4.6 sohc to 5.4 dohc
Forums at Modded Mustangs
Home Register FAQ Members List Calendar Timeslips Blogs Garage Gallery Auto Loans Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Go Back   Forums at Modded Mustangs > Mustang Forums > Modular Mustangs > 96 - 98

ModdedMustangs.com is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:40 AM   1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

c-zar is on a distinguished road

4.6 sohc to 5.4 dohc

Is somebody trying a 5.4 dohc on a gt?
I know the clearance problems on the hood and with the exhaust, but my question is more about ignition and fuel injection timing.
I know both engines use the same ckp and cmp sensors as well as the trigger wheels, but i would like to be 100% sure that the stock computer would make the correct timing. Any info would help. Thanks
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Regular

sxynerd is on a distinguished road

The biggest problem is the price of the intake. Everything else is nominal "IF" you're staying NA. The other problems come into play for supporting all the Tq, rear end, Trans and of course tires. I honestly don't think the Tq gains are worth the extra cost, unless it's something you "really" want to build or you already have the long block.

Here's my buddies old car.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:47 PM   #3
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

I got the 5.4 out of a 2000 navigator for 300 dlls, i also have the hole wiring harness and computer but i dont want to change the harness or the computer if it is not necessary. I think hps makes an intake for like $700, do you know any other options?
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Hardcore Enthusiast

97 Mustang GT
slower than the speed of smell

zigbigadoru will become famous soon enoughzigbigadoru will become famous soon enough

ummm no hps only makes an intake manifold for the 2v not the 4v. i think for the 4v you have to use an aussie intake or a boss intake or something to that effect?
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:37 PM   #5
IBEATU

06 GT, 98 GT, & 93 Notch

stanglifemike is just really nicestanglifemike is just really nicestanglifemike is just really nicestanglifemike is just really nicestanglifemike is just really nice

I am also curious about this topic. I have a non-running 5.4 sohc now that I got for free. I know a guy who will sell me a running 5.4 dohc for $500. What to do, what to do....

98 GT: some stuff
06 GT: more stuff
93 Notch: 4 cyl at birth, now 5.0 drivetrain and stock exterior and interior= True Sleeper
Paxton/Vortech Crew Member #3

FRPP's #1 Dealer
Injected Engineering
BMR Suspension
Old January 4th, 2009, 02:41 PM   #6
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

Where can I get those intekes from? How much are they?
Old January 4th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Regular

The one that's on my buddies is custom. IDK who makes the intake, but I know they are made. Reichart racing (sp) used to make one.
Old January 4th, 2009, 06:39 PM   #8
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

Ok thanks. If there's no problem using the stock computer i'll go for it.
Old January 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Enthusiast

Boomer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Boomer Send a message via Yahoo to Boomer

Ford 5.4L DOHC single plane intake manifolds

I have a bit of information on doing the swap as well. I was going to build one myself but after pricing everything out I found I could build a push with more power for half the cost, 5.4 4valves look sweet in the engine compartment. As far as headers you may want to check with Kooks or Accufab to see if they make or have made them. You will be able to use the factory harness but you will need to lengthen some of it, the obvious is needing a tune. Good luck and be sure to take lots of photos to document your progress, it will be useful to help others that do the same swap and it is nice to look back at what you started with.
Old January 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Regular

MMR widens B headed 4.6 intakes to fit the 5.4...
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

As soon as I start the project I will post some pictures, thanks.
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:20 AM   #12
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

Any ideas of what is the best way to go on changing the fuel rail to a return type, cause I think the 2000 nevigator uses a returnless type system.
Old January 6th, 2009, 05:40 PM   #13
Regular

r3dn3ck will become famous soon enough

you don't have to change... keep your existing fuel system and just put the motor in. one doesn't necessarily require the other.

The HPS intake is available at 54

I recommend staying with the valve arrangement you have on your car if you want to do the swap. That keeps it retardedly simple. 2v stay 2v, 4v stay 4v. v6 can go either way but I'd recommend 2v as much of the GT and V6 parts are shared. The cobras get a lot of non-standard bits.

Header dyno results coming next week in theory. I'll keep y'all updated. Just finished moving into the new house so I'm back on the stang project.
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #14
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

The thing is that i have the 5.4 dohc already, and that hps intake wont fit on a 4v. I probably use the navigator computer so i can run cop and get it tuned.
Old January 7th, 2009, 10:36 AM   #15
Regular

no ...you don't have to run a different computer. It's just a tune! You can flash the stock ECU with a tune that'll run the thing just fine using a handheld and a mail order tune. It should be able to start and run the engine without a tune but I like to apply at least a base tune before the first fire up (the 4.6 factory tune won't idle a 5.4 well) if at all possible and then take it in to a dyno for final tuning. You can use coil packs to light the fires if your car is a 96-98, you don't need COP.

As for doing the 4v, it's a good bit more involved than just swapping in the bottom end and slapping your existing 2v heads on it. The power returns tend to be worth it but simplicity is out the door on that and cost goes up almost double.

My strategy has been to start with just ported 2v heads and hot cams, then I'll upgrade later on to the Trick Flow 2v heads or a set of hogged out 3v heads. I've got longtubes being made for that setup. HPS is considering doing a 3v intake based on the 2v intake as well which would make for a simple bolt in 3v upgrade and the potential for lots more top end. I had originally planned on going 4v but the flow numbers from the TF heads and ported 3v heads are close enough that I'll take the weight/cost/complexity savings and use nitrous to make up any difference.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #16
Enthusiast

prodrifterx is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to prodrifterx

if considering 3v swap. look into logan motorsports' Sn95 3v conversion.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:38 PM   #17
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

Ok, if there's no problem running my stock computer than i'll run with my coil packs and get a tune like you said.
Can I use a cobra flywheel? Because I have to change it to an 8 bolt. If I do that I need to change the clutch too?
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM   #18
Regular

you can use a cobra flywheel. It should work just fine with your stock clutch. If you're in a 00' or earlier car you should have no trouble.

note, 01.5-04 cars came with an 11" clutch. Earlier cars use the 10.5"
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #19
Regular

phoenix99 is on a distinguished road

My swap is almost done ! i only need to fix the mid pipe(pro chamber and it's done !
here's 2 small clip of it
more video to come !
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #20
Regular

98 cobra motor on 98 GT

that's awsome, what was the stock engine dohc or sohc? where did you get the intake manifold from?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-98/103958-4-6-sohc-5-4-dohc.html
Posted By For Type Date
5.4 dohc intake manifold for mustang - Local SmartShopping This thread Refback June 10th, 2013 03:57 AM

Threads Similar to: 4.6 sohc to 5.4 dohc
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
sohc to dohc usmc513 96 - 98 3 October 30th, 2007 04:59 PM
sohc to a dohc? gtdan 96 - 98 11 September 6th, 2007 01:53 AM
SOHC to DOHC energiesource 99 - 04 9 May 16th, 2007 10:06 AM
SOHC to DOHC NMR-2vGT 96 - 98 6 March 13th, 2007 10:51 AM
SOHC 4.6 to DOHC 4.6 rattlesnake28977 Modular Mustangs 8 December 6th, 2006 02:16 AM