention the cycling switch because if it goes bad it can send false signals to your computer and long story short make idle fluxuate 100-200 RPMs. My 5.0's cycling switch went bad but would turn the compressor on (not the normal side effect of a cycling switch I know). When I replaced it for $17 after reading about it on a different forum, Poof my idle "surge" went away. However, it only did it on the A/C and defroster setting. You mention that your surge goes away so my suggestion probably wont work in this case. Definitely do the base idle reset first and see what happens.

Last edited by Ryno8705; August 6th, 2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #5

1995 Mustang GT

Originally Posted by Ryno8705 View Post
The edit button didn't show up on my previous post so I could edit it but I mention the cycling switch because if it goes bad it can send false signals to your computer and long story short make idle fluxuate 100-200 RPMs. My 5.0's cycling switch went bad but would turn the compressor on (not the normal side effect of a cycling switch I know). When I replaced it for $17 after reading about it on a different forum, Poof my idle "surge" went away. However, it only did it on the A/C and defroster setting. You mention that your surge goes away so my suggestion probably wont work in this case. Definitely do the base idle reset first and see what happens.
are you talking about the high pressure switch?
Old August 14th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #6

no. the switch on the dryer by the firewall. It's the cycling switch, not the high pressure cut-off switch (loacted by the fan shroud). Look on your dryer by the firewall, its a two pin connector that if you take the connector off you will see a flat head set screw inside the harness cavity (it adjusts what pressure the switch signals the compressor to turn on or off) but you shouldn't have to adjust it. I mention it as a reference point.

Last edited by Ryno8705; August 14th, 2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old August 14th, 2008, 11:03 PM   #7

1995 Mustang GT

no. the switch on the dryer by the firewall. It's the cycling switch, not the high pressure cut-off switch (loacted by the fan shroud). Look on your dryer by the firewall, its a two pin connector that if you take the connector off you will see a flat head set screw inside the harness cavity (it adjusts what pressure the switch signals the compressor to turn on or off) but you shouldn't have to adjust it. I mention it as a reference point.
well i ran my own relay from that switch on the dryer momentarily. the guy at the a/c shop said that main relay on the radiator shroud is probably the reason my compressor isnt getting power.
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:28 PM   #8

Originally Posted by 95gt_stang View Post
well i ran my own relay from that switch on the dryer momentarily. the guy at the a/c shop said that main relay on the radiator shroud is probably the reason my compressor isnt getting power.
Sorry for not responding sooner.

The main relay on the radiator shroud? Correct me if I am wrong but the only AC sensor by the radiator is the high pressure cut off switch. If that's your problem then you have too much R134 in the system, i don't think that's your problem

Take the harness off the cycling switch and jump the connector, if your compressor turns on and you get cold air I'd replace that cycling switch. It takes a total of 1 minute to take the old switch out and put the new one in.

EDIT: I just read your initial post to refresh my memory of your problem... If it is your cycling switch that is causing your idle problems (which was my case) then take the harness off and see what happens to your idle. You can drive with that harness disconnected with no problem, your AC just wont turn on. Post your results and I'll try and respond faster.

Last edited by Ryno8705; August 21st, 2008 at 12:35 PM.
Old September 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM   #9

1995 Mustang GT

Sorry for not responding sooner.

The main relay on the radiator shroud? Correct me if I am wrong but the only AC sensor by the radiator is the high pressure cut off switch. If that's your problem then you have too much R134 in the system, i don't think that's your problem

Take the harness off the cycling switch and jump the connector, if your compressor turns on and you get cold air I'd replace that cycling switch. It takes a total of 1 minute to take the old switch out and put the new one in.

EDIT: I just read your initial post to refresh my memory of your problem... If it is your cycling switch that is causing your idle problems (which was my case) then take the harness off and see what happens to your idle. You can drive with that harness disconnected with no problem, your AC just wont turn on. Post your results and I'll try and respond faster.
are you talkin about the harness on the a/c compressor?
Old September 20th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #10

Originally Posted by 95gt_stang View Post
are you talkin about the harness on the a/c compressor?
Read above, i covered this already
Old September 21st, 2008, 04:11 PM   #11

1995 Mustang GT

Read above, i covered this already
oh sorry, i just got what you were talkin about, wel we did jump from that switch to the compressor and it worked, plus we just replaced that one too. its still not fixed. but the relay thing im talking about is the box on the radiator shroud that has one big plug with alot of wires goin to it that just plugs into it. the guy told me that it could be bad and that it has something to do with the a/c compressor cycling like it should.

and on another note, we raised the idle a little bit and i havent had as big of a problem with the weird idle. it only does it a little every now and then, its not as serious as it was though. could it be i just need to clean the IAC? or MAF sensor?
Old September 23rd, 2008, 01:21 AM   #12

The easy thing would be to try cleaning the IAC. If it does anything to your idle (good or bad) then replace it. Reason being is that if cleaning it does anything it's pretty much already shot. It's only a matter of time until it completely goes bad.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Threads Similar to: Idling Problem with 1995 Mustang GT
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
???? idling problem MustangMo V6 Mustangs 17 June 4th, 2008 10:14 AM
idling problem proracer97 5.0 Mustangs 3 February 15th, 2008 12:26 AM
Idling problem dothedew1654 94-95 9 November 3rd, 2007 05:01 PM
idling problem 02MiNeRaLgRaYGT 99 - 04 6 October 19th, 2007 06:29 PM
Idling problem 302pusher 5.0 Mustangs 4 August 1st, 2007 04:57 PM